Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-20, 09:31 AM  
Buzzer

What do you use to protect your shoulders/neck when putting dumbbells on shoulders?

I don't have a bar, so I use my dumbbells on my shoulders ala Firm style when I do squats and leg presses. I am currently using a children's small size tights draped around the back of my neck and the legs go down my chest to pad the dumbbells, but there's gotta be a better way!

I've tried a towel, but it slips when I take the weights up and down, and is awkward and hot. I've tried the tights, which are really doing good, but don't offer enough padding.

I'm thinking something similar to the manta ray for using a bar, but for dumbbells.

Thanks in advance!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-20, 09:44 AM  
Taiga

What size DBs are you averaging? I ended up going to a weighted vest or vest plus DBs to reduce the load near my neck/shoulders. That still provides a great leg workout. You could easily add 60-80lbs (I have seen vests that go up to 150lbs ) by vest and then add smaller DBs as needed.

ETA: If you are using 40lbs total or less, then vests can really be a more comfortable and relatively inexpensive solution.
Old 05-21-20, 10:00 AM  
Buzzer

Hmmmm... I hadn't thought of a weighted vest. Are they a pain to get on and off quickly? I will have a tendency to just skip it if it takes too long or is too complicated!

Today I had a 35 pound dumbbell on each shoulder and felt like it was going to break my shoulder blades. Might be a good idea to go lower on my weights and higher on the vest weight to make up for it though....
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-21-20, 10:19 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Hmmmm... I hadn't thought of a weighted vest. Are they a pain to get on and off quickly? I will have a tendency to just skip it if it takes too long or is too complicated!

Today I had a 35 pound dumbbell on each shoulder and felt like it was going to break my shoulder blades. Might be a good idea to go lower on my weights and higher on the vest weight to make up for it though....
It really depends on the vest. They have different qualities and features that can vary with price and intended purpose. I have a smaller quick release vest (takes seconds) that I use for plyo legs and walking. It is airy and comfortable. My heavier vest probably takes 10 seconds or so to put on or take off. It is breathable but not quite as airy due to a more sturdy design.

A 40lb vest with 15lb DB on each shoulder would likely be far more comfortable and safe than 35lb DBs on each shoulder.
Old 05-21-20, 10:31 AM  
Buzzer

you are a life saver!! I will look into a weighted vest! Thank you so much!!!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-21-20, 10:38 AM  
Buzzer

So as I sift through the weighted vest options... anyone have any recommendations? I was hoping for adjustable, comfortable, not too hot, easy to adjust. Oh, and doesn't break easily since i would want one to last!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-21-20, 11:12 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
So as I sift through the weighted vest options... anyone have any recommendations? I was hoping for adjustable, comfortable, not too hot, easy to adjust. Oh, and doesn't break easily since i would want one to last!!
If you are petite, searching for a women's vest would really help with fit. If you have an average to muscular build and height, you may have more options in unisex or men's vest. Your budget may also be a deciding factor.

My vests are older and not on the market any more so not much help there.

Cap makes a reasonably priced starter vest. My vest design is similar in cut and comfortable though the weights are spread out more in mine.

MiR has a heavier wt range and good reviews but is more pricey.

Runmax has shoulder pad options
Old 05-25-20, 10:02 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I place a hand towel on each shoulder and hold the dumbells on top of them, but I've never done it with anything heavier than 15 lbs.
Old 05-31-20, 07:06 PM  
carly

I saw this article in Wired on weighted vest today.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-w...rcise-vest/amp
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 10:31 PM  
Buzzer

Carly, that was interesting. I ended up getting a 20 pound vest since I could get it at a pretty good price. I haven't tried it yet, but figured if I grab my 20's instead of my 30's, I can do it!! I thought about a 40 pound vest, but I was afraid it would be too heavy and difficult to get on and off.

I guess he's thinking the vest only, but I'm thinking vest with my weights. Interesting take on it though! Thank you!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14

Tags
weighted vest