Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-12, 10:09 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Does anyone have a review of KCM's Start Here?

There is a slot for it in the reviews section, but it is empty. I was thinking someone asked for the w/o to be added but then life got in the way of actually posting the review.

I have read various threads that mention it in passing favorably but more details would be great.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 01:48 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Hi Renda,

I hadn't planned on doing a review of that workout, but since you asked, here's one off the top of my head...

I am a 48 year old woman with bad knees and hands/wrists. I like workouts that don't require a lot of moves that stress these body parts. This DVD has a few push ups in the second workout and I substitute chest presses. Other than that, I have no issues with the moves!

There are two workouts on this DVD - Workout 1 is labeled a cardio sculpting workout and Workout 2 is a pretty straight forward. I really enjoy the cardio sculpting workout. The cardio moves are basic and I was engaged doing them. It has strength building moves that are designed to get your heart rate up. Kelly says to use weights no heavier than 5 pounds - which is what I use. Moves include things like a back stroke, alternating bicep curls transitioning into alternating tricep kickbacks, etc. Workout 2 is a pretty straight forward strength workout. Kelly says that you can use whatever weight is appropriate for you. I started with 8 pounders and dropped to 5s when she got into the shoulders. This workout kept me really engaged, even though it's a pretty basic strength workout with more traditional moves than the first workout.

Kelly is backed up with two exercisers. Lauren is not in it, presumably because a modifier is not needed. The music is pretty good - I notice it complimenting the moves several times. Kelly is her normal, down to earth, pragmatic, friendly, motivating self.

The premixes include:

Aerobic Cardio Only (19:09)
Cardio Sculpt Only (19:23)
Floor Work (16:34)
Cardio Sculpt and Upper Body Weights
(22:21)
Cardio Sculpt and Leg Work (23:32)
Upper Body Lift (25:37)
Lower Body Minimizer (1:43)

I can only talk about Cardio Sculpt and Leg Work because once I did that premix, I keep going back to it! It has the cardio sculpting moves from the first workout with leg work from the second workout. It's fun!

I really, really enjoy this DVD. Right now, I am caught in a really busy time of life and this DVD has given me the option to do basic and doable, but not super easy, workouts. I think this DVD is less appropriate for total beginners than restarters and "beginners again" for whatever reason. Kelly gives form pointers, but doesn't explain moves as should be done for someone who has never used weights. They seem more like reminders. Kelly's attitude is supportive, but she is not condescending and she doesn't talk down to the exerciser as sometimes happens in beginner DVDs.

How's that?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 02:18 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Laura, that was as close to perfect as it could be. The premix info was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks so much. Now that review box won't be sitting lonely anymore.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 02:49 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Laura that's a great review. I did the weight workout yesterday and went heavy and enjoyed it. Straightforward moves, easy to follow. But since I'm not a beginner, nor just returning (just felt tired!) I would have liked a bit more. I think the perfect premix for this would be: warm-up, cardio sculpt portion of #1, weight workout from #2, cooldown. I'm going to try that next time. It's not an actual premix on the DVD, but should have been

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 03:11 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Ronnee,

That would have been a good premix. As a premix, I wish she had done a circuit style workout, alternating cardio and the cardio sculpting moves (or the strength moves from Workout #2). She's spoiling us so now we are coming up with more options!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-26-12, 04:51 PM  
juberann

BEAUTIFUL review, Laura you did this workout justice. I agree with your comments about it, as well. I am SO happy I have this one, I love it!! I havn't done any of the premixes yet (with so many Kelly workouts it takes me awhile before I finally explore everything they have to offer, I tend to get hooked on the main workouts for awhile). I adore the cardio in this one and hope Kelly does more cardio like this in future releases.
I can't recommend this one highly enough.
Old 01-26-12, 05:28 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Ronnee,

That would have been a good premix. As a premix, I wish she had done a circuit style workout, alternating cardio and the cardio sculpting moves (or the strength moves from Workout #2). She's spoiling us so now we are coming up with more options!
Yes, that would have been great too! But these are all soild workouts and I love that she has so many premixes as it. I frequently do those instead of the originals on many of hers.

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 06:09 PM  
Denise B
VF Supporter

Can anyone tell me if there is a "Music Off" option?

I enjoy Kelly's personality, but don't care for some of her music selections.
Denise B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 07:26 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't remember seeing a music off option - on this workout or any of her other workouts. If I notice one, I'll let you know. Maybe I'll do this workout again tomorrow to see.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Tags
kcm rocks!, reviews, start here