Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-22, 05:37 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
If this could happen to me, it can happen to anyone. We just have to do whatever we can to protect ourselves.

One thing that really irks me is that the bank where the criminal opened the account was a bank that I did business with until several years ago. Since I was a customer, the bank has my social security number along with all my data, and the bank rep found my data as soon as I gave her my SSN. So it boggles the mind that a major US bank allowed an account to be opened with my SSN and birthday, and someone else's name and address!
Last year someone opened an account in my son's name using his social security number at a bank where we had a custodial account when he was a minor. The bank called our house and asked for him but I thought it was a scam so I hung up. A few days later checks came in the mail here with his name misspelled. He hasn't lived at our address in several years so I knew something was up. He had to go through the same process you did Abbe with the IRS, the credit reporting agencies, etc. It was a real pain.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 03:54 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
LoveVA, thanks for the link. After this happened, I ran a search on ChexSystems. I will look into freezing.

Tracy, that is a worrisome finding on your husband's credit report. If he doesn't already use Experian ID Works, he should get it. It is the only service that seems to pick up everything. I recently had a credit inquiry that I initiated, and got an alert from ID Works. I have several monitoring services, and none of the other ones sent me an alert. That's also the service that alerted me to the fraudulent bank account.
Thank you we will be checking into Experian ID Works.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 08:26 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Last year someone opened an account in my son's name using his social security number at a bank where we had a custodial account when he was a minor. The bank called our house and asked for him but I thought it was a scam so I hung up. A few days later checks came in the mail here with his name misspelled. He hasn't lived at our address in several years so I knew something was up. He had to go through the same process you did Abbe with the IRS, the credit reporting agencies, etc. It was a real pain.
Sorry you and your son experienced that. I agree, it is a real pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Thank you we will be checking into Experian ID Works.
You’re welcome!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 05:05 PM  
mamaste

Sorry this happened to you. It’s sad how susceptible we are. Someone has been impersonating me and trying to sell my house for cash. Hopefully, no one falls for it.
Old 06-26-22, 05:16 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
Sorry this happened to you. It’s sad how susceptible we are. Someone has been impersonating me and trying to sell my house for cash. Hopefully, no one falls for it.
What? How is that even possible? Don't most people want to view the house first before buying? Or is someone trying to sell your house to investors sight unseen? It's crazy what people try to get away with.
Old 06-26-22, 09:19 PM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
What? How is that even possible? Don't most people want to view the house first before buying? Or is someone trying to sell your house to investors sight unseen? It's crazy what people try to get away with.
Trying to sell it sight unseen. They’re hoping real estate agents and investors will be desperate enough not to care. They’re only accepting cash offers. Thankfully, a few have looked into it and I’m able to tell them my house isn’t for sale.

I thought it was odd, but I looked it up and this has happened in a few states. Real estate agents are desperate for houses.
Old 06-27-22, 09:41 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
What the.... How did you find out about this? That's really scary and crazy!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 12:41 PM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
What the.... How did you find out about this? That's really scary and crazy!
They started coming by to see the house. I’m worried someone won’t investigate and give the scammer money. It only takes one.
Old 06-27-22, 02:35 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
They started coming by to see the house.
You'll have to put a sign up in front of your house that reads:

House NOT For Sale!!

SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 03:07 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
There was a story on our local news awhile back about this kind of scam. Scary stuff! I wonder how the scammers decide what house to target for sale? I hope no one falls for it and I agree that I would put up a sign that says House NOT for sale! Maybe notify your local real estate agents association in case they get calls? Crazy!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credit reports, identity theft, privacy, security, social security numbers