Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-16, 02:36 PM  
gladgirl

Not to confuse things...besides the hinge in hips
there also seems to be variation in the arms...arms go straight out...others
have slight bend in the elbow...even how far the arms move from the shoulders varies. Interesting.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 02:52 PM  
carres1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
One of the first k-bell DVDs I bought ages ago was Anthony DiLuglio's (sp) Kettlebell Clinic. He places the kettlbell behind the feet. He then almost squats to hike the kettlebell. I noticed I started having a lot of pain in my knees. I tried other instructors like Pavel T. and he does a hinge and not a squat. Lauren Brooks puts the kettlebell in front of the feet and hinges.

I also took a class with an RKC instructor and ther was no squatting for a swing.

The minute I did the non-squat type of hinge, my knees felt better.
Question re: kettlebells and knees/knee pain. I have bilateral partial replacements. Unfortunately, one didn't take and is loose...and quite honestly, both knees still hurt about as much as they did pre-surgery. Most exercise causes knee pain, and of course high impact is OUT. I was thinking kettlebells would be a good workout - high intensity, no impact. However, I find myself when I am doing swings and the hip thrust, also locking my knees, which is NOT knee friendly. Is that wrong? Is there a way to prevent that...maybe really thinking about it/concentrating on form?

Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 03:46 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carres1973 View Post
Question re: kettlebells and knees/knee pain. I have bilateral partial replacements. Unfortunately, one didn't take and is loose...and quite honestly, both knees still hurt about as much as they did pre-surgery. Most exercise causes knee pain, and of course high impact is OUT. I was thinking kettlebells would be a good workout - high intensity, no impact. However, I find myself when I am doing swings and the hip thrust, also locking my knees, which is NOT knee friendly. Is that wrong? Is there a way to prevent that...maybe really thinking about it/concentrating on form?
Carrie
I'm only an expert on my body.

When I do swings, I think more of tensing all the muscles in my abs, back and lower body, rather than locking my knees in a hard way.

I would highly recommend Kettlebell Boomer by Andrea DuCane. It is made for older adults that have issues, like hip replacements , etc.

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=4045

Andrea has several sections with testing, extensive instruction and modifications. Some of the background exercisers have hip replacements and knee issues.

The fact can remain that swings may not be right for your body.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 03:52 PM  
carres1973

Thanks! I do have that DVD...purchased it when I saw it recommended in a different thread, I think by you :-)!

Of course, I have DONE the workout...it may still even be in cellophane wrap! I may pull it out just to preview.

Thanks!
Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 05:06 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
The minute I did the non-squat type of hinge, my knees felt better.
You know Alta, I actually forgot this till you mentioned it, but that is true for me too - the emphasis on the hinge is much, much better for my knees.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 08:31 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
That is how it works for me in practice - the swing for me is all about hip hinge, and I do it with the intention of keeping most of the focus on the posterior chain. But if I'm going to clean from the floor or snatch, it is a more linear movement close to the body rather than an arc. So to facilitate that, you do need more knee flexion and yes, it will look a bit closer to a squat - without actually being a squat.

and of course, individual morphology, difference in form to protect from injury etc etc will factor into this.
Thank you so much! Your description helps a lot!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell form, kettlebell swings