Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-16, 07:03 PM  
SandyT

One more question please
How does LiveFitRevolution fit in? Is it considered traditional? Thanks!
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 09:01 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Your starting weight will vary based on your individual strength, obviously, but to give you some idea... I'm naturally fairly strong, but not an advanced exerciser by any means. I started doing traditional style kettlebell training with a ten pound kettlebell and it was WAY too light. I then got a twenty pound bell, and it was great for me. I could deal with a 30 pound bell for some exercises fairly quickly, but that was too heavy for me to use right away for most exercises. I think Pavel Tsatsouline usually recommends 18 pounds to start for women so, depending on what kettlebell weights you have access to, something like 18-20 pounds is probably a good start. I tried a 15 pound kettlebell in the store, and that was too light for me, but if you are small and aren't able to lift very heavy at all, that might work for you to start. I think 10 pounds is too light to start traditional kettlebell training for almost any adult. You just can't get the form of the swing right without some weight behind it. I've been doing kettlebells for a few years, and am still just using a pair of 20s and a 30 - this includes for AOS and Lauren Brooks workouts. Sometimes I wish I had a heavier bell for heavy exercises like swings and deadlifts, but those bells have been treating me fairly well otherwise.
I was wondering what weight kettlebell to get so this is very useful! I have a 10 lb. and 20 lb. kettlebell and the 10 seems too light and the 20 is fine for most exercises. I did KCM's Slim Sculpting yesterday and the 20 was too heavy for all of the exercises she does, but when I switched to the 10 it seemed too light. I think she said she uses a 15 lb. kettlebell? I should look into getting something in between. If I get into something more weight focused I guess I'll have to get something heavier than 20.
Old 05-18-16, 11:58 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I haven't done kettlebells in a couple of years, but when I did, the only DVD I had at a reasonable price and at a reasonable pace was Angie Miller's Power Body: Kettlebell Bootcamp. I only have a 20 pound kettlebell, so this one was a pace that I could keep up with and actually could complete it. I think it's about 45 minutes and it's a total body workout. She can be a little chatty but the exercises fly by and I remember feeling really good from this one when I was done.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 12:39 PM  
SandyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I haven't done kettlebells in a couple of years, but when I did, the only DVD I had at a reasonable price and at a reasonable pace was Angie Miller's Power Body: Kettlebell Bootcamp. I only have a 20 pound kettlebell, so this one was a pace that I could keep up with and actually could complete it. I think it's about 45 minutes and it's a total body workout. She can be a little chatty but the exercises fly by and I remember feeling really good from this one when I was done.
Thanks. I actually got that one from a generous VFer. I'll take a look.
Old 05-18-16, 11:43 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

With KCM's Slim Sculpting (which I love, love, love!), I use my 8 kg (17.6 lb) kettlebells for most moves but also use 10 lb and 15 lb dumbbells for some moves where I felt it was safer more comfortable to heave 10 lbs (ab exercises and some overhead stuff) and for cases where my small hands found it awkward to hold the kettlebell, I switched to a 15 lb dumbbell. Mix it up and keep it safe To KCM's credit, she has a modifier using a dumbbell to help on this front.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-16, 04:28 AM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingjoe2001 View Post
One more question please
How does LiveFitRevolution fit in? Is it considered traditional? Thanks!
Yes, LiveFitRevolution is traditional KB workouts. I haven't done them but have checked out a few, and they look well-structured. If the format works for you, it's a very good choice.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-16, 10:01 AM  
SandyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
Yes, LiveFitRevolution is traditional KB workouts. I haven't done them but have checked out a few, and they look well-structured. If the format works for you, it's a very good choice.
Thanks! I thought it looked more "traditional" but since I'm new I wanted to confirm. I'll put it on my list

Tags
kettlebell workouts, traditional kb workouts