Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-17, 12:08 AM  
Genevieve M

proper form on kettlebell swings?

Hi,

I've been using YT for my workouts lately. I've seen a couple of instructors do the swing a little differently than what I was taught. Wanted to check in with the kettlebell afficionados here to get your take.

This is what I've been taught about a 2-handed swing:

- stand with your feet about shoulder width apart, toes pointed forward, soft or slightly bent knees
- bend at the waist and keep back straight
- swing the kettlebell directly under your torso (right under your lady parts)
- use your hips to swing the kettlebell up in front of you, no higher than chest height
- repeat

Seems pretty simple, right? BodyfitbyAmy showed her swings only going as far in front as her waist. It didn't seem like much range of motion, and momentum from her hips didn't seem to be involved.

I thought the whole point of a basic swing was that it was an explosive movement, driven by the hips.

I saw another instructor point her toes out diagonally, almost like a ballet position. That didn't seem right at all.

So, what's your take - are my instructions correct? Thanks for any insight you may have.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 03:54 AM  
deineira

I think your description is accurate. There is a lot of bad form on YouTube. I would check out videos by Lauren Brooks or Tracy Reifkind to see good form. Both are certified and know their stuff. YouTube has zero quality control and anyone can put up a video, whether they know what they're doing or not. I took classes from a local RKC certified coach before I started training at home and it was worth every penny.

Tracey has a ton of content on YouTube.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 05:30 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I swing the kettlebell just like you described.

It is a hip driven movement, using momentum to get the bell to horizontal. I've also seen a lot of poor form with kettlebells. The main thing I see people do is not use momentum and turn the bell movement into an arm raise.

Another incorrect move I've seen is bending over at the waist without bending the knees. Such a recipe for back pain!
Old 09-02-17, 06:33 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

You said bend at and the waist and keep back straight. I would say hinge at the hip and keep back straight.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 06:46 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
You said bend at and the waist and keep back straight. I would say hinge at the hip and keep back straight.

Agreed!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 09:12 AM  
katmom

Quote:
This! I have also seen some bad form on YouTube and some DVD programs, however it is hard to beat the form from the previously mentioned trainers.
Old 09-02-17, 09:42 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
That's exactly what I was going to say. I always remember a comment Leslie made in one of her workouts: (paraphased) there's no joints in your waist, don't bend there!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 10:02 AM  
horusosiris

Lauren gives excellent BB instruction for the correct form for the KB swing. I would also recommend Anthony Deluglio (AOS) and Skogg. Anthony is my favorite. Here is a youtube video in which he demonstrates the KB swing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDG2HpAflkg
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 10:22 AM  
buttons11

I agree there are many examples on Youtube on how NOT to kettlebell. Recipes for injury.

You've got great recommendations above.

Genevieve M, here is Karen Smith, Master StrongFirst Instructor describing and demonstrating details for proper hip hinge, swing, deadlift.

I was trained in a gym by Danny Sawaya, a StrongFirst Team Leader. Danny was trained directly by Pavel Tsatsouline. Danny trained me the same way Karen describes in this video. No injuries in two years training. I was in the best overall shape/fitness ever. Mobile. Flexible. Strong. I miss it...can't train there now due to my asthma. Just providing info so you know who/why I'm recommending her. Of course there are other ways to swing...injury free & strength is my main focus.

Hope the links below helps Genevieve M

This first link is from Karen on the Girls Gone Strong Youtube channel [lots of great info on this channel]

https://youtu.be/2Yp2OX0KJdA

This second link is from Karen's own channel...she has even more info/instruction there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDBosfFUuDs
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 12:32 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Yeah, I looked at the videos that Amy has, and it really looks like she is swinging the bell too low (not close enough to her body/crotch on the downswing - it looks like it is closer to her knees) and she also looks like she is arching her back at the top. I wonder how she is able to do that without feeling back pain??

Like everyone else mentioned, Lauren Brooks has great videos regarding swing form, as well as Tracy Reifkind and the others mentioned.

Personally, a cue that works for me is to think of yourself doing the broad jump. Without a kettlebell in your hands, prep yourself like you're about to try to jump as far forward as you can. Then pretend to jump forward while keeping your feet on the ground. To me, that motion is what the swing should feel like, but of course with the bell in your hands. Another cue that Lauren uses a lot is to "keep your shoulders packed", meaning don't let them roll forward as you swing...keep your shoulder blades in your pockets

Tags
kettlebell swings