Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-16, 06:54 PM  
momofcha

What an intriguing thread. I have been so achy in my hips & back lately that I have been looking at many CS workouts because as I age becoming immobile is one of my greatest fears - more so now than "looking good." I want both, but being able to move outweighs the other.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 07:30 PM  
Tanja

I was forty five as I had my first bout with PF - right foot. It took a whole year to heal, no high impact moves such as step aerobics, plyometrics, and even the trampoline would cause a flare up.

At 46 I worked hard to make it to my advanced level and was back to my normal fitness level. Then, at age 47, my left heel caught PF and now, eight month later, it's almost healed but not all the way.

The bottoms of my feet never had much fatty padding but now, when I loose a few pounds, I seem to loose my fatty heel pads at an accelerated pace and do not get the cushion back even if I gain a few pounds.

At age 48, I will transition to more stretching and low impact moves to accommodate my changing feet. If someone would have told me ten years ago that I would be willingly give up my high impact moves to accommodate my feet, I would have said they are crazy. But my body's well being is more important than jumping high.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 07:32 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Looking for other VFers’ input - This morning I had a physical that included some interesting comments from my GP doctor. I will be 60 in JulyBut time off to recuperate from injuries means that in my 40s and beyond, my “workouts" have focused on losing weight, and regaining strength. ... I told her that now I like to do metabolic workouts, some “heavy” strength training, and I like Olympic style lifting - it improves my kayaking. I “do yoga” everyday, but usually only seated or lying down poses.

... maintaining the quality of movement you still have now. You can’t just do ‘what you like to do’. And with each decade going forward, it will take more and more work to keep your body operating as it is now.” An example she gave was yoga - that instead of doing just seated/prone poses because I “like” them and “don’t like” sun salutations, she recommends more standing poses, doing downward dog everyday, etc - so that I stretch and strengthen all areas of my body.

In my hour with her there was so much to cover and we didn’t spend any more time on that topic. So I thought I’d ask here! Has anyone changed how you work out and/or “added” types of exercise in order to maintain your quality of movement as you age? If so, what changes did you make?

My goal is that I don’t want to be 80 with some irreparable injury or other physical challenge, and then hear: Oh, you should have been doing “X” all along. TIA !!

-Anita
What I have always, always liked to do, since a knee injury at age 26
(my first; and long before any of my foot problems) was low impact, low intensity aerobics - yeah, included of moderate intensity floorwork of the old-school.

But that would not cut it anymore, due to circulatory issues ...

The doctor did not advise any one thing. Nor did anybody else. However, I am considered well managed as a (geriatric even at my age of 61) diabetic patient.

I suck it up and do low impact, high intensity (within real pain thresholds; and I am always experiencing pain unless I rest lengthily), and honestly cannot keep it up every single day ... but most days

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 08:17 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Well, I'm in my 40's, have never been as hardcore active as you, and still dealt with perpetual rebounding from injuries. And, I'll admit, my focus is currently on losing weight and regaining strength.

However, a few years ago (in my late 30's!) I was beginning to notice those aches and creaks in my body while getting in and out of my sporty car, and wondered if it meant I was too old for it. Then, unrelated to that, I picked up Erich Schiffmann's Backyard Beginner again after not having done it in years, and after a couple sessions couldn't believe I ever had a thought to get rid of my car. I realize I was less than 2/3 your age when I had that experience. And now, I am speaking from the naivete of a 42-year-old. However, I am convinced that that workout is the fountain of youth that Ponce de Leon was looking for.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 04:46 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Hey Alta! Thanks for the shout out!

While it's true that I've remained injury free, I still don't discount always, always working to avoid injury. I'll also be 60 this year (November for me). I think you should do what feels right for YOU. Only you know what that is. It always bothers me though, when someone tells another person what those those limits should or should not be, or what direction they should take. It's so individual, age aside.

There are several things I don't do because I don't want to be injured. It isn't because I can't do them, but I don't see benefit in doing things that will sideline me. One example is box jumps. I've missed a box jump before. That broken wrist took a few years to get over. I also will not run a marathon. While I could do one, there is no appeal to me in doing something that will cause me to be hurt or injured, preventing me from doing the things I love to do.

BTW, Happy 60th a bit early! 1956 was a good year, was it not?
Old 02-16-16, 07:50 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I will be 59 next month, and my mid-50's-- in addition to going through menopause (the single most horrible physical thing I've ever endured--and that includes a debilitating back injury from hatha yoga that took several years to rehab, and I still have to baby my lumbar)--required me to change how I exercise.

It took several years to admit it to myself, but I can't do most strength training; I can't do anything with impact (but I've had this problem 25 years); I can't do anything that moves too fast.

I recently did a massive purge of everything I new would bring on some sort of injury. I didn't count, but I think I gave away close to 90 dvds.

As Vintage points out--spinal health/posture and balance are absolute necessities.

The workouts I do now, almost exclusively, are rehabilitative and restorative in nature. They're gentler, and I have found renewed energy and physical well-being, now that I'm not trying to exercise the way I could 30 years ago.

Of course, everyone is different. My sister is 3 years older than I am and does power yoga 3-4 times a week and does 3-7 mile hikes over rough terrain at least twice a week. She pushes herself far harder than I can.
I could have written much of your post! I will be 60 this year and I have a lot of joint related issues which have led to multiple surgeries, one fusion and possibly an ankle fusion down the road. My body just can't handle what it used to be able to do. I've gotten rid of most of my traditional strength and cardio DVDs, but I still have another round of purging to do.

Barre workouts (primarily), walking - but not a lot, and yoga/stretching make up the main stay of my workouts. I need to use my recumbent bike more for cardio because it is easier on my ankle. Bar Method seems to especially suit my body these days. I find the older I get, the more stretching I need.

I have a friend who is a long time runner - she's a few years younger than me - and she's at the point where her knees are both shot. Another friend, a bit older than me, is having a hip replacement in a week because her hip joint is literally dead. She has been active - hiking, 5Ks, etc. all her life. So yes, everyone is different, but the chances of having physical problems sure seem to increase as you get older.

Maintenance, some strength gains, well being, and range of motion are my fitness goals these days.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 11:54 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Barre suits me well too, although I have to be careful with my knees because I have patellofemoral syndrome in one. I think it's about balance and respecting your limits. I have had a few injuries over the years from my activities too - PF, ankle fracture. But on the other hand, I have a dear friend who's knees are shot and she is extremely over weight and very sedentary.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 01:03 PM  
marki64

Don't we all have aches and pains as we age? I am 51 and have had some back/hip issues and other minor aches and pains. I still exercise at an advanced level as I did in my 30's. I just move a little slower. I would like to meet one person in their 50's and up, that has no minor aches, pains or health issues. I doubt that person exists. As others have said, do what you like to do and makes you feel good. If my doc said do only yoga, I wouldn't.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 01:42 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Don't we all have aches and pains as we age? I am 51 and have had some back/hip issues and other minor aches and pains. I still exercise at an advanced level as I did in my 30's. I just move a little slower. I would like to meet one person in their 50's and up, that has no minor aches, pains or health issues. I doubt that person exists. As others have said, do what you like to do and makes you feel good. If my doc said do only yoga, I wouldn't.
If my doc said not to do weight training with barbells and tough pilates workouts, which were the only things not to do (actually told me from my doctor) ... if I actually had the baseline strength to do them—well, less-than-tough intensity pilates is never off-the-table (but I don't have the strength to do either of the kinds of exercise not to do - so I don't try and do them) ... I would do them ...

Any consequences of doing so? Well, this doc has much tougher-to-manage patients than I ... that is the nature of freedom-of-choice ... and the kind of American medical care we have

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 03:07 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I guess my question would be - forget the doctor for a second - do YOU see a need to change your routine? Are you questioning your activities only because the doctor told you to slow down? If you said yes, then I would continue to do what you are doing until you feel the need to change.

Lew Hollander completely the Kona Ironman at 82. Yeah not every 82 year old can do something like that (I couldn't at 51!), but I'm sure his doctor said the same thing - that he needs to slow down.

If, on the other hand, you really think it's a good idea to change your routine, then do it. You know your body better than anyone.
I agree with this. I'll be 59 next year, and I don't see the need to "cut back" but I pay attention for example to my shoulders - that had some issues - more. I totally hate when people ask me "and do you still run" as if there should be a cure for this by now.
Do what you feel like doing and what give you pleasure and don't be obligated by a number.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, balance training, ernestine shepherd, injuries, injury prevention, limitations, over 50, posture, senior exercise, senior strength training