Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-17, 10:16 AM  
PennyK

Please share your "Meditation" ritual/routine

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 10:43 AM  
BunnyHop

I'm not currently maintaining a regular practice, but when I did, I kept it really simple. Just sit down, quiet my mind, clear my nose (if necessary), and breathe. Sometimes with a pranayama sort of pattern, sometimes just sitting quietly and breathing.

To keep track of my breaths without being too obsessive about it, I'd hold a string of beads and count one with every in breath. Depending on the length of beads I'd either go around once or twice.

More recently I've used a recorded yoga nidra session, which I do lying on my back, eyes closed, knees on a bolster. (ETA: using this cd, just her voice leading two practices, no music, which I prefer: https://www.amazon.com/Conscious-Rel.../dp/B003J0JQ4E )

I don't really have any sort of dedicated space, though I do have a cute little buddha with a bowl for incense cones, a pretty cross and a figure of Mary that I keep reasonably well dusted. I have a jar of glass rocks with printed words glued on them to use as a meditative focus if I want. Gives my active mind something simple to do that's at least sorta helpful in getting my focus back on the breath.

Living as I do, incense isn't part of the plan, since the odor sort of goes everywhere, so I keep my old supply in a drawer where it can scent whatever's near by.

I have a crescent shaped cushion for seated meditation. I like it, but my fibroid does not, so it's currently gathering dust. I'm curious to see if I'll go back to it after my hysterectomy.

Lately I've been using tarot cards as a kind of focus for my imagination. Just drawing a card or maybe a few, and studying their meanings, any patterns of similarity or difference, and seeing where my imagination takes me. Mostly just wind up pondering things that might not have occurred to me otherwise, which seems to be good for me.

Oh, and I found some guided meditations for a seated practice somewhere on reddit that I downloaded to my mp3 player. Have been handy. Again, just a voice leading, no music.
Old 01-30-17, 11:22 AM  
laurajhawk

I do have a space for meditation, though I sometimes meditate elsewhere. I have a zafu to sit on, and there's a candle warmer & wax melter that I sometimes use for aroma. (The space is in the corner of my workout room; I use the candles/hot wax during workouts as well.)

Usually I just sit silently & use the iMeditate with Erich app as a simple timer. Sometimes I play ambient music or nature sounds (I have the Insight Timer app also). I find that if my mind is very unsettled, sound and aroma help.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 11:25 AM  
PennyK

Old 01-30-17, 12:19 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I have a "shrine" of sorts with pictures and statues of spiritual figures who are meaningful to me.

I don't do formal meditation these days, but I do love yoga nidra and have some yoga nidra CDs:

Rod Stryker's Relax into Greatness (I've had this for years; it's wonderful. Rod's voice is great; he is also a terrific yoga teacher.)

Bodhipaksa's Guided Meditations for Stress Reduction (this is a desert island disc. I've also had this one for years. It's rather like yoga nidra in that you do a body scan meditation. Bodhipaksa, who is a Buddhist teacher, has a lovely soft Scottish accent.)

I heartily endorse yoga nidra for stress and for insomnia.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 12:53 PM  
PennyK

Old 01-30-17, 01:02 PM  
sherry7899

I like using an eye mask if I am doing meditation lying down. I really like this one, but when I bought it, you could buy a single mask. Now it looks like they are only sold in packs of four:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DPZOTBS?psc=1

They are also lovely for savasana after yoga.

If you can use wax melts, I may have some I can pass along to you. I found out after purchasing them that the fumes may be harmful to cats, so I am not using them. I will check and pm you later.

I enjoy these meditation cds/dvds:

https://www.amazon.com/Meditation-Mu...+meditation+cd

The Scott Cole is not music-it is four separate meditations

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Enhancin...ger+meditation

https://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Zone-Med...meditation+dvd

This one is a download which I have not purchased yet, but I like the meditation on her yoga dvds:

https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Meditat...s=karen+noonan

I will likely add more later.

There are tons of free meditation on you tube. Faith Hunter has a free 30 day meditation challenge.

I have yoga bolsters, blocks and a Mexican blanket I use, depending on the position I'm in for the meditation. I've only done meditation with guidance from cds or dvds. I should try it media free with instrumental music sometime.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 01:08 PM  
PennyK

Old 01-30-17, 01:23 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
...the fumes may be harmful to cats, so I am not using them. ...
This is my experience as well. My cat was very sensitive to scented stuff like wax melts and various air freshener/potpourri. They'd make him sneeze, and wind up with an infection that required medication.

Nowadays I do sometimes light a scented candle.
Old 01-30-17, 01:38 PM  
sherry7899

Penny-you are welcome!

A very sweet VF friend surprised me with a bolster for an Xmas gift. When I wanted a second one, I bought this one from Amazon (in purple). I am very happy with it:

https://www.amazon.com/YogaAccessori...=yoga+bolsters

You can remove the cover to wash it.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meditation, ritual