Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-22, 08:58 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I got this one as a goodreads giveaway and liked it but didn't love it.
Same. I loved the midwife stuff — both my girls were caught by a midwife and I enjoy reading about it. But the historical time/location just felt a bit too bleak. I realize that was reality but I personally try to avoid reading overly sad material — I find it sticks with me more than I want.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-22, 12:18 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD546 View Post
Just finished The School of Essential Ingredients. It was a delightful book! This was recommended by Beth (I think). It was a quick read and I really enjoyed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I did, although I think someone else here recommended it to me; so glad you found it as delightful as I did! Speaking of sequels, there is one to this book as well (it's good but not as good).
I recommended it to Beth. Glad to see someone else who liked it. Besides the sequel, The Lost Art of Mixing, she has another novel, Joy for Beginners, and a nonfiction book, House Lessons, about buying and remodeling an old house. I liked all of them. ETA She is Erica Bauermeister.

I recently read Anne Youngson's two novels - The Narrowboat Summer and Meet Me at the Museum - and liked them both. Meet Me at the Museum is epistolary - told through letters between two characters. The Narrowboat Summer is two women who just met going way out of their comfort zone to help another woman they just met by moving her live-aboard boat up the narrow English canals to the guy who is going to do some work on it. The plots of both are really learning about yourself and what you really want in life and what you are willing to do about it. Narrowboat also has a lot of location, character and social description.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-22, 05:40 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I finished Angels of the Pacific by Elise Hooper. I thought it was her best book so far, and I've enjoyed them all.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-22, 07:52 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I just started Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty and I'm also reading Hello, Molly! by Molly Shannon.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-22, 08:26 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
I just started [I] I'm also reading Hello, Molly! by Molly Shannon.
I really liked Hello Molly. I don't even like Molly Shannon's work and don't know how I ended up reading her book but I loved it and thought very highly of her after finishing it. Usually memoirs have the opposite effect on me.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-22, 08:29 AM  
Schnauzeritis

Just finished The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St. James. I liked it.

Now I'm reading The Last House on the Street by Diane Chamberlain. On Chapter 12 and loving it.
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-22, 12:10 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
I really liked Hello Molly. I don't even like Molly Shannon's work and don't know how I ended up reading her book but I loved it and thought very highly of her after finishing it. Usually memoirs have the opposite effect on me.

Erica
Erica H., I'm enjoying Hello Molly so far. I didn't realize she had so much trauma as a child. I know what you mean about memoirs changing your impression of someone. I ended up not liking Matthew McConaughey after I read his memoir (and I never expected that to happen).
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-22, 09:50 AM  
SpiritYogi

I just finished The Foundling by Ann Leary. Great story based on historical facts.

Excerpt from the summary:

Inspired by a true story about the author’s grandmother, The Foundling offers a rare look at a shocking chapter of American history. This gripping page-turner will have readers on the edge of their seats right up to the stunning last page…asking themselves, “Did this really happen here?”
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-22, 11:10 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
I just finished The Foundling by Ann Leary. Great story based on historical facts.

Excerpt from the summary:

Inspired by a true story about the author’s grandmother, The Foundling offers a rare look at a shocking chapter of American history. This gripping page-turner will have readers on the edge of their seats right up to the stunning last page…asking themselves, “Did this really happen here?”
Looks good! Thank you! I put it on my to-read list on Goodreads.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-22, 04:27 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Looks good! Thank you! I put it on my to-read list on Goodreads.

Erica
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading