Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-20, 09:32 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Which CS season(s) would be ideal for me. I'm interested in overall more standing work. Floor work is okay except ab/core that involves crunches since I can't do that since my neck surgery. I did Essentrics Stretch with Meg the other day and liked her instruction and the slowness of the moves. I did Full Body Toning yesterday with Sahra and I found myself looking at the tv more to see if I was doing things right. I wish the CS espisodes were longer b/c I prefer a 30-45 min workout/stretch. So many an episode that would be easier to do two episodes back to back without repeat. I heard episode 9 is more cardio and that is also something I'm interested in for variety as well as it's not Dream Body pace!

I've heard in posts that people prefer the newer seasons b/c the method has evolved. Which seasons are "newer"??

Thanks!
Season 10 and I think 13 as well (but feel free to correct me on this) shows on the back of the disc case whether the workout is AS, AB, or AF (Standing, Barre, Floor). So this may help you at least for these two seasons.
Old 08-04-20, 10:31 AM  
lavna

If you go to their website, you have, for each DVD, the episode list and whether it's AB, AS, SF, AF, etc.

The seasons are numbered in chronological order. So season 13 is the most recent.

HTH
Nathalie
lavna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 11:15 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
If you go to their website, you have, for each DVD, the episode list and whether it's AB, AS, SF, AF, etc.

The seasons are numbered in chronological order. So season 13 is the most recent.

HTH
Nathalie
Right, I forgot about that. Also on their streaming side of the website, there are search options to finding "Standing Only" workouts.
Old 08-04-20, 11:32 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

years ago, i borrowed a CS DVD from the local library - Arms & Abs, Legs & Butt from 2003. it was underwhelming. in 2014, i started a thread* about dislike at first sight on 3 purchases from the December sale.

i like Sahra for the reasons described - she explains more and cues better. i'm the type that needs that sort of instruction. i also like the other instructors - Gail Garceau, Meg Feeney, Amanda Cyr.

i found a couple of recently released DVDs by Miranda in Goodwill and these were from the Aging Backwards series - these were pretty decent - probably because they were stand-alone workouts created outside of her PBS TV series.

i borrowed Miranda's audiobooks from the library's Overdrive collection that you can listen to on your smartphone. these are really excellent - all 3 audiobooks are read by various other narrators.

i got Season 4 in a trade, and really like it. and the 2 back pain episodes came at the most opportune moment - i hurt my back 2 weeks ago. i still think Miranda is kinda loopy , but now that i have an understanding of the basis for her method, i just follow along and find that the movements suit me at this time in my fitness journey.

i am not saying that one should force themselves to like a particular instructor/series, but in my case i studied other formats of the method enough to revisit the DVDs. i still prefer Sahra as an instructor.

*anyone dislike classical stretch or essentrics?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 02:21 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I don’t have any suggestions for you really. I’ve been trying to incorporate a Classical Stretch episode nightly. I would suggest checking your library to see if you could check any out. I like the episodes because they are only 23 minutes long and easy to fit in. A lot of Essentrics workouts are half an hour so they fit in nicely too.

I did want to mention that Sahra didn’t create Essentrics Miranda did. Miranda made a 2 disc set a long time ago called Essentrics. I don’t personally see a huge difference between the two as far as movement goes. Difference in instructors is another matter of course.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 03:20 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
I don’t personally see a huge difference between the two as far as movement goes. Difference in instructors is another matter of course.
According to Miranda, herself, there's no difference, it's just that Essentrics is marketed to a younger market.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 08:48 PM  
DCW

Essentrics usually has a sale in December on all DVDs.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 05:16 AM  
IceQueen07

If you were to buy a season would you buy 12 or 13? I sampled both a little during my trial and liked both. I have other seasons, I still consider myself a beginner, but have seen the flexibility benefits from doing these daily.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 07:51 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
If you were to buy a season would you buy 12 or 13? I sampled both a little during my trial and liked both. I have other seasons, I still consider myself a beginner, but have seen the flexibility benefits from doing these daily.
Season 12 is a little slow for me. Season 13 is good but compared to the others, it is a shorter season (not as many workouts). Apparently Miranda got injured at some point so they rapped up the filming early.

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, essentrics, season 11, season 4