Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-02, 09:25 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

Question about spinning at home

I don't have the money to buy a spinning bike, but I was wondering if I could use my mountain bike. What is that thing called that you put your bike on to keep it stationary and would a mountain bike work? Also, how much would it cost? Thanks for the help!
Old 01-24-02, 05:38 AM  
nancy c
Tri-ing!

It's a trainer Emily

I think that's the general name for them . Cleda just bought one for her bike and she got a really nice one...I'm sure she'll pop in. I don't have a trainer but considered one before buying my spin bike. If I had gone with a trainer...I would have used my mountain bike on it. I'm pretty sure you can use any bike on a trainer.

As far as costs..I've seen them range anywhere from $150's into the $300's. Might be the best time to shop...they are usually in the front of the winter bike catalogs...but start moving to the sale section towards spring to make room for the summer stuff.
nancy c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-02, 07:32 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Talking Emily -- Let me LEAD you ASTRAY!!!

tee-hee.....

Emily:

Yes, you absolutely can put your mountain bike on a trainer. Let me give you the quick LBS (local bike shop) speel:

there are 3 resistance trainers:

Magnetic (aka Mag): good, noise level about a 10 -- have to turn the volume WAY up on the tv to spin....

Wind Trainer: better, noise level about a 6 -- the volume on the tv isn't QUITE as loud.... getting closer to true road resistance.

Fluid Trainer: best, noise level about a 1, smoothest ride, closest to simulating road riding (but is tough!).

Big drawback of fluid trainers, going back to early years: expensive and the fluid would leak out. They have now perfected the fluid thingee on it (how's that for technical!?!?) and the chances of leakage is much less. But, it can still happen. (just covering my bases here....)

The thing you have to check about the trainers (with whatever one you decide to purchase -- please note, no room for debate, I said WHEN you purchase, not IF you purchase! )is if you do it via a catalogue company, make sure you check that they are able to accomodate the SIZE of the mountain bike tires, since they are WIDER (and the knobbies) vs. the skinny road tire!!!!

Another thing: you may consider getting a junk tire for the back (one that costs around $15 -- cuz the trainers are suppose to eat through back tires..... I'll let everyone know how fast I go through mine.... )

Two good sources to check (and now IS the time to buy a trainer -- they are on sale....) are:

http://www.nashbar.com
and
http://www.performancebike.com

I have dealt with BOTH companies and they are both quick, efficient and a pleasure to deal with. Make sure you check for additional shipping charges should you go the internet route. I think it's about $7.00 extra.

I have also gotten their house brands on both clothing and equipment and had NO PROBLEM for a fraction of the cost of the name brands. Just thought I'd mention that!!!

Hope this helps.
Cleda
(who really is NOT an Evil Spin Devil!)
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-02, 08:25 AM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

Cleda, the evil spin devil

I like it!

My husband (the bike devil in our house) has bought several things from both Nashbar and Performance Bike. Great customer service from both companies. Warning: the clothing from Performance runs SMALL.

We have both a spin bike and a mountain bike with a trainer on it, and my husband uses the spin bike all the time. Probably because it is MINE....

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-02, 09:03 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Well Suzanne then I will ask you too!

I have asked NanC and Cleda but you have a great perspective seeing as you have a spin bike and a trainer. Which do you use more often. If you could only have one which one would you choose to keep.

Thanks for your input.

Hedy
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-02, 10:37 AM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

No doubt...

...the spinning bike. I took a class at a local health club and was hooked. My husband gave me a spin bike for my birthday, and it was probably the best gift he has ever given me!

But, I might not be the best person to ask this question (hello, Cleda) because I tried the trainer once and hated it. I can't really explain it, but I like the "feel" of the spin bike. I feel more secure on it, especially when I am in a standing postion. When using the trainer, I never really know how to adjust my gears while doing the videos - of course, I am sure I could figure it out, but I don't seem to want to. HA!!

I also really enjoy my spinning videos; Robert Sherman's CIA video (two workouts), Precision Cycling, and Mindy's tape. A great big "ewwwww" to Johnny G's tapes.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 01-24-02, 10:48 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Oh yes I remember....

when your DH bought it for your birthday. Did you get the Vbike (I assume as much if NanC was involved in your husband's bike quest...she's here, she's there, she's everywhere, so beware)!

Hedy
Old 01-24-02, 11:08 AM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

Re: Oh yes I remember....

Quote:
Originally posted by hedygs
when your DH bought it for your birthday. Did you get the Vbike (I assume as much if NanC was involved in your husband's bike quest...she's here, she's there, she's everywhere, so beware)!

Hedy
Nope, Tammy C. was the little VF helper.

I have the Johnny G Comp bike. I know the V-bike is a great bike, but I think the price was a bit steep. (Tammy has the Johnny G bike and recommended it.) I think the main difference between the two is that you can adjust the v-bike in increments, but the Johnny G bike has "set" adjustments. Does that make sense?

I've never actually sat on a V-bike...the club I went to used Reebok bikes.

Confused?

Old 01-24-02, 11:16 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Re: Re: Oh yes I remember....

Quote:
Originally posted by SuzanneM

Confused?
Perpetually!
Old 01-24-02, 12:01 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I guess I was thinking they would be less expensive

I don't know why, though. Do they make so much noise that it would be unbearable for those below me in an apartment. Or for a sleeping baby in the next room? Also, do you think I could find a less expensive but still high quality one on ebay or half.com or something. I'm not really in a position to pay quite as much as they seem to be, but I'm looking for alternatives because of the noise of high impact and step for my downstairs neighbors. Thanks!!!!