Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-11, 08:46 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm sorry you are dealing with this, it sounds awful painful. I wish they would just schedule you for surgery to correct it. I wish you the best.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 11:14 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

(((Judy))) So sorry you've been afflicted with this, and sorry too that you've felt embarrassed -- no need to be. It's not like you asked for it!

I've heard of PP of course but never knew many details. Off to view this segment and learn more. I too am hoping that the right kind of muscle-strengthening exercise will help, as Fidget Queen commented. Thanks for sharing this with us, and take care!!
More (((hugs))) to you, my friend!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 01:33 PM  
CharM

"Power to the Pelvis!" - it aired again this morning in my area, so I got to see some of it. I had never heard of it, but now I know it's common and definitely nothing to be ashamed about. Now if only I could remember to do kegels.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 02:35 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

((((hugs)))) to you Judy.

Kathy G
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 04:23 PM  
lindseylu8

huge hugs to you Judy! Thank you for sharing & helping others w/ your post!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 05:18 PM  
RENEETX

Judy - thanks for the heads up! I will watch the show tonight!

I started a thread a week or so ago regarding hysterectomy and potential prolapse issues. You responded to me then, thanks.

I went for my 6 week post op check up on Wednesday of this week, and asked my dr. again about exercise as it relates to the future and avoidance of prolapse (I knew nothing about this issue until I read about it AFTER my hysterectomy)....and my doctor once again said that he feels that any exercise that puts added strain and stress on the abs will in turn put added stress and strain on the pelvic floor. I asked specifically about pilates and yoga, and he said that some of the moves are fine, but not the ones that fit that profile of ab stress. Sooo, for that reason, I am anxious to hear what this doctor on the Oz show says about that! I love Pilates, and hate hate hate to feel like I am risking prolapse if continue on with it now...

My doctor also advised against heavy weights. I am not a big fan of heavy lifting, so now at least I have an excuse not to do them.

If you do decide to have surgery, i have read of alot of women reacting badly to the mesh that some doctors have used in the repairs...I just wanted you to know that so you can research it if and when you go down that road.

Keep us all posted!
RENEETX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 07:02 PM  
bee1forfitness

Thank you so much for sharing your personal journey with us...I really like Dr Oz he talks of many subjects which have been forbidden or "hidden" that pertain to women's health and fitness
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 07:11 PM  
kali1

Stupid question here but how can exercise make a prolapse worse?
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 07:41 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Judy}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Judy, please don't think you're all alone in this. From what I've heard, it's really quite common. And don't be ashamed. One thing drives me nuts is the shame attached to so many health issues we women have...just because medicine always seemed more concerned with the guys...I mean we're learning more about menopause now than every before. My mom told me her mom didn't discuss such things with her daughters...no one discussed such things

I so hope you find some relief and improvement in your condition. Thank you for thinking so much of us to share this. You are one brave and strong lady and who knows who you may have helped with this!!!
Old 01-14-11, 07:45 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEETX View Post
I asked specifically about pilates and yoga, and he said that some of the moves are fine, but not the ones that fit that profile of ab stress. Sooo, for that reason, I am anxious to hear what this doctor on the Oz show says about that! I love Pilates, and hate hate hate to feel like I am risking prolapse if continue on with it now...
Unfortunately the segment was too short to discuss specific exercise pros and cons, other than a general "Pilates and other core-type exercises seem to be beneficial" type of remark.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pelvic prolapse, prolapse