Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-03, 11:19 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

The Quest for Truth About Exercise and Health

I heard this book was recently released and wondered of any of y'all have read it? It sounds very interesting...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 11:35 AM  
Sabresfan

Ok, I had to run to Amazon when you mentioned this because I hadn't heard of it. Here's the link. It doesn't seem like it's getting good reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Sabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 11:37 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Peggy, if you haven't seen the Amazon entry:

...here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I've read some of the author's stuff in the Times. Some of the editorial reviews and reader remarks are pretty informative (at Amazon, that is) -- obviously not an exercise book though. I'll probably want to read it eventually.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 12:03 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I saw her on tv

The author was on one of the news shows. She didn't say anything that hasn't been said before. She said you can't lose weight just by exercising and you have to work up a sweat etc etc. Seemed like she was talking to couch potatoes.

L
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 12:55 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: I saw her on tv

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda H
The author was on one of the news shows. She didn't say anything that hasn't been said before. She said you can't lose weight just by exercising and you have to work up a sweat etc etc. Seemed like she was talking to couch potatoes.

L
Haven't seen her on television, but she's also reported on a study that shows that the endorphin rush is a myth, or at least not related to endorphins so I'm curious. The story in the Times was pretty brief.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
Old 05-05-03, 01:21 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

If it really is a history book, and not dryly written like a college textbook, I might be interested. I'd love to see a nice coffee table book, full of glossy photos, about fitness fads throughout the ages.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 01:40 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Sue, according to The New York Public Library's

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue B
If it really is a history book, and not dryly written like a college textbook, I might be interested. I'd love to see a nice coffee table book, full of glossy photos, about fitness fads throughout the ages.
...Branch Libraries catalog (LEO) there only a few pages of illustrations so I don't think it will be much of a coffee table book. And it's certainly not a fitness book -- geared to the experienced exerciser or otherwise. But it looks like it will be an interesting read about the evolution of the fitness industry as we know it today. And it might cut through some of the hype. (In particular I want a citation re: that endorphin study.) I'll let you know -- of course I ordered it.

Old 05-05-03, 03:08 PM  
Becka Boyd

Re: Re: I saw her on tv

Quote:
Originally posted by SharonNYC
Haven't seen her on television, but she's also reported on a study that shows that the endorphin rush is a myth, or at least not related to endorphins so I'm curious. The story in the Times was pretty brief.
I have to already up and totally disagree with the author then because I've experienced that enuff times to know it's not a myth. I love it, feels great and I've endorphin rushes rangeing from very mild to euphoria from exercise

Old 05-05-03, 03:19 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: Re: Re: I saw her on tv

Quote:
Originally posted by Becka Boyd
I have to already up and totally disagree with the author then because I've experienced that enuff times to know it's not a myth. I love it, feels great and I've endorphin rushes rangeing from very mild to euphoria from exercise

Well Becka, it might not be endorphins that make you feel so good. It could be something else, right. Anyway, whatever it is it seems to work. I'm just curious. And she's just reporting the results of a study. I posted a link to the article in the paper when it appeared a few months ago but I think the link has long since lapsed.