Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-16, 10:22 PM  
GinaXOXO

Maybe what would help is for Essentric users to help you weed out the ones we like less.

I have CS streaming. I like Sahra better because she seems more organized. There are times Miranda annoys me so much that I want to turn it off. There is a psoas, IT, and hip workout by Miranda that feels really good afterwards.

There is also a running unlock your body that is really good. That one is by Sahra. I do that over my lunch hour for 15 minutes a few days a week. I want to start running but I am going to wait until after the rotation.

The first workout was the new beginner toning Barre by Sahre. And, I loved it. But, there have been some really horrible workouts in the rotation. I'm tempted to just skip the workouts by Miranda. I feel better afterwards but it is excruciatingly annoying.

I am going to do it for the 30 days and decide if I want to keep streaming, buy a favorite DVD, or move on. For now, I am going to look at each day and compare the beginner and regular workouts. If one is Sahra and the other is Miranda I am using Sahra's regardless of of the level.

My point is that there are some really good ones and they have helped me so much. I was having a lot of pain in my back because of my hips. There were nights that I woke up because of back pain. I am seeing a chiropractor and doing these stretches.

The beginner toning series is good. I feel some muscle work and also feel nicely stretched and I can sleep.

I am also doing the 6 week rotation with Jessica Smith and loved her stretch workout.

And, lastly, a lot of what Essentrics does reminds me of TTAPP that I did years ago. There are similarities if my memory serves right. Maybe you would like that better.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 10:55 PM  
Sara1000

Another survivor of a narcissitic ex-husband. Fortunately married to an angel now

I bought CS Season 10 but just when I got it I had a hiking injury (slid down an incline) that has kept me from doing just about any lower body work. So haven't really tried it yet. For some reason I have been skeptical but finally decided to try it, then got sidelined. Personally I love traditional stretching, like Cathe. Still once I'm better I will give CS a try.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 01:20 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
I do like Pilates for flexibility, because I feel like I can get a lot done all at once (why not multitask?). All the leg extensions and large ranges of motion make it so I feel a lot of stretch in my legs especially... but I think I'm tight, perhaps more than average, always have been. I can't even successfully sit up straight with both legs straight out in front of me (unless I'm sitting on a book, that was Miranda's suggestion and it does work). I figure I can't be the only one who's that inflexible, but, then again, I often find that certain "thigh oriented" exercises such as the frog are just as much of a core challenge (if not more, for me). Right now I'm a Pilates wimp I guess! More things to work on. Thanks for that suggestion, my library has it so I've requested it. Whether I like a Pilates dvd usually comes down to presentation and instructor - I'm not a huge fan of voiceover, they usually come across as sleepy and remind me of high school when I had my Pilates/yoga PE class first thing in the morning.
I do like Pilates for flexibility too and I'm a big fan of CS, so I don't mind multitask at all! But, it depends of the workout and what I want to accomplish given day. There are some Pilates workouts that are very hardcore (for me) and let me pretty sore -Kristin McGee Weight Loss Pilates came to mind immediately- and some others, so I don't pick those on my flexibility (feel relaxed) days, there are some Episodes of CS that are very intense too. You made me smile with the voice-over comment! lol I don't mind it, but I guess it depends of the workout and the voice I love Element Pilates workouts and the ones I've tried were great! And the voices were relaxing and agreeable. So glad you could find it in your library! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do, and I really like Kristin as instructor.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 06:13 AM  
willowey124

The stretch segment on Kelly Coffey-Meyer's 30 MTF Bootcamp is a little gem and I use it often for a great 20 min stretch.
willowey124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 07:42 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowey124 View Post
The stretch segment on Kelly Coffey-Meyer's 30 MTF Bootcamp is a little gem and I use it often for a great 20 min stretch.
Thanks for the reminder of this stretch segment! I'd forgotten about it.

The stretch segment on Michelle Dozois' Ultimate Workout DVD is also excellent and runs under 15 minutes.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 08:21 AM  
buffmama

Yoga with Adriene's yoga camp on youtube. Slow, stretchy, daily for 30 days, short, felt great. The key (like all these things) is doing it on a regular basis.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 09:46 AM  
antbuko

I also like pilates for flexibility, and yoga. You can pick a short yoga set on youtube and just do it daily. But, I also love Miranda.
Old 02-28-16, 09:48 AM  
sherry7899

I have not done them for a long time, but I really liked Madeleine Lewis' AM/PM stretch dvd. I also like Tamilee's stretch dvd. The half hour stretch is pretty thorough, and I use the 10 minute stretches as add ons.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 09:49 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've tried a few of the stretchy yoga workouts from Psychetruth and like them.

https://m.youtube.com/user/psychetruth
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 10:35 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I second the recommendation for Karen Voight's Full Body Stretch. Karen is such a pro, cues very well, and the background (outside in Montana) is beautiful.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, miranda esmonde-white, tangoflex