Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-20, 09:45 AM  
slockhart

Kettlebells

I just have to rave a bit about kettlebells.... I've been working out consistently since age 35, and I'm now 51. I used to teach Turbo Kick for quite a few years and that combined with high rep workouts was what I did predominantly. I'm a pear shape and would always see results in my arms, but never in my lower body. I have saddlebags and carry all my weight there and in my upper thighs.

I've been doing KB workouts now 3-5 times a week since about early April and last night I noticed that my butt looks lifted and tighter. And at my age, I'll take whatever I can get. I am obsessed with KBs now and especially love doing my own HIIT style workouts. But I have to say that I think results come from the swings.

As I'm getting older, I think I have resigned myself to the fact that I will not ever achieve a bikini competition physique (which I used to want, but now realize how much time and commitment that takes; I'm a grandma now and have other interests) so am focusing more on function and getting a great total body workout, which is what KBs can do for you.

Anyway, just wanted to spread some KB love. Anyone else out there doing mostly KB workouts??

Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 06:37 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I am also on Kettlebell kick. I needed change. Which KB DVDs are you doing? I love Art of Strength, Skogg, Keith Weber. I'd like to try Steve Cotter, but his DVDs are high!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 08:50 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I love kettlebells too! Unfortunately I haven't been able to touch them since December due to shoulder issues (not related to kettlebells). I'm 60; I think kettlebells can be an excellent approach to fitness for older adults if approached carefully. I can't wait to get back to them someday. Lauren Brooks is my go-to for all things kettlebells.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 09:14 AM  
slockhart

I've mostly been doing Kettlebell Kickboxing DVDs, Scorcher Series original and 2.0, and the Meltdown Series. I'll usually add on 100 swings and half-beats after my workouts.

I also have been doing a few YouTube workouts by Troy Van Spanje, which kind of inspired me to do my own KB HIIT workouts. I set my timer for 45 seconds of work/15 seconds off (or whatever) and do my own circuits. For example, I will do swings, high pulls, goblet squats, snatches, half beats, overhead press. I'll do that through three times, and then do another set of moves. You sweat buckets and still build muscles. It is perfect as I get older and don't want to spend hours on cardio and weights. Like I said, my butt is looking better than it has in a long time (swings ), and my arms are toned and tight, and that is without doing any muscle isolating weights.

I bought Amy Ross's KB2 and KB Power, but haven't had a chance to do those ones yet.

I also have some Lauren Brooks' DVDs, but I just don't find them very fun, so I've only done one and I think that was Revelation.

I also tried AOS Providence but found that a little boring too. I guess after the KB Kickboxing, everything else seems kind of slow paced. I do just love to set my timer and crank the tunes and swing!

I need to buy a heavier KB now, a 25 lb is my heaviest and I know I could swing heavier than that. But I have invested in two 15 lb bells because I really enjoy the double KB workouts. They are not cheap!

Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-20, 01:42 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I am trying to work them back in to my routine. They do great things for you.

My favorite kettlebell DVD's are KCM's Slim Sculpting and Lauren Brooks' Shut Up and Train.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebells