Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-22, 10:17 AM  
kat999

I have the start of something like this. I even went to my gynecologist because for a bit I thought it was an ovarian cyst, but an ultrasound revealed no issue there. One thing that's helped is Essentrics and to mix up my workouts pretty frequently. For a while I was skipping everything "slower" and more flexibility-based, but several pains and injuries have reminded me that I absolutely must integrate a more well-rounded approach to my fitness, that it isn't all about an extreme calorie burn but that yoga, Pilates, and fusion workouts (as well as days spent doing very moderate walking) are more beneficial than seven days a week of very, very long sessions lifting heavy weights, doing tall box climbs, and running fast and for a long time/distance.
Old 04-01-22, 09:15 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Aloha Pam, thanks for sharing. Exactly what exercises are you doing to address weak glutes and tight quads?

i have nagging left hip pain. doctor x-rayed me last year and no issues were found. i chalked it up to an old tailbone injury from the early 90s. it doesn't always hurt, but i wish i knew why it did. right hip is fine.
Aloha Jeannine!

Sorry to be so long replying…

I am doing these glute/hip focused exercises, not all on the same day.
~Clamshell with a resistance loop
~Wall squats with a resistance loop & balance ball against the wall, legs at a 45 degree angle
~Goblet squats with a 10 lb kb
~Split squats
~Side step lunges
~hip flexion on a ball
~Weighted glute bridges - I’m using 20 lbs.

I’m doing some joint and fascia focused mobility stretches with a long pull-up assist loop to open up the joint and soften the fascia. I do them before my other workouts & cardio.
~Hip self mobilization with band for lateral glide. I find this especially helpful: https://youtu.be/0p3Tt6Dflcw
~Inferior hip mobilization with hip flexion: https://youtu.be/8b4rAWwxtIk

I’m also doing daily hip opening yoga….figure four stretch at the wall & half saddle and a few others. I’m amazed at how I’ve progressed with half saddle in just a few weeks, from using both my large & small rectangular bolsters propped on a block to only my small rectangular bolster flat on the floor.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 06:52 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate the contributions to this thread.

Pam - Thanks for listing the exercises that you are doing, I am going to try some of these and see if they help. Lots of them were already on my radar. Split squats are similar to a static lunge, I didn't know that. I can't do those right now but would like to incorporate them in the future, probably will ditch reverse lunges permanently.

Kat - After doing more research on this, there was no certain exercise that caused this, but likely too many leg presses and other lower body exercises may have aggravated it over time. I also do step aerobics, or did, but never higher than a 6 inch box. I really regret doing all those leg presses on such a tall box, I much prefer doing them on a shorter box in more recent years and probably should have been doing that all along.

So for the first time ever, I can honestly say that the Firm is no longer going to be part of my workout routine, who knows maybe it's time to part with some of my Cathe workouts too. Some of them, not all.

I discovered a YT pilates channel, Move with Nicole that I really like so far, I will probably be using her workouts for the interim, modifying where needed.

Will also be pulling out my other pilates workouts, Winsor Buns, Ana Caban, and revisiting my yoga as well. I have a lot of yoga videos but none of them have anything super advanced so I should be okay as long as I modify where needed.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hip flexor, hip impingement, hip pain