Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-03, 02:21 PM  
Daphne M

Legs & Glutes workout gets better each time

L&G is turning into my favorite training tape from the Body Blast series. Wouldn't you know, it was the one I almost didn't get. I thought I'd love Push/Pull and Supersets the most because I like short strength workouts. But nooooooooooo -- it's Legs and Glutes that has won my heart. And glutes.

There's a lot to like about it, but it is the variety of exercises that work each leg individually that make me love it. Especially those slow count knee-ups on the high step with genie arms. And the leg sweeps with the step-ups. And the standing leg extensions. And who could forget the explosive lunges? (Sometimes I wish Cathe would -- those things take my breath away.)

I have one leg that is significantly weaker than the other and has suffered a series of injuries as a result (pulled calf, pulled hamstring, pulled adductor), and this workout is exactly what I needed to build my strength up.

Now I just wish that there was something like it for my upper body ...
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 02:44 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I have this for a while, but could never seem to find the time for it. For one, it does not have an upper body partner. How do you incorporate this in your schedule? Partner it with PS, PUB, MIS Upper or CTX?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 03:26 PM  
Mellyf
VF Supporter

L&G

I love this too, Daphne. And it was the one I was looking forward to the least. I didn't think I wanted just a legs workout. However, the time flies during the workout (except for during those explosive lunges...oh yeah...and the outer thigh floorwork...oh...and the...never mind).

hdw, I did L&G on Saturday and the Supersets upper body workout (the shorter one) on Sunday. I also think PUB would be a good complement to L&G.
Old 12-22-03, 03:26 PM  
Daphne M

Haven't figured that part out

I think I eventually will partner it with either the upper body split from Muscle Endurance or PUB. I could even see CTX working well with this workout.

I haven't done either Push/Pull, Supersets or Step Pump and Jump often enough yet to know if the upper body splits of one of these would work as a complement to Legs and Glutes.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 03:41 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Daphne,

I really like this workout too. I think it's Cathe's best leg workout. Time flies because of the variety. I don't know if it's my favorite Body Blast workout because I like a lot of them. Two pre-mixes that I want to try are Leg Press Mania (the same workout but 4 more sets of leg presses per leg added in) and the KPC & L/G circuit pre-mix. The second pre-mix has the second section of KPC used as a circuit with most of the L/G exercises.

hdw, I decided that I want to work my upper body twice a week & my legs three times a week. My legs/butt need more work than my upper body. So I was going to do total body 2x a week and a leg workout on the third day. This would be alternated with cardio. On some weeks, I might do total body 3x a week & not have a special day for legs.

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 03:46 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've only done this once, but really liked it. I haven't even previewed any of the premixes yet. I was really surprised that I wasn't sore after doing it though; I guess I wasn't using enough weight. I love how the time flies by, and that there's some good old floorwork in addition to some interesting new standing exercises.

Following Melly's example, I did Supersets 34-minute Upper Body Mix to complement this. I might also do the upper body section of Body Max, Muscle Endurance PS, PUB, CTX Upper Body Split or even the upper body portions of MIS. All sorts of options!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 04:15 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I paired it with the

supersaver upper body sections, mainly because I wanted to try them out. I'm eh on them. I did split them in two because I was baking Christmas goodies before work. :rolleyes: Not sure WHAT came over me.

I've done everything except the weight work on step jump and pump and the timesave legs. So far thumbs up on all the cardio, legs and glutes, and supersets.

I don't think I really like the supersavers dvd, I think the upper body altogether probably is less than 30 minutes long. The abs on workouts 2 and 3 are too similar and the bonus footage on the abs seems to be repeat and not something different. I don't mind mixing and matching though and think getting JUST the supersaver would be a great deal. (although it does miss the best part of the kickboxing.)

Push and pull, I haven't decided. Its just not enough as is and I won't be doubling it. I'm going to try the premixes to see if any of them work for me better. I may save it for the days I would have done the firm.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 04:23 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Joni, I wasn't sore either. Then again, I've never had DOMS from the slim series either. I really feel it while I'm doing it though.
The Cathe workout that is leaving my posterior sore is Kick Punch and Crunch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joni O
I've only done this once, but really liked it. I haven't even previewed any of the premixes yet. I was really surprised that I wasn't sore after doing it though; I guess I wasn't using enough weight. I love how the time flies by, and that there's some good old floorwork in addition to some interesting new standing exercises.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 08:31 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
I wasn't sore either, though I felt really worked out. When I previewed this one, I thought it was too tough for me but it is SO MUCH FUN to do! Even the explosive lunges. I've been pairing it with Pyramid Upper for a full-body workout, or just using it on its on for a lower-body-only day.

Allison
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 08:34 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Lynn, what is the supersaver DVD?
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote