Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-14, 11:08 AM  
RubyBlue

Lower body fat loss but no squats or lunges?

A couple of caveats:
  • I know diet is important in fat loss; and
  • I can't do squats or lunges due to knee and back issues; deadlifts are not great either.

I don't need to lose weight but my bottom half is becoming much saggier. Age has something to do with it, I know.

I'd really like to know what you do for this: at the moment I am doing heavy glute raises/hip thrusts and some barre to tackle lower body. I've been incorporating these into the paper workout 'Strong Curves' (which I love) but the squats and lunges included in this are bothering my knee; deadlifts are bothering my back.

(I do three/four days of cardio too, mainly Leslie and outdoor walking).

I love heavy weights but they don't much love me! The problem is that I don't find floor work to be very effective (for me)although I love it.

In summary: I would like to lose fat from my lower half and firm up my glutes but I can't do high impact cardio or heavy weight work for lower body.

Any ideas? Is change in this area possible, given my limitations? Thanks in advance.
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 11:24 AM  
momofcha

Tracy Anderson meta or continuity? It's mostly all fours work and targets the lower body

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 11:27 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I think you might get lots of suggestions and I may not be the best to advise because I don't have knee problems, but I have a few thoughts -- could you do spinning? People always mention that for lower body work that's low impact. I think people will also suggest kickboxing, and on that note, you should give this Jessica Smith workout a try, since it was made with you in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nesp...UBe5TD10jIgxDg

It's not all that long, but you could do it twice through. If I were you I'd look through all of her "thigh slimming" workouts to see if there are others you might like. Good luck!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 11:37 AM  
upperwside

Hip thrusts (weighted) and hip bridges.. every variation will lift and build muscle in the bum. Also band work or ankle weights with floor exercises will really do the trick. You have the glute book..lots of ideas in there. Diet and low impact cardio will play a big part.. but you know that already. Do you have a rebounder?
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 11:39 AM  
Tinks

I don't know if you stream, but on youtube, Fitness Blender has a workout called No Squat Workout for Butt and Thighs - Leg Workout without Squats or Lunges. Also, Jessica Smith has workouts that are lunge/squat free as well. Here are a few:
1. Leg Slimming Routine
2. 20-Minute Build a Better Booty With a Band
3. 12-Minute Brazilian Butt Lift
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 11:39 AM  
DEEDEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
Hip thrusts (weighted) and hip bridges.. every variation will lift and build muscle in the bum. Also band work or ankle weights with floor exercises will really do the trick ..
I agree 100%. Hip bridges did wonders for my butt when I noticed that for the first time in my life my butt was getting flat. Bridges helped build strength in the hips and give a nice shape back to my butt. But be sure to use really good form when don't one leg at a time as this can cause knee strain if you aren't careful.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 11:51 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Well, you can't spot reduce fat, and the best "bottom lifting" results I've ever seen came from muscle-building workouts like kettlebells or Strong Curves.

If your knees are bothering you, maybe add a recovery day or two, so you can get the most out of the SC workouts? I know I can't work out every day anymore without killing my joints.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 11:59 AM  
RubyBlue

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, a lot of which are new to me.

Sue B. , I think sadly I've gone beyond a recovery day or two; my left knee is a major problem now and I just need to stop lunges and squats, although I don't want to. I have pain even with no weight.

Spinning is out for now (bike is in the garage (no space) and I don't have access to a gym) but I'll certainly look at floorwork and other options and keep doing bridges/hip thrusts. I've only ever done 6 weeks of TA so that might be worth considering, with different cardio.

It's so frustrating- I am very slim up top, but the 'rear end' is going in a different direction! Pity we can't spot-reduce.
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-14, 12:06 PM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDEE View Post
I agree 100%. Hip bridges did wonders for my butt when I noticed that for the first time in my life my butt was getting flat. Bridges helped build strength in the hips and give a nice shape back to my butt. But be sure to use really good form when don't one leg at a time as this can cause knee strain if you aren't careful.
OMG Deedee! I adore your avatar!
Old 10-30-14, 12:28 PM  
mle777

The Ballet Beautiful workouts might work for you:

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Sear...llet+beautiful

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bands lower body, glutes, lower body, lunge-free, squat-free, strong curves