Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 03-12-05, 06:12 PM  
Kimberly33

Add me into the consistency crew.

I've lost about 60-70 pounds from my highest weight. As others have said, my experience has been that getting into a regular routine is THE MOST important thing to do. For cardio--pick something that makes you work, but that you enjoy. If it's just work, you won't want to do it. And everyone finds different things enjoyable. I like step, but am not a huge fan of kickboxing. I LOVE spinning and riding my bike.

For weight loss, what I eat affects whether and how fast I lose. Working out regularly makes it easier for me to eat well.

Lifting weights and doing core/ab work really makes me feel good and sense progress, even when it might not be showing up on the scale. It also helps to strengthen the muscles around my joints, making cardio less stressfull on them.

I hope you find things that work for you!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 08:07 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie26
I am just wondering what worked well for people that had over 25 pounds to lose. Sometimes its harder to do certain videos if you have extra weight or are out of shape. So I am wondering what video helped you the best to lose weight?
ok. I am posting on this. some of you may know that once upon a time i was considerably overweight. I did the WW thing and started working out since WW alone wasn't enough.
I started with David Gray funk factor and love love loved it..
then I moved onto Kari Anderson's Fitness Formula as it was varied and had a variety of levels.. she's great and that video is great
worked a lot of aerobics and step and did a huge amt of body bar.. I used to do a lot of the cory everson interval stuff .. also did some cathe, and early cia with faith, janis, and others..
I lost over 35 pounds that way.. (almost 160 at one point)

I have since moved onto pilates and ball workouts including large ball, small ball (aka yamuna types stuff) plus tbm.. it's made a huge difference in my body shape ! I have lost easily another 10 pounds in the last 6 months.. and tons of inches..
Stevie
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 08:33 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie W
I have since moved onto pilates and ball workouts including large ball, small ball (aka yamuna types stuff) plus tbm.. it's made a huge difference in my body shape ! I have lost easily another 10 pounds in the last 6 months.. and tons of inches..
Stevie
What's tbm, Stevie?

Amy, who's hoping the answer isn't obvious and I'm just clueless

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 08:44 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyzan
What's tbm, Stevie?

Amy, who's hoping the answer isn't obvious and I'm just clueless
Hey Amy
tbm= The Bar Method with Burr (whatever her last name is)
it's a variation of the lotte berk method. I just had a chance to see the basic essentials from lotte berk dvd thanks to netflix.. and compared to the TBM dvd, the basic essentials wimps out. It's not long enough though the cueing is excellent and the instructor's voice isn't as annoying.
I like the workout and it gave me some tips on variations.. but I am glad I didn't buy it. after 2 days, I learned everything I needed to know.. which wasn't much.
I guess I am farther along than I thought. It's most likely similar the to the ballet workouts too
Stevie
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 10:33 PM  
PamelaP

For those who are bothered by bumped or revived threads, I wanted to point out that this one is over two years old and the originator hasn't logged in since early 2004. However, I'm going to put it on my list for consideration to move it to the FAQs, since it's obviously a timeless topic. So now that it's bumped anyway...keep the suggestions coming.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 11:15 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaP
...the originator hasn't logged in since early 2004.
I always feel kind of sad when I find out that someone hasn't been around for a while. I know it's stupid, but I wonder what happened to them, and if they are still exercising and taking care of themselves, or if they left VF because they inadvertantly read some threads geared toward advanced exercisers and were intimidated by them or something like that. When I first joined VF, I mistakenly thought everyone here looked like Karen Voight or Cathe, but fortunately, I was too incredibly stupid to be intimidated, so I'm still around...

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 11:46 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Thanks Stevie! TBM, eh, that's one more for my list to try out in the future!

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 05:37 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaP
For those who are bothered by bumped or revived threads, I wanted to point out that this one is over two years old and the originator hasn't logged in since early 2004.
I didn't even notice!!
But it is worth saving.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 07:13 AM  
treasaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishelle
Hello!

I lost a good amount of weight (i.e. 40 pounds) using the 45 minute Lean Strong and Healthy step video before knowing about VF and the world of other fitness video's and with out adhering to a ridiculous diet. This video is deceptively harder then it appears because you are encouraged to do it with proper form and resistance at a slower pace then most step videos so that you can engage various muscles. I was put off from it at first because I thought it would be too easy, but I was wrong. Susan is chatty in a coachful way, but I didn't find it distracting because of the intensity of the workout.

Best of Luck,
Mish
I'll agree with you, Mish - years ago, I got into very good shape with this one - also had gallstones working to my advantage at that time, forcing me to eat clean. That slow, controlled movement really works. A little boring after a while, but effective. If Susan didn't talk so much, it'd be TOO boring.
Old 07-31-05, 09:16 AM  
RENUKA PAI

Leslie sansone videos are easy for a heavier person.
No amount of execise will work if it is not paired with really healthy eating. When you need to lose lots of weight, you may benefit from some professional advice about your diet.
With the correct kind of diet, simple walk based workouts and light weight training you should be able to start losing weight. As you get smaller and fitter you can graduate to higher level workouts.
I speak from experience. I was almost 200 lb and am down to 148 lbs. It took me two years, lots of hard work and a STRICT diet.
RENUKA PAI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadway sweat, kathy smith tone up, mis, old thread alert, results, significant weight loss, successful weight loss, weight loss