Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-16, 12:19 PM  
muddjeansgal

Barre classes. Try name brand or other?

I'm working out here in the Denver area for a few months and want to go to a few barre classes. I found several studios near me.
Would you try name brand like Pure Barre and Bar Method or one of the local studios? Local are definitely cheaper.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 12:33 PM  
cyana

Do the studios have new student promotions? In my area, many studios have various types of promotions for discounted and sometimes free classes for new students. That way you could sample the studios to see how you like their style, whether you click with their instructors, and whether the location will be convenient for you. You could also check out Groupon, etc., to see if you can snag any deals on classes.

Or, in the spirit of Vidiocy, try them all.

Whatever you decide...have a great time trying out some new classes!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 12:38 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have been going to a local generic studio and I love it. They have a nice variety of classes. There is one that uses light hand weights, one that uses a band, one with a core & stretch focus, one that is instructor's choice, and one that is flowing with a bit of a yoga fusion feel. They had an intro special of unlimited classes for a month for a really good price. I did that and now have a punch card.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 12:54 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

At the Bar Method you will probably get the best form pointers, so if you go chain, I'd go there before Pure Barre. But definitely check out the indies! There are some great independent studios out there! And they can be more creative/innovative because they don't have to conform to any franchising/brand policies.

Let us know what you decide!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 02:21 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Ballet Physique is a local barre studio that produced DVDs that got good reviews on VF. http://theballetphysique.com/

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 02:28 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddjeansgal View Post
I'm working out here in the Denver area for a few months and want to go to a few barre classes. I found several studios near me.
Would you try name brand like Pure Barre and Bar Method or one of the local studios? Local are definitely cheaper.
Pure barre originated in that area. I know two of the girls who are in the videos own the Boulder studio. I would imagine in that area you'd have some of the best instructors.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 02:48 PM  
Dabbadooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
At the Bar Method you will probably get the best form pointers, so if you go chain, I'd go there before Pure Barre. But definitely check out the indies! There are some great independent studios out there! And they can be more creative/innovative because they don't have to conform to any franchising/brand policies.

Let us know what you decide!
Agree with this. Barre Evolution has three locations in Charleston and was operational before barre was cool. They have tons of specials because they are not a chain. I am just a little too far away to attend, or it would be my hands-down choice over the chains.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 02:50 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

If you have lots of options, I would try at least a couple studios if time permits and decide from there. I think attention to form is more related to the attentiveness of the studio owner and the individual instructor than the name brand. IIRC there was a thread not long ago about a name brand studio having poor instruction and attention to form to the point that the OP was considering contacting the brand owner about it.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 07:06 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I think attention to form is more related to the attentiveness of the studio owner and the individual instructor than the name brand.
I have found this to be true to some extent, but in my experience, some brands are MUCH more form attentive than others. Bar Method really puts a huge emphasis on form. The bar method classes are always very form-focused, and the instructors are trained to watch everyone very carefully.

Pure Barre tends to be very robotic. I've had a handful of really good instructors (different studios, different owners) but have found they are generally not as good. They just don't seem to emphasize it in their training.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 11:15 AM  
laurajhawk

The yoga studio I go to recently added barre classes. The studio owner certified with Barre Above, and has also practiced with Booty Barre DVDs, but she really brings her own expertise to the classes and they're great. The teacher/studio owner is a yoga teacher AND personal trainer AND certified in NKT (neurokinetic therapy), and she's really good at coaching form and telling us where we should feel things. You can tell she's newer to barre than to yoga, but her knowledge of physiology & movement is applicable anyway. And she's a fun teacher.

This is Loveland Yoga & Core Fitness in Colorado, if anyone's interested. The classes use a barre, Bender ball (squishy ball), and light weights. But my main point is that independents can be really good, just depends on the teacher(s) and their attitude & expertise, so I'd say to always give them a try, since the name-brands are so expensive. In my case, the barre classes are included with my studio membership (which is already way cheaper than the name-brand barre studios), so the cost is effectively zero!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote