Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-02, 01:40 PM  
Maryan, Paris
VF Supporter

Has anyone tried this video ?

You Can Do It! (featuring The Lotte Berk Technique)
65 minutes - £12.99 - cat. no. 360
(NTSC format for USA: £13.99 - cat. no. 403)

What is the Lotte Berk Technique? According to Fred Devito, director of the Lotte Berk Method in New York, it's a "combination of strength training and stretching based on ballet, modern dance, orthopedics and yoga." Founded by Lotte Berk in the 1970s, the goal of the program is for people to develop the long, taut look of a dancer's body.

Lotte Berk was a famous dancer and after a severe back injury devised an exercise programme that kept her and thousands of others fit, supple and strong into old age. Without the use of equipment or machines, those who regularly practice Lotte Berk report taut abs, lean thighs and better posture. "It doesn't take long to see results," said Devito. "Changes can happen very quickly, depending on the person."

Top TV actress Denise Welch is seen here with her Lotte Berk coach Jean Arden, going through the routine that not only changed her shape, it changed her whole approach to fitness. Never one to throw herself into energetic gym workouts, and too keen on the odd curry and gin & tonic to stick to a rigid diet, Denise turned to the technique as these 'little' indulgences started to catch up with her. She is now a total convert to Lotte Berk, which is, as she says, '... a fantastic way of toning up and feeling great that can be done on your own at home.'
Maryan, Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-02, 02:10 PM  
JGeorge

Oh...I sure hope someone out there has tried this one. I vaguely remember an article featuring the Lotte Birk technique in a fitness magazine a while back. I'm curious too.
JGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-02, 02:12 PM  
ScooterChick
Registered

There's a Lotte Berk center in SF

I went there for work, and wanted to go check it out, but couldn't make any of the classes. The studio seemed nice... (I'm not very helpful, I know.)
ScooterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-02, 02:28 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Maryan, I've certainly heard of...

...Lotte Berk. The studio is sort of a NY dance community standby.

The video? Well, I'm certainly interested in hearing more.

Here is a link to the Lotte Berk list (there must be a list for everything and google will find it for you):

http://www.alternativecomplementaryh...berkmethod.htm
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-02, 03:54 PM  
Hazel Porter

The editor of the now (sadly) defunct FIT magazine was a big proponent of Lotte Berk, and the magazine ran several articles over the years about it. From what I recall (at least once, they posted a series of exercises from the program), it looked like a combination of Pilates, ballet, and Callenetics -- lots of focus on core work, combined with very small precise movements and pulses. I kinda recall one exercise that had you stand with your heels touching and your toes turned out (is that 1st or 2d position?), holding onto a barre, then rising up on your toes and squatting very shallowing from that position.

I'm almost positive there was at least one book available by the woman that brought Lotte Berk to the states -- I think her name was Beryl Bender Birch or something like that.

Anyway, that's all the info I have!
Old 02-13-02, 06:11 PM  
Sophie

maybe not BBB

Quote:
Originally posted by Hazel Porter
I'm almost positive there was at least one book available by the woman that brought Lotte Berk to the states -- I think her name was Beryl Bender Birch or something like that.
Well, Beryl Bender Birch helped popularize Power Yoga in the states, but I don't know if she had anything to do with Lotte Berk.

But I do remember the very interesting articles in FIT magazine. The exercises kind of looked like pilates done standing up, with a dance influence, lots of attention to alignment and posture, full extension of limbs, etc etc. Looked interesting...must dig around and see if I saved that issue.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-02, 07:16 PM  
Linda B
VF Supporter

I have the book The Lotte Berk Method by Lydia Bach. Can't say much about it, as I haven't had time to try it out. It looks very seventies, and if I hadn't heard good things about it, I would have just written it off as another "70's health fad.
Linda B is offline   Reply With Quote