Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-22, 01:04 PM  
Negin

s/o Does anyone else not like Jessica Smith's Split Stance Moves?

I never really care for them, they feel awkward to me, and I have a hard time balancing. I'm thinking of eliminating all the routines that have split stances, or, possibly modifying. Am I the only one who doesn't care for them?
Old 11-19-22, 01:49 PM  
kat999

I don't super love them. I either keep a foot on the floor or modify sometimes. Other times I do as prescribed. It just kind of depends on how I'm feeling.

I love Jessica but her strength workouts have been feeling a bit meh to me lately, maybe because she's trying too hard to combine moves that don't seem to make as much logical sense to me. I recently read an article that these kinds of gimmicky strength moves are not as effective as just focusing on a more traditional style of weight lifting, but the latter has gotten a reputation for being staid/bland/old-fashioned, so workout designers have created all these weird compound moves to trick you into thinking it's doing more than it really is.
Old 11-19-22, 02:09 PM  
fanofladyvols

I am sorry I don't have these workouts to know specifically what version of split stance Jessica uses but modifying the stance slightly (or using staggered stance) instead may be something you try? Finally, the purpose behind implementing the shift in stance may or may not fit your goals or needs and it's perfectly reasonable to eliminate it altogether.

Here's a great video that I think pulls it together quickly...ffwd 48 second mark and view from there on:
https://youtu.be/YiwYd_ibIZQ

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-22, 03:00 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I never really care for them, they feel awkward to me, and I have a hard time balancing. I'm thinking of eliminating all the routines that have split stances, or, possibly modifying. Am I the only one who doesn't care for them?
I don't mind them overall, but I usually modify by not lunging as low as Jessica. They seem to improve my balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I don't super love them. I either keep a foot on the floor or modify sometimes. Other times I do as prescribed. It just kind of depends on how I'm feeling.

I love Jessica but her strength workouts have been feeling a bit meh to me lately, maybe because she's trying too hard to combine moves that don't seem to make as much logical sense to me. I recently read an article that these kinds of gimmicky strength moves are not as effective as just focusing on a more traditional style of weight lifting, but the latter has gotten a reputation for being staid/bland/old-fashioned, so workout designers have created all these weird compound moves to trick you into thinking it's doing more than it really is.
I can think of one move like that, that I don't care for. It's in the new workout with her mom, Fitness Training for Functional Aging. It's sort of a kettlebell type swing between the legs with the dumbbell, then you bring the dumbbell up on one shoulder, then overhead, then down on the other shoulder, back down to the swing. Next move you switch shoulders. That one tweaks my lower back and my shoulders. However, I like the rest of the workout pretty well.

I really like Improved Health's strength workouts. She uses basic moves that make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I am sorry I don't have these workouts to know specifically what version of split stance Jessica uses but modifying the stance slightly (or using staggered stance) instead may be something you try? Finally, the purpose behind implementing the shift in stance may or may not fit your goals or needs and it's perfectly reasonable to eliminate it altogether.

Here's a great video that I think pulls it together quickly...ffwd 48 second mark and view from there on:
Thanks for the link to the video, that was helpful.
Old 11-19-22, 03:37 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm really careful about avoiding injury, and sometimes those so called functional moves with weights worry me so I just don't do them. Once in a while I'll try one on my own when I can be careful about what I'm doing, but not when following a video.

If you want you can practice the move on your own so you can go at the speed that works for. If you don't feel like it, modify or skip it.
Old 11-20-22, 02:17 AM  
Negin

Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I love Jessica but her strength workouts have been feeling a bit meh to me lately
Yes, you've clarified how I've been feeling. I realize that her strength workouts are not my favorites, which is perfectly fine, since I have Margaret Richard, Lift with Cee, and a whole bunch of others instead. Not to say that I won't do any of Jessica's strength workouts, but I will likely reach for them less. Too many workouts and too little time. I'd rather spend my time on workouts that I love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
That really helps. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I don't mind them overall, but I usually modify by not lunging as low as Jessica. They seem to improve my balance.

I really like Improved Health's strength workouts. She uses basic moves that make sense to me.
One of the reasons that I've been sticking with the split stance so far has been to hopefully improve my balance, which really matters to me.
Oh, I love Improved Health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I'm really careful about avoiding injury, and sometimes those so called functional moves with weights worry me.
Yes, same here.
Old 11-20-22, 08:59 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I don't care for doing weight work with a split stance/forward leaning posture either. It hurts my back and has completely turned me off Jessica Smith's workouts. Sad, because she used to be my mainstay.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-22, 11:06 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I don't care for doing weight work with a split stance/forward leaning posture either. It hurts my back and has completely turned me off Jessica Smith's workouts. Sad, because she used to be my mainstay.
Carol
Carol, that is sad. I'll see if I can modify for now. Otherwise, I'll focus more on her other types - stretching, walking, barre work, etc.
Old 11-20-22, 05:23 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
One of the reasons that I've been sticking with the split stance so far has been to hopefully improve my balance, which really matters to me.
Oh, I love Improved Health!
I just did an Improved Health Lower Body Workout, day 4 of her short strength series. And she had a split stance in it, lol. It was a lunge down to the floor. However, she didn't use any weights and showed modifications. I found that not using the weight made it a lot easier.

She also includes a balance move at the end of the lower body workouts, which I appreciated. I also incorporate some balance moves into her workouts by doing the move without holding onto the chair.
Old 11-21-22, 02:12 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I just did an Improved Health Lower Body Workout, day 4 of her short strength series. And she had a split stance in it, lol. It was a lunge down to the floor. However, she didn't use any weights and showed modifications. I found that not using the weight made it a lot easier.
Sherry, right before seeing your post just now, I was on her channel, adding that specific workout, as well as her very recent ones to my watch later playlist. That is funny about the split stance . Yes, I'm sure it's much easier without weights. I also try to do some type of balance work almost every day.

Tags
jessica smith, split stance