Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-22, 05:00 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Probably already well known, but check VF Roost on FB for selling/buying these DVDs. I saw one bundle had already been sold for $60, so those that aren't finding these to your liking, you can probably get most of your money for them (minus shipping) or work out a trade with another person.

I still have yet to try all of the stretch workouts from the set. I did do Rise yesterday, added on to the Full Body Fusion workout. I expected a short AM Sun Salutation sequence, and Rise was not that, at all. I haven't yet previewed this one to see what's in store. I liked this for something different than I already have, so it was fine.

Regarding expectations, the Fusion Flow and Glow is not the same Jessica workout we've seen before. But, maybe she should have called it a Gliding workout instead? But, I understand what has been said...it's not a flowy workout, because it's chopped up by the standing work, plank work, floorwork, etc. But, I like these because they aren't killer Cathe or Mindy Mylrea gliding workouts.

The walking workouts still bug me (for lack of a stopping point) when you want to shorten the workouts. I much preferred the Steady State to the Interval (Fast) Walk.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 06:27 PM  
Floren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I still have yet to try all of the stretch workouts from the set. I did do Rise yesterday, added on to the Full Body Fusion workout. I expected a short AM Sun Salutation sequence, and Rise was not that, at all. I haven't yet previewed this one to see what's in store. I liked this for something different than I already have, so it was fine.

Regarding expectations, the Fusion Flow and Glow is not the same Jessica workout we've seen before. But, maybe she should have called it a Gliding workout instead? But, I understand what has been said...it's not a flowy workout, because it's chopped up by the standing work, plank work, floorwork, etc. But, I like these because they aren't killer Cathe or Mindy Mylrea gliding workouts.

The walking workouts still bug me (for lack of a stopping point) when you want to shorten the workouts. I much preferred the Steady State to the Interval (Fast) Walk.
That’s a great point about expectations. Expecting this set to be Walk Strong 4 or Feel Good Fusion 2.0 will likely be disappointing. I think this set is really good, it’s that the focus and content are different. It’s not like Jessica’s old strength workouts. I personally think it's better (IMHO)

It seems to be more like Lift and Shift “lite”. More strength focused, more controlled so can go heavier and progress up. It incorporates functional moves, supportive muscle strength, core work. The rotation is even similar to Lift and Shift, but less intense.

Pam I see what you mean about calling ‘Fusion Flow and Glow’ a gliding workout rather than a “fusion” workout. Although fusion technically means a mix of styles which this is, maybe we (including me) have come to expect a flowy workout when she says fusion (and not plank city).

I am really liking this series so far, better than her older strength workouts. I’ve tried and liked both Total Body Strength 48 and 31, and also Fusion Flow Sculpt so far.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 06:47 PM  
Floren

Wanted to add that for a more flowy, feel-good workout using gliders, this recent YT video from Jessica Smith felt to me a bit more like what I was expecting for Full Body Fusion.

30 minutes, also a bit of lower body work. I liked it better than Full Body Fusion. And it’s free

Slide + Glide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91LI0EfejgQ
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 07:34 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
It seems to be more like Lift and Shift “lite”. More strength focused, more controlled so can go heavier and progress up. It incorporates functional moves, supportive muscle strength, core work. The rotation is even similar to Lift and Shift, but less intense.
I never tried Lift & Shift but I do like the weight workouts in this set for the reasons you mentioned! I think that is why they are the shining stars of this set for me!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 09:08 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Wanted to add that for a more flowy, feel-good workout using gliders, this recent YT video from Jessica Smith felt to me a bit more like what I was expecting for Full Body Fusion.

30 minutes, also a bit of lower body work. I liked it better than Full Body Fusion. And it’s free

Slide + Glide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91LI0EfejgQ
Floren, thank you for posting the Slide + Glide link! Looks like something I would like very much!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 11:05 PM  
CharM

Stretch and Relax: I did Rise on a different day from the other two.

Rise - I guess it's my fault for assuming it would be something flowy and yoga-ish, something that would wake me up. I didn't like the stretches, and for some I couldn't see what she was doing so I had to watch and then do.

Recover - I was feeling sore in some parts, had some pain in my foot, and was just sooooo sleepy, so I thought I'd do something easy. I don't remember the stretches, but I liked them and felt better after doing them.

Relax - apparently I was still sleepy after Recover and found this very, very relaxing. I don't normally do stretches (I know, I know) but I would do these two back to back again.

Fusion Flow and Glow :

Full Body Flow - I did this today. I had no problems with the furniture glider on my carpet, but my left foot didn't like one of the moves (when both feet were on a glider), so I stopped using them for some exercises. For the plank moves without gliders, I moved slower b/c I had to step in instead of sliding in, so I found myself a rep behind Jessica. She said to go at your own pace, but I found it annoying to be behind. lol I suppose next time I could jump in and out, but I wasn't sure about my left foot at the time. My hope for this dvd was for something like her WS1 Fusion, and while it's not, I can't say I'm too disappointed because this is different from what I already own and judging by how sore I am tonight, maybe it's something my body needed.

Fusion Flow Sculpt: I did this days ago, and remember that it was a "sneaky" workout that made me "sparkle" a little. I'll have to do this again and will edit this post after. Days later... so it's not fun, but I don't need fun right now. I like working one side at a time, with a "break" in between doing combination moves. I don't like that one abs move where you pull your leg in, back to front, pulling in your abs, while rounding the back. I don't really feel anything, but it's possible that I'm doing it wrong.

Core Strength and Stretch

This one didn't work for me this time, but I hope next time will be better now that I know what to expect. I had no idea what she was doing when we were faced down. Of course I had to skip a few reps to watch, but even then I still wasn't sure, so I winged it. haha But whatever it was I did, worked, because I'm sore in the upper body and abs. I won't do that again, though, because that's just asking for an injury.
My vertigo is back. Yay. It actually wasn't so bad, but I didn't know that at the time, so I was a little slow in turning over and to catch up on what she was doing.
My gliders were difficult to move with my hands doing "Wall Angels" (on your back).
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-22, 10:25 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Just a heads up for anyone else planning to return any of these, Amazon only refunds half for opened DVDs. Wish I would have known that before I returned them.
That stinks!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 08:18 PM  
Anne29

Quote:
I think this set is really good, it’s that the focus and content are different. It’s not like Jessica’s old strength workouts. I personally think it's better (IMHO)

Agreed! I've tried all the workouts so far except maybe a few of the stretch segments and I really like them. The Lift & Shift strengths workouts were a little too long for me and I didn't quite have the range of motion or core/back strength to do some of the slow sets safely. There's a lot of work on the hip hinge and the smaller muscles in the upper back and shoulders. I've done the first month of the S & C rotation so far and I can already feel improvements in my posture and core strength. I'm going on a trip for 10 days but when I come back I'm really excited to see what another month of the rotation will do for me. It's a really well-designed program.
Anne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-22, 09:40 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I've tried the entire bundle all now:

Liked:
--both Circuit workouts
--the lower body workout on the Splits workout (my lower back didn't like the upper body)
--bonus band workout on the Total Body Strength
--the scenery

Disliked:
--5K: just not creative enough, too much repetition, music uninspiring, liked Steady better than the Fast one but still not as creative as her other walks
--Fusion: my gliders don't work without shoes, music boring, not a "fusion" workout, planks in the first one, too much repetition
--Total Body Strength: still don't care for Jessica's weight work even though I really wanted to, my twingy lower back really didn't like it, found it boring
--Stretch: awkward stretches, didn't stretch major muscle groups enough, didn't like enough to finish

I'm glad others like the set, but think I'll just be using this set to help get through the winter. I missed Debbie, too, mostly because I was so bored in these that I missed Jessica's banter with her. (Hate to say that I really didn't miss Beth though.)
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 09:12 AM  
donnamp

Posting my thoughts on Split Sessions.....

Split workouts are not my preference, I prefer total body - but that said, these were different - like all of the workouts in this set I feel there is a focus on function, posture, stabilization, etc. It wasn't what I feared - endless squats or bicep curls.

The Lower Body workout was long - 48 minutes. It is one that I can't see myself ever going super heavy on due to the use of the gliders and the hip hinging. I am doing much better overall w/ the hip hinge and I think that is a good thing. I found the LB workout to be a bit tedious due to the repetitions, the first "circuit" is repeated 3X and I felt that was just a little too much. The other circuits - I think there were 2 of them -were just repeated 2X. I wish the workout were chaptered so that there would be an easier way of shortening it rather than fast forwarding. This is one I could see myself doing more often if there was an "express" option - just one set of everything. If I recall correctly, the last circuit was mainly floorwork. I did skip the glider on the floorwork though - it seemed a recipe for back tweaking, at least for me.

The Upper Body workout was shorter at 35 minutes and didn't feel as tedious. Everything was just repeated 2X and it was a good mix of posture/functional stuff.

So my thoughts overall - for someone who doesn't like splits - I did actually like these workouts.

In fact, it may be fun to try doing 1 set of everything and making it a total body routine.

I do wish there were chapters to make that easier.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, strong + centered, strong + centered reviews, strong+centered series