Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-22, 09:27 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post

I also checked out “The Midwife of Hope River” (same author, who apparently used to be a midwife herself) .
I got this one as a goodreads giveaway and liked it but didn't love it.

I finished Soul of a Woman by Isabel Allende and am now reading I Know What's Best for You: Stories on Reproductive Freedom, which is not what I expected but I like it so far.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 11:34 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Last week I finished Take Your Breath Away by Linwood Barclay
That book sounds good! I just added it to my list.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 11:38 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Yesterday I started reading Tami Hoag's Secrets to the Grave; I was annoyed to realize it was the second in a series! Although there are A LOT of references to the first book, it's stand-alone enough that it's still readable. It's just a 3-book series, so I will probably do 2-1-3.
Don't you hate when that happens!?!? Even if a series can be read out of order, it can be frustrating to know that there may have been one (or more) books before it that helps explain references in the subsequent books. I'm also a bit anal retentive in that I like to do things in order, especially when it comes to reading book series.
Old 07-23-22, 11:44 AM  
DD546

Just finished The School of Essential Ingredients. It was a delightful book! This was recommended by Beth (I think). It was a quick read and I really enjoyed it.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 01:25 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Don't you hate when that happens!?!? Even if a series can be read out of order, it can be frustrating to know that there may have been one (or more) books before it that helps explain references in the subsequent books. I'm also a bit anal retentive in that I like to do things in order, especially when it comes to reading book series.
Haha, yes! I've started other series in the middle but always go back to the beginning as soon as I can - and I try to avoid that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD546 View Post
Just finished The School of Essential Ingredients. It was a delightful book! This was recommended by Beth (I think). It was a quick read and I really enjoyed it.
I did, although I think someone else here recommended it to me; so glad you found it as delightful as I did! Speaking of sequels, there is one to this book as well (it's good but not as good).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 12:12 PM  
BunnyHop

Busy weekend reading for me.

Read Martha Beck's Leaving the Saints (a memoir, she's an ex-Mormon) in basically a day. (Insomnia helped.)

Finished her The Way of Integrity on Audiobook as well.

Also finished Vishoka Meditation: The Yoga of Inner Radiance by Rajmani Tigunait (Himalayan Institute), but will likely review several times as I work through the practices.
Old 07-25-22, 01:13 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

Finished her The Way of Integrity on Audiobook as well.

How did you like this book? Looks interesting. I've never heard of her.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 02:33 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Also finished Vishoka Meditation: The Yoga of Inner Radiance by Rajmani Tigunait (Himalayan Institute), but will likely review several times as I work through the practices.
That book sounds like one I'd like. Are you new to meditation? If not, have you tried applying what you've learned to your practice? If so, has it helped you progress?
Old 07-25-22, 07:33 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
How did you like this book? Looks interesting. I've never heard of her.

Erica
I really liked The Way of Integrity. In fact, I liked the audio book from the library so much I bought my own printed copy. There's a lot to absorb here, but I like what she says and the way she says it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
That book sounds like one I'd like. Are you new to meditation? If not, have you tried applying what you've learned to your practice? If so, has it helped you progress?
I was totally unfamiliar with Vishoka meditation until I found the book online, and I did that only because I'd done a search for the artist Kim Krans, who did the cover.

I've been practicing for ages, with varying degrees of understanding and success. A while back I read Dan Harris's Ten Percent Happier, and his book on meditation, and really found it helpful. Now I'm just exploring different aspects of other types. Vishoka does sound interesting, though. Are you familiar with the Himalayan Institute ? I was not, but it looks as though they've been around a while. I don't know much about their specific philosophical bent, but I found Rajmani Tigunait's prose style to be more lucid than the other works I've attempted in the past, so I think that's a good sign. Next up I have a few he did on the yoga sutras. I'm intrigued, but as I say, the writing style of other works has put me off. I'm hoping this author's voice will be helpful.

Oh, and it's early days yet for me with this sort of practice. The general outlook seems straightforward, but I do wonder how to build a practice. I'm thinking I need a quick reread to see what I missed the first time through.
Old 07-25-22, 09:01 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
I was totally unfamiliar with Vishoka meditation until I found the book online, and I did that only because I'd done a search for the artist Kim Krans, who did the cover.

I've been practicing for ages, with varying degrees of understanding and success. A while back I read Dan Harris's Ten Percent Happier, and his book on meditation, and really found it helpful. Now I'm just exploring different aspects of other types. Vishoka does sound interesting, though. Are you familiar with the Himalayan Institute ? I was not, but it looks as though they've been around a while. I don't know much about their specific philosophical bent, but I found Rajmani Tigunait's prose style to be more lucid than the other works I've attempted in the past, so I think that's a good sign. Next up I have a few he did on the yoga sutras. I'm intrigued, but as I say, the writing style of other works has put me off. I'm hoping this author's voice will be helpful.

Oh, and it's early days yet for me with this sort of practice. The general outlook seems straightforward, but I do wonder how to build a practice. I'm thinking I need a quick reread to see what I missed the first time through.
I have heard of the Himalayan Institute but never delved into it. I've been researching a lot on Buddhism (Four Noble Truths and Eight Fold Path) the past few months and it sounds like Vishoka meditation would be a great complement to my journey and personal meditation practice. I'll definitely look into it further. Thank you for sharing!

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading