Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-14, 04:50 PM  
Sara1000

Angry Having to back off on intensity (at least for now)

I just got through reading the thread about the importance of muscle mass - I am always working on this - but lately I keep pushing myself and then end up with a strain or sore knee etc.

I'll back way off on size of weights (for upper) and amount of impact and try to work back up gradually but I keep ending up sore somewhere and not in a good way.

Can it be true that age catches up with us even if we've always exercised? I just turned 70
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 06:54 PM  
bee1forfitness

No I don't think so Ernestine Shepherd is a good example of that, she 77 and had great muscle definition and strength. She says she works out most days plus she also teaches fitness classes, and trains for competitions. Jack LaLane is another good example worked out and had great muscle strength and definition almost till the very end and he was 94. As Tony Horton says "do what you can and forget the rest". Do workouts that challenge you, but don't cause you pain or may injury you...but don't give up because of age
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 07:16 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

She sure is inspirational but truthfully we can't all be Ernestine Shepherd.
I think quite often our joints catch up and we do need to realize our limitations. Not to say we can't continue to make huge strides; we might just need to approach fitness in different ways.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 07:25 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Can it be true that age catches up with us even if we've always exercised? I just turned 70
NROL for Life seems to suggest this. I've been a bag full of injuries this year myself. Sorry to hear you are going through something similar, but the best thing (you already know it) is to keep trying as much as you can, as wisely as you know how.
Old 03-20-14, 08:17 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
She sure is inspirational but truthfully we can't all be Ernestine Shepherd.
I think quite often our joints catch up and we do need to realize our limitations. Not to say we can't continue to make huge strides; we might just need to approach fitness in different ways.
I agree.

While I find her amazing and inspirational, I'm not at all convinced that the average woman -- or even a woman who has been active and fit throughout her life -- should feel that she should necessarily be able to (or even want to) achieve the same results as Ernestine.

I think recognizing our limitations may be more important to our health and overall well-being than never slowing down a bit when our bodies demand it.

Many of us don't want to face the fact that as we get older, we can't always do the same things at the same pace we did when we were younger, but in reality, there's no shame in that.
Old 03-20-14, 09:02 PM  
Sara1000

Thanks everyone. You have written wise words.

Jack LaLane has always been my inspiration but I am not Jack - I will be more cautious as my sore spots heal and I build back up - maybe heavy weights to failure is not going to work for me right now or maybe not ever again - maybe I will stick to more endurance type workouts for upper body - I have faced that I'm never going to have great muscle definition but my general body shape is outstanding for my age and I am pretty strong.

I'm going to stick to Low Impact Hiit and other Cathe low impact workouts, or do her higher ones but modify like crazy. And walking, including as many steep hills as I can find - there are a couple a block or two from my house and a spectacular one a few miles away at a free park. And in between lots of Leslie walks.

I am not giving up, just shifting my approach.

Other thoughts are welcome!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 09:19 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I'm going to stick to Low Impact Hiit and other Cathe low impact workouts, or do her higher ones but modify like crazy. And walking, including as many steep hills as I can find - there are a couple a block or two from my house and a spectacular one a few miles away at a free park. And in between lots of Leslie walks.
Wow - imagine how fantastically fit humanity could be if we could all do low impact HIIT and Cathe at 70yo!
Okay now you're officially *my* inspiration!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 09:22 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky star View Post
wow - imagine how fantastically fit humanity could be if we could all do low impact hiit and cathe at 70yo!
Okay now you're officially *my* inspiration! :d
+2000
Old 03-20-14, 09:39 PM  
dnna

I am 64 in June and I am never going to get out of the intermediate range. I tried JMBR three times and I still cannot do the last two levels.
I started with Firm Vol 1 the year it came out and was a firm forever believer. before that I ran and did workouts to records and the Y.
I have never NOT worked out. and hard, and I am not ever going to make it ro Jack or Ernestine level.
I have had some hard hard hits in my health and the days of doing step on the 8 or 10 inch box are over.
You know the fit primes.kickbutts? I love those, and love the ones anna leads herself. I try to do AM stretch with Madeline Lewis, then a CS episode. then I do whatever workout of the day is. the stretching helps me get started. I have just completed 5 weeks of the new 21 day fix system and that was not overtaxing,but I modified some exercises.
there are those that think age will not affect them, and I was one of those people. but having some really bad health problems opened my eyes to how lucky I have been all those Firm Believer years.
good luck to you, keep pushing play but don't beat yourself up and get hurt.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 05:13 AM  
PhyllisG

The idea is to be fit not injured. More flexibility training is also a good thing to add on as you get older.
Agree we are not all Ernestine.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, injuries, injury prevention, intense workouts, limitations, longevity