Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-03, 12:03 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Looking for the Firm infomercial

I haven't seen it yet, though Saturday is a good day to look. I HAVE seen Tony Little screaming at me to buy some kind of glider, and somebody Childress--who I swear is filmed through gauze to make her look younger--trying to convince me that aerobic breathing will help me lose pounds and inches, while never once showing what it is (can any other informercial get by without ever giving a glimpse of what you're going to be getting?)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-03, 12:17 PM  
PamelaP

Believe me, Kathryn, you don't WANT to see what Greer Childers does. If that's the good ol' Body Flex program, what you do is get down on all fours, take in a huge deep breath, force it out whilst uttering a loud "PPPPPAAAAAAAHHHHHHH" and roll your eyes into the back of your head. It's quite a sight to behold, and has become a Hall of Shame favorite at VF get-togethers. They probably leave out actual scenes in the infomercial in case it would scare off customers.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-03, 06:42 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

I caught the infomercial 1 and 1/2 times Friday night/Saturday morning.

At 3:00 a.m. (I think, I was punchy by then) it was on Lifetime, I think. At 10:30 it was on a local station, so it could show up anywhere.

My Mom got Body Flex once. Pamela's description is pretty accurate, only she left out the part where you have to hold your mouth a certain way (seriously).

The infomercial I thought was most interesting last night was for some supplement (no serious supplement talk here, I promise) called Sun Chorella. I thought it was really funny since I have an aunt named Corella. I sort of thought maybe I should call and make sure nobody had pureed her and started selling her as supplements (ala Soylent Green).

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 09:17 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I finally did find the Firm infomercial. Very nicely done, and would convince me to buy the set if I didn't already have it. Our own Joan B. was prominently featured, and was the Stephanie B?

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 09:57 AM  
Swissmom

OH NO Laura!!! Do you mean to tell me that Soylent Green is people???!!!! NOOooooooooooooo
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 10:32 AM  
Mellyf
VF Supporter

Finally caught it this morning

I thought it was very well done. I was almost tempted to buy it, even though I have the DVDs on loan right now. I don't know...if I see it again, I may not have the willpower to pass it up. I'm convincing myself that I need the fanny lifter, even though I have a 14" box, 10" box, plus my Step Co step that can go up to 12" w/ the risers. That FL looks just so darned convenient, though.
Old 05-04-03, 10:47 AM  
roz

I caught most of it this mornng-- everyone looks great!
I do think these Firm infomercials really show the benefits of exercise over just dieting, and especially weight training. Even when someone is not super-thin, they look so much better and toned. Sometimes when I see before and afters that just involved diet, people look skinny flabby. Not very inspirational.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 11:05 AM  
mbt

i'm watching it right now on lifetime. this is the second time i've seen it. i've got to admit it's got some pretty cheesy parts, but the success stories are neat.
mbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 11:28 AM  
britt
VF Supporter

Finally!!! Everybody looks great
britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 12:46 PM  
Kimba

Re: Looking for the Firm infomercial

LOLOLOL!!!!

I saw the Firm informercial twice this morning, at 9:30 and 10:00 AM. I think that woman's name is Greer and I'm sorry, I've thought that breathing thing was the biggest ripoff since I first saw her hawking it on the Home Shopping Network in the 90's. And what is with that Jackie Chan Cableflex thingy that comes with it? LOL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn
I , and somebody Childress--who I swear is filmed through gauze to make her look younger--trying to convince me that aerobic breathing will help me lose pounds and inches, while never once showing what it is (can any other informercial get by without ever giving a glimpse of what you're going to be getting?)
Kimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bss1, cable flex