Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-19, 03:04 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I just started this year. Some of my family and I went to learn TM and we really enjoyed it. I try to get in 1 or 2 sessions a day. It really seems to make a difference in my reaction to events. Much more laid back

I figure any number of sessions is good. The preferred is 2 but when I read online ... many started with one and worked up to 2 for more energy and ability to deal with stress.

I have also tried some of the meditations on alo moves. Love the guided meditation that contains vibrational sounds from the bowls and crystals.
HEALING SOUND BATH
Susy Markoe Schieffelin
Old 09-18-19, 05:53 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Unfortunately for me for some reason this type of breathing makes me very anxious. I have no idea why it does, but the anxiety is bad enough I don't even try it anymore.
I have the same difficulty with alternate nose breathing, Vantreesta. I think it has to do with the feeling of just not being able to take a full breath. It causes me more anxiety than it does to relieve my anxiety!
Old 09-18-19, 06:00 PM  
sillygirl

I just gifted myself a meditation cushion from Amazon this week! It arrived and my husband gave me a funny look and said I could just use a pillow. 😁 I haven’t spent more than a few minutes on it but even thinking about sitting on it relaxes me. 😊
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 06:11 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
I just gifted myself a meditation cushion from Amazon this week! It arrived and my husband gave me a funny look and said I could just use pillow. 😁 I haven’t spent more than a few minutes on it but even thinking about sitting on it relaxes me. 😊
I debated about buying one. I have several yoga bolsters and may try those.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 06:52 PM  
bubbles76

I would like to start meditating. I think I need guided meditation. I like thinking about focusing on gratitude. My job is highly stressful, especially this time of year. I know I could use it. Any advice on where to start? I'll try youtube, CDs. Can't do apps, as my phone has no space, but if I could put the app on my computer that would probably work. I have a Mac. Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 07:27 PM  
BunnyHop

My efforts to establish a seated practice have not been very successful, but since I've branched out from that into whatever sort of mindfulness I can manage, I've been seeing the benefits anyway.

I've been listening to meditation type cds at bedtime the past few weeks and I think it helps me fall asleep. I'd had trouble with insomnia for a long time and have worked to improve my sleep hygiene, and being able to quiet my mind has been a huge help.

Ann Dyer's Z-Yoga, both the yoga practice dvd and the audio cd have been a good experience.

Rod Stryker's Relax into Greatness and Karen Klutznick's Conscious Relaxation are both guided yoga nidra practices in a similar style. (She got his permission to do hers in such a close approximation of his.) I prefer Karen's, but the differences are small. Just their voices leading the meditation. You do it lying down, you form an intention (sankalpa?) and just listen as they lead you along. Those practices got me through some exhausting times during my father's last years of life.

In more general mindfulness meditation practices, I've learned a lot from Jon Kabat Zinn. I've got a lot of his CD's, and one of his books (Full Catastrophe Living). I like being able to listen along and let him guide me, but sometimes I like the ones with just the timed bells.

I don't do any of the apps because I don't have a smartphone and just haven't taken that technological leap yet.
Old 09-18-19, 07:35 PM  
sillygirl

All three Element Yoga DVDs with Alanna Zabel include 10-minute guided meditations that I think are great! I really like her workouts too. I think she’s a great instructor and the scenery is beautiful.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 08:09 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Off and on; I did about 40 days straight over the summer,often using Insight timer and other audio. It's been harder to do more "formal" meditations (even for 5 minutes) since the semester started at the college where I work.

But I'm still trying, just less formally. When I lie down to bed every night, I spend a few minutes in some kind of mindful activity--sometimes being mindful of the breath, sometimes reviewing what went well from the day, sometimes sending lovingkindness, sometimes thinking of what I am grateful for, whatever. I have been doing that pretty consistently plus at least a brief "formal" meditation a few times/week.

It isn't a miracle cure, but it does settle my thoughts (think snow globe at rest), which leads to more restful sleep.

ETA my advice:
1) Meditation/Mindfulness does NOT mean clearing your mind - it means viewing what's going on in your mind (and elsewhere in your body) more clearly. It means creating space around thoughts/emotions so that you can choose to respond rather than react.
2) Borrowed from Sharon Salzberg: you can always begin again.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 08:13 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I would like to start meditating. I think I need guided meditation. I like thinking about focusing on gratitude. My job is highly stressful, especially this time of year. I know I could use it. Any advice on where to start? I'll try youtube, CDs. Can't do apps, as my phone has no space, but if I could put the app on my computer that would probably work. I have a Mac. Thanks!
Bubbles, a simple gratitude practice is to list (in your head or on paper) 1-3 things you are grateful for at the end of each day.

Many practitioners have free meditations on their web sites.

Jack Kornfield Gratitude Meditation:
https://jackkornfield.com/gratitude-meditation/

Tara Brach Gratitude Talks/Meditations:
https://www.tarabrach.com/gratitude/

Rick Hanson Gratitude Meditations:
https://www.rickhanson.net/meditation-gratitude/
https://www.rickhanson.net/gratitude-2/

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-18-19, 08:18 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Unfortunately for me for some reason this type of breathing makes me very anxious. I have no idea why it does, but the anxiety is bad enough I don't even try it anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti S. View Post
I have the same difficulty with alternate nose breathing, Vantreesta. I think it has to do with the feeling of just not being able to take a full breath. It causes me more anxiety than it does to relieve my anxiety!
Breathwork can make people anxious, especially those more prone to anxiety. Many breath techniques will trigger the PNS (parasympathetic nervous system) and result in a physiological relaxation response that includes things like slowing HR and lowering BP.

A few simpler strategies to try:
1) Notice the inhale and the exhale. Gradually allow the inhale and the exhale to become more even.
2) Slightly extend the length of the exhale for a few beats or up to twice as long as the inhale.
3) Focus on the exhale only (esp if breathing in is challenging/anxiety provoking). Try breathing out through pursued lips, as if blowing out candles slowly.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
meditation, stress relief