Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-21, 01:46 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Functional Fitness: What does it entail?

I know it's supposed to mimic moves we use in everyday life, but I don't exactly know what those moves are. Tracie Long did some dvds a long time ago that were supposed to be functional. Many moves were on the stability ball that I didn't think were exactly functional.

I'm still confused by the whole thing. I'd welcome any input on the subject.
Old 08-17-21, 03:54 PM  
alisoncooks

I would say that functional exercise doesn't necessarily mimic everyday moves, but strengthens the muscles we use in everyday movements. So the balance ball might work the core and balance, which support so many positions?
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-21, 04:28 PM  
bfit

My understanding is that functional fitness emphasizes balance and coordination and engaging small muscles which mimics what we do in everyday life more than biceps curls and heavy weights and things like that do.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-21, 05:36 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm not sure what's meant when people making workout programs or fitness dvds use the phrase, but when I hear the phrase, it brings to mind the sort of physical therapy exercises my dad did when he was trying to rebuild his strength after a hospitalization. He'd be so weak he could barely stand, so having him at home was riskier than it would have been otherwise.

So, things like being able to stand up, shift his weight from one side to another, developing upper body strength, etc., could help him transfer from his wheelchair to the shower or toilet.

When he had an injury to a leg or foot and needed to keep his weight off of it, they worked a lot on upper body strength, so he could use his arms to support himself.

At home the PTs mostly used exercise bands, and I was amazed at how much muscle he could build by simply being consistent.
Old 08-17-21, 07:08 PM  
Leonana

Justina Ercole did a video on functional training. She said very simply it’s training for your daily life. She goes more into depth in her video and demonstrates how she incorporates it into her workout. She also says that everybody’s life is different, so it will be different for each person.

https://youtu.be/lVTAMGOVII8
Old 08-18-21, 09:58 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Justina Ercole did a video on functional training. She said very simply it’s training for your daily life. She goes more into depth in her video and demonstrates how she incorporates it into her workout. She also says that everybody’s life is different, so it will be different for each person.

I was just going to mention Justina!
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-21, 09:59 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogribbit View Post
I was just going to mention Justina!
Her videos are so detailed with helpful information!
Old 08-19-21, 05:33 PM  
DCW

My exercise instructor had a church pew functional fitness test.

After sitting down stand up without touching the pew or chair in front of you.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 06:04 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
My exercise instructor had a church pew functional fitness test.

After sitting down stand up without touching the pew or chair in front of you.
The advanced modification would be to come up from the kneeler without touching the back the the pew in front of you or the seat the the pew behind you.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-21, 09:03 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post

this was very informative to me. As I decide who to follow and figure out why I like one Instructors style over another..

she is very good at explaining. I'm so glad all these people that want to fitness trainer instruction school have a place to showcase their finger prints.

I don't think exercises were explained much in previous years, it was just do this 3 x a week. I think what i was missing was wanting the backside knowledge of it.

again, thanks for the link.. too bad there was not a list of qualified instructors like the link you mentioned.. I'd like one for slower speed and no kick boxing. yuck. (lol)

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, functional fitness, justina ercole