Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-22, 10:59 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerholliday View Post
Would anyone be able to elaborate on the differences between the Strength and Circuit workouts? Weights used, pacing, cardio intervals, floorwork, etc.
TIA
Hi!

I have only done each one once but TBH I don't know what the difference is and why one is called a 'circuit' and the other is not. The exercises were different, but they seemed like the same type of workout to me - full body weights, moderately paced, etc. There is floorwork included in both.

In fact, after I finished the Circuit Workout today I was thinking about how similar it felt to the full body strength.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 01:58 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Oh! There's a difference? I think the one I Joni-O'd was Circuit. The one that has 38 and 48 minutes. Did I order the wrong one? I'd better look at these again.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 03:38 PM  
diggerholliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi!

I have only done each one once but TBH I don't know what the difference is and why one is called a 'circuit' and the other is not. The exercises were different, but they seemed like the same type of workout to me - full body weights, moderately paced, etc. There is floorwork included in both.

In fact, after I finished the Circuit Workout today I was thinking about how similar it felt to the full body strength.

Donna
Hmm, thanks for the response. Is there one you liked better than the other? I like the strength workouts with cardio "breaks" but it seems none of these are like that.
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 05:10 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Returning the Circuit one. Just ordered the Split Strength one.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 09:56 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Jessica Smith - Fusion Flow & Glow - Full Body Flow - this one uses both gliders and it felt awkward to me, so I did the entire workout w/out the gliders and it worked just fine. There are a fair # of planks in this workout - Jessica demonstrates them using a chair and I followed along w/ that version as well (minus the gliders). I enjoyed the workout but I wouldn't say anything was a particular stand out - similar to her other fusion workouts out there. I guess the stand out is the lovely setting! There is also a calm vibe to this whole set of workouts.

Jessica Smith - Stretch & Relax - Release Segment - I did the Rise segment last week but I don't think I mentioned it. I didn't love it - I found that it included some of my least favorite stretches from Jessica - including that one where you lay on the floor and twist around to get a shoulder stretch - that one is not a favorite of mine. The Release Segment, however, was a good one - it pretty much hit everything a little bit from the neck to the toes. But, so far, this DVD doesn't present anything different from Jessica's other stretch/yoga workouts - but that is not a bad thing either.

diggerholiday - TBH - they both felt very much the same to me - so no real preference. Maybe once I do them again I'll "see" what the difference is.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 10:27 AM  
diggerholliday

Thanks donnamp!
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-22, 07:59 AM  
Mickey12

I really like the 5K walks. The steady walk is a tad too long for my taste, but I enjoy the variety of moves and Jessica's sweet, encouraging personality. The higher intensity walk is fun and gets my heart rate up a little more without being brutal. It feels like a moderate workout to me. I love the outdoor scenery and sun.
Old 06-08-22, 09:03 AM  
katalina

Did Bonus Pilates Core on Fusion Flow & Glow after my bike ride today. Loved this one!!
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-22, 01:02 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Work It Total Body Circuit 48 minutes

I did the longer circuit today and didn't expect to like it, because of the length. As Donna said, it was really good and the pace was just right! This can all be modified with the number of reps, circuits and weights that you use, as well as doing an easier (or harder) version of what Jessica demonstrates. My knees were cranky today (and talking to me) so I didn't go as deep in the lunges or squats. I also have frozen shoulder, and (though it's much improved in the the last couple of years) I still don't have the range of motion I need....and keeping weights light for shoulder exercises is a MUST! Compound exercises don't always work for me, but I was fine today...and there wasn't too much. The variety of exercises here were great and had something for everyone. I again modified some of the core work to suit me...and I was much happier for it. Do I wish for a circuit workout that could be done in just thirty minutes? Well, yeah...but not at the sacrifice of using good form and a rushed or hurried pace! Will I do this workout always in it's entirety, in exactly the same way that Jessica does? Probably not. But, I appreciate what Jessica has done here and believe it's a workout I will use! I have yet to do the shorter (workout two) on this DVD, so don't yet know how that compares. Looking forward to trying it soon!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 11:48 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Total Body Strength Band workout

I don't believe this is on the Strong + Centered rotation, but I had been wanting to try this one so did so today! It's pretty good and I do like that it's only 28 minutes in length. I might like it more, the next time I do it as it always takes me a while to make sure band/tubing is positioned correctly and today I might have missed a couple reps adjusting the band. In one of the exercises Jessica does rows at regular pace, and then there are short pulses (about eight or so) to finish out the exercise. At the same time you're lunging and I think she forgets to do the pulses on the 2nd side, on the first circuit through. On the 2nd time, she does so on both sides so not sure I imagined it the first time...or just zoned out during the reps, lol! My favorite exercise is always firewalker type moves with band...anything to work the thighs, really. I am glad to see that we have a band workout for when we're short on time or traveling...and today I've got to get my workout done and get out of the house! I used my Gaiam fabric covered band today, but I have many other types/brands that are in my gadgets closet. The Gaiam band was easy to grab and has served me well over the years!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, strong + centered, strong + centered reviews, strong+centered series