Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-16, 03:22 PM  
DirtDiva

I'm conflicted on the age relationship with injury, similar to the chicken versus egg discussion.

Last year (February 2015) I was told to expand my training and give some things a break (gentle advice from friends). I've trained for two sports, mountain biking (including fatbiking in the snow) and cross country skiing. I've lifted weights, moderate to heavy since I was in my late teens and have tailored that to my sports.

Example, dense muscle protects me when I crash. I work my glutes and core with kettlebells for skiing. I've had knee, hip, back, shoulder, hand and foot injuries on the bike, without being graphic, some serious. They all healed, although I do have trigger finger on my pinky finger. Those crashes happened through-out my 20 years riding, however the worst ones happened in my mid to late 40's and my last one was when I was 54 (I'm 56).

Back to trying out gentler ways to work-out. I began mat work, stability ball roll ins, etc., and I did something. I don't know what I did, but it put me out so badly I couldn't walk. This put me into a tailspin because I couldn't workout at all, not to mention walk to the mailbox, never thought I could be so weak, or gain weight that fast. Now, nearly one year later I'm finally back to lifting, the way I want to lift...heading back to a familiar path.

Can we train a certain way for years, then veer off that path and the weakest link surfaces to do us in?

This last injury has forced me to rehab in a way I've never done, which is Pilates on a reformer. I had to find a way to work my legs laying down. But still, I'm really nervous about venturing back to anything that isn't traditional lifting indoors (except for Pilates).

I dislike age (defining) boxes, I'm nearly past all those age boxes anyway. Do we become weaker when we are told that age means you must slow down, or is it a mix of stress (which was my world when this injury happened). Can the mind/body connection protect us, like the joy-joy I feel when I'm in my familiar training mode.

I agree completely that as we age we are going to have to adapt, but I refuse the general consensus that we can't continue what we love to do. Through my experiences, the body leans towards healing if given the chance to do so.

This is a really good thread.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 03:48 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Don't we all have aches and pains as we age? I am 51 and have had some back/hip issues and other minor aches and pains. I still exercise at an advanced level as I did in my 30's. I just move a little slower. I would like to meet one person in their 50's and up, that has no minor aches, pains or health issues. I doubt that person exists. As others have said, do what you like to do and makes you feel good. If my doc said do only yoga, I wouldn't.
I'll be 59 in Sept. I wake up with a certain amount of pain every morning due to my back surgeries.

But, I haven't slowed down yet. In some ways, I'm at an even more advanced level, and I'm truly grateful for being able to move every day!
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 04:16 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
There are several things I don't do because I don't want to be injured. It isn't because I can't do them, but I don't see benefit in doing things that will sideline me. One example is box jumps. I've missed a box jump before. That broken wrist took a few years to get over. I also will not run a marathon. While I could do one, there is no appeal to me in doing something that will cause me to be hurt or injured, preventing me from doing the things I love to do.

BTW, Happy 60th a bit early! 1956 was a good year, was it not?
Well said, Jeanne Marie! Another 1956'er here: August for me. Yes, a very good year! As for me, I still do step sometimes; in other cardio, I sprinkle in high impact when I feel like it & avoid it when I don't. I've never lifted heavy, but continue with weight routines a few times a week (12# max). Within the past year, I have added more flexibility/rehab/stretching to my workout week, not to fix a particular problem, just because it feels "right" for me right now.

DH (62 in March) & I have what we call the "prime directive": We do whatever workout we like, with the caveat that we don't do anything that might keep us from continuing to move & be active.

I read somewhere (VF?) that we are each of us a scientific sample size of n=1. So many variables impinge on us & our reactions to these are unique, from nutrition and exercise down to, I dunno...shampoo! Life is a journey of trying to figure out what works for you. And what works for you changes over time. (Menopause taught me that!)

Great thread!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 07:16 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Thank you everyone for sharing your own personal experiences and thoughts on this topic! I'm definitely synthesizing all the ideas here. I'm going to make notes as to how I think my physical condition is now (outlining all my aches and creaks too); keep good notes of my workouts and any changes I make; and see how it all turns out! Ultimately my end goals are to enjoy hiking and kayaking and to stay functionally strong and independent as long as possible. A fresh look at how I get there - what "tools" I use -- is worthwhile.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 08:07 PM  
lselbach
VF Supporter

i think it's important to make small modifications over time, so that we don't have to abruptly stop doing something we enjoy.

I'll be 55 in a couple months, and my favorite form of cardio has always been step aerobics. I've had a lot of lower back and ankle pain when I do it now, however. Two days ago, I finally pushed my ego to the side, and dropped my step height to four inches. Bingo! Enjoyable pain-free workout.
Old 02-16-16, 08:43 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselbach View Post
Two days ago, I finally pushed my ego to the side, and dropped my step height to four inches. Bingo! Enjoyable pain-free workout.
LOL, I can relate. I just lowered mine too. I use to use 2 sets of risers but my Achilles was screaming for a good couple years. Now I use 6 inches and I am pain free. Those fast feet shuffles are much more enjoyable, that's for sure. Should have put my ego aside a few years ago too. I recently decided to raise it again and ouch! No more.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 09:40 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I had to totally give up on risers, but I can still enjoy step using the bench only. What ever works!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 05:35 AM  
Rosemarie

This topic is quite confronting!

I've been toying with the idea of buying the DeltaFit (speed shred) and/or the meta shred program (being discussed elsewhere on this forum). But now I'm doubting if thats such a good idea.

I'm 55 and quite fit. Run, cycle, do hot yoga 7x pw, sporatic weight training. What do you think? Is it overambitious? Would you consider doing these programs at this age?
Rosemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 06:25 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarie View Post
This topic is quite confronting!

I've been toying with the idea of buying the DeltaFit (speed shred) and/or the meta shred program (being discussed elsewhere on this forum). But now I'm doubting if thats such a good idea.

I'm 55 and quite fit. Run, cycle, do hot yoga 7x pw, sporatic weight training. What do you think? Is it overambitious? Would you consider doing these programs at this age?
Again, I think it's completely up to the individual. I do at least as much as you and I'm almost 60. Others in our age group have dialed it back. If you are injury free, feel good and have the time, keep on doing what you're doing.

I had a discussion just yesterday (prompted on my part by this thread) with a friend my age who does boot camp, strength training and running, just like I do. Our consensus was... be smart, but don't let your age define you. Don't let what others say about your age affect your decision about what you do. And most of all, use it or lose it. I see so many people in our age group who are immobile already... overweight and unhappy and unable to get around. I'm trying my best to maintain strength, flexibility and mobility as I age!
Old 02-17-16, 07:21 AM  
mandie123

I also turned 60 this year,and my workouts consist of mostly walking for cardio,and alot of barre,general toning workouts.I have several health issues that involve my joints,so I do have to be careful with some movements.I've been adding CS to my daily routine almost every day,hope I can keep it up as it seems to really make a difference. I have recently been going thru all my workouts,and tossing ones that requires me to constantly modify!

Tags
aging, balance training, ernestine shepherd, injuries, injury prevention, limitations, over 50, posture, senior exercise, senior strength training