Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-14, 08:48 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I gave up heavy weights a couple years ago due to injuries and health issues. I do a lot of Classical Stretch and Ellen. I like to supplement with Suzanne Bowen or other barre workouts.

Being bored recently I decided to purchase DDP Yoga. I really like it and feel like I am getting some good upper body definition from it. It has been a nice diversion for me. I like all the planks and can't wait to see how the program progresses as I work through the dvds.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 09:39 AM  
PhyllisG

I gave up heavy workouts some years ago and started walking with Leslie and doing TA and Ellen. Then I got LMP and really liked it. Recently I bought Cathe's Pyramids and her STS Total Body. STS TB almost wiped me out. Pyramids was a treat. Then today I walked 2 miles with Leslie and did Ballet Beautiful Inner and Outer Thighs. Why did I ever bother with weights again?!! BB fried my legs and they felt like jelly walking up the stairs afterwards.
I also get an awesome workout with UY and WY.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 09:59 AM  
rockette
VF Supporter

You guys have given me a lot to think about. Thanks for everybody's contributions to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
Barre3 is a bit of a leap from Lotte Berk. The barre style has evolved a lot since the Berk days and, while I am not a fan myself, Barre3 really emphasizes modifications and blends yoga and Pilates with barre-style work. I have been using Suzanne Bowen's site and loving it while nursing some injuries from a bad fall. You may be surprised by the different styles out there now (Pure Barre, Bar Method, P57, Suzanne Bowen/Barre Amped, Barre3, Ballet Physique among many others). You can get access to a couple of Suzanne's workouts by clicking the try it free button at suzannebowenfitness.com. I have hypermobile joints which make me injury-prone, but I have always been safe with Suzanne, Pure Barre and Bar Method.

If you want some other unconventional techniques, try My Mad Methods. There are sandbag and bodyweight workouts there in addition to kettlebell stuff. You can order DVDs or stream online (their customer service is top notch).

If you want to sample different instructors, fitnessclass.com is $10/month and allows you to stream loads of teachers and you can search by equipment used/ time/ level of difficulty. There are some TRX workouts on there as well.

For DVDs, you can try Ilaria's Atletica 4 (bodyweight) or her Abs & Pushups plus.
I have the first set of Bar Methods and the first set of Ballet Body. My knees are really sensitive to plies, so I can't really do those. I did look at Suzanne's free barre workout she released for Christmas, but again, those plies. I just don't feel like it works with my feet flat on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
My story resembles the others: have been lifting since the 1970s; injuries; overtaxed CNS (central nervous system) - I needed a break. I've always played around with bodyweight exercises and decided to give it a serious try. Like Beatchica said, I now feel "more energized, aligned, and good". Here's what I've been using the past several months:
  • basic hatha yoga classes (Level 1 on Yogoglo, 30 min)
  • "Body By You" book by Mark Lauren (geared towards women)
  • Mark Lauren's other book, I think it's called "You Are You Own Gym"
  • Tracy Anderson's 30-Day Method book. (I'm a believer in her exercises that work all those inner, stabilizing muscles. In fact, a few weeks of her exercises convinced me of the power of bodyweight moves.)
  • Bret Contreras' "Strong Curves" book
  • Bret Contreras' original "paper" on glute work. It must be close to 100 pages. It's mainly the scientific rationale behind glute work but he includes dozens of exercises - many many more than in his "Strong Curves" book
  • I've recently received some Fitness is Function DVDs; I have not seriously tried them out yet. (bodyweight, sandbag, kb)
  • Oh! my favorite !!! "Women's Health Book of 15 Minute Workouts" - I do a circuit (without dumbbells) almost every morning, as kind of a "wake me up and get going" activity.
  • TRX - someone here posted a code for a 50% discount and I got this for Christmas. I love it !!!
  • Horizontal Conditioning - also a favorite !!! I caved reading the threads here. My core has always been my weakest link; it's now improving. I'm finally strong enough to move on from "Getting Started", the 1st DVD in the series. I usually only do 1 round; tacked on with a Women's Health circuit.

Also, all my workouts are generally in the 30 minute range. I no longer work out for an hour+. I do not follow a rotation. I just decide what I feel I need and pick something from the above list.
Hatha Yoga, is that power yoga? I have Getting Stronger from HC, tried it once, kind of boring, but the biggest issue is that some of those moves don't work for my knees. The Fitness is Function dvds look cool. I've considered purchasing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I gave up heavy weights a couple years ago due to injuries and health issues. I do a lot of Classical Stretch and Ellen. I like to supplement with Suzanne Bowen or other barre workouts.

Being bored recently I decided to purchase DDP Yoga. I really like it and feel like I am getting some good upper body definition from it. It has been a nice diversion for me. I like all the planks and can't wait to see how the program progresses as I work through the dvds.

Jackie
What is DDP? Maybe I should revisit yoga. I've only tried Kathy Smith and a couple of others, years ago. I wasn't impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I gave up heavy workouts some years ago and started walking with Leslie and doing TA and Ellen. Then I got LMP and really liked it. Recently I bought Cathe's Pyramids and her STS Total Body. STS TB almost wiped me out. Pyramids was a treat. Then today I walked 2 miles with Leslie and did Ballet Beautiful Inner and Outer Thighs. Why did I ever bother with weights again?!! BB fried my legs and they felt like jelly walking up the stairs afterwards.
I also get an awesome workout with UY and WY.
What is LMP and WY?
Old 01-18-14, 10:30 AM  
BalleRina

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
I'm sort of mentally tired of the heavy kbells, I must say only for a while. I do more yoga now (UY), pilates and TA. Interestingly I actually like a lot TA's Perfect Design 1 2 3 something. I may return also to some old favorite iballets. Those were really fantastic. Favorite warm ups are still the Ruthless DVDs and for cardio the Tapout 2s. In a few months I will be back to heavy bells, that's the real love.
I was just thinking about iballets yesterday! Grace's outer thigh work was brutal and I think that's something that's slightly lacking from my current rotation.

I'm doing Ballet Body Periodization and Leah does use light weights typical of other barre programs but a lot of her upper body work (and all lower body work) is body weight only. I've gotten GREAT results! Even my biceps look better than they ever have and Leah rarely works the biceps intentionally/in isolation.

BalleRina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 10:44 AM  
Zenara25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette View Post
What is LMP and WY?
LMP is 'Les Mills Pump' by Beach Body. Uses high reps/low weights with a barbell mostly (but you can sub dumbbells). It's a fun program with great music and energy. Don't know what WY is though.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 10:47 AM  
starbelly

Quote:
I have the first set of Bar Methods and the first set of Ballet Body. My knees are really sensitive to plies, so I can't really do those. I did look at Suzanne's free barre workout she released for Christmas, but again, those plies. I just don't feel like it works with my feet flat on the floor.
Do you have trouble with all kinds of knee bending or only second position (feet wide apart) plies? Could you do diamond leg (feet together but turned out) plies? My body craves second position plie work so I am glad to see it featured, but I know that many people dislike it. Most barre workouts have some but you could always do a substitution if it is a short section. Does releve also cause you pain?

Have you ever tried Balletone? I love Sole Synthesis, a nice blend of center floor work and yoga. Kari Anderson has some similar DVDs, but I find Balletone more challenging. There is also Michelle Dozois's Bodyfit 360. It's gotten good reviews but I haven't been able to do it yet because of my elbow injury.

Essentrics is wonderful for range of motion and I use it on my light days. The Strength and Stretch video has 4 segments of 25min so they make great add-ons.

Hatha is kind of a catchall term for yoga, but isn't typically associated with power yoga. If you are open to streaming, My Yoga Online typically offers a free 2 week trial and has loads of styles and instructors. Some of the content is original for the site and some comes from videos (Eion Finn, Janet Stone, Shiva Rea). They recently merged with Gaiam so soon MYO members will have full access to both sites. There are also Pilates and dance workouts on there. Most of the Exhale Core Fusion DVDs are free to stream from MYO. You can sample a wide variety of styles on there and I would be happy to recommend some teachers if you sign up.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 10:48 AM  
rockette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalleRina View Post

I'm doing Ballet Body Periodization and Leah does use light weights typical of other barre programs but a lot of her upper body work (and all lower body work) is body weight only. I've gotten GREAT results! Even my biceps look better than they ever have and Leah rarely works the biceps intentionally/in isolation.
Ooh, awesome. I need to get back to doing her upper body dvd. It's so hard for me though, in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
LMP is 'Les Mills Pump' by Beach Body. Uses high reps/low weights with a barbell mostly (but you can sub dumbbells). It's a fun program with great music and energy. Don't know what WY is though.
Thank you!
Old 01-18-14, 10:54 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
What is DDP? Maybe I should revisit yoga. I've only tried Kathy Smith and a couple of others, years ago. I wasn't impressed.

What is LMP and WY?
DDP Yoga is Diamond Dallas Page Yoga. ddpyoga.com. There are a lot of you tube videos regarding his program...one neat one comparing it to P90X. Also a very inspirational one with a retired vet who rehabilitates using DDPY.

Diamond Dallas Page is a former WWF (wrestler) who got interested in yoga after being injured...his wife got him into it. He's made his own program, even renaming poses and adding his "dynamic resistance". I am not a yogi and have not been able to get into yoga but am enjoying this program. The workouts are short and methodical in how they progress.

He isn't zen at all and his motto is "this ain't your momma's yoga". He's gruff and a bit of a showoff/hotdog. For some reason, I am liking it and liking my strength gains. I am picky, so I'm surprised I found something I'll do!

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 11:03 AM  
rockette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
Do you have trouble with all kinds of knee bending or only second position (feet wide apart) plies? Could you do diamond leg (feet together but turned out) plies? My body craves second position plie work so I am glad to see it featured, but I know that many people dislike it. Most barre workouts have some but you could always do a substitution if it is a short section. Does releve also cause you pain?

Have you ever tried Balletone? I love Sole Synthesis, a nice blend of center floor work and yoga. Kari Anderson has some similar DVDs, but I find Balletone more challenging. There is also Michelle Dozois's Bodyfit 360. It's gotten good reviews but I haven't been able to do it yet because of my elbow injury.

Essentrics is wonderful for range of motion and I use it on my light days. The Strength and Stretch video has 4 segments of 25min so they make great add-ons.

Hatha is kind of a catchall term for yoga, but isn't typically associated with power yoga. If you are open to streaming, My Yoga Online typically offers a free 2 week trial and has loads of styles and instructors. Some of the content is original for the site and some comes from videos (Eion Finn, Janet Stone, Shiva Rea). They recently merged with Gaiam so soon MYO members will have full access to both sites. There are also Pilates and dance workouts on there. Most of the Exhale Core Fusion DVDs are free to stream from MYO. You can sample a wide variety of styles on there and I would be happy to recommend some teachers if you sign up.
I don't do plies in ballet workouts anymore. I did try doing Ballet Body with flat feet, I didn't really find it to be much of a challenge since I can't really do too many pulses. I can do the plies in a Classical Stretch with no issues so it just something about those other plies that my knees don't agree with. I have tons of CS/Essentrics, but they don't give me the toning results I would like. I love them though.

I will take a look at some of the others you mentioned and thanks for the yoga explanation.

I obviously have some form issues. I can do squats on my Bun and thigh rocker and assisted squats using my Supreme Pilates swing through bar, but doing those on my own(with the exception of CS), no, no, no.
Old 01-18-14, 11:04 AM  
rockette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
DDP Yoga is Diamond Dallas Page Yoga. ddpyoga.com. There are a lot of you tube videos regarding his program...one neat one comparing it to P90X. Also a very inspirational one with a retired vet who rehabilitates using DDPY.

Diamond Dallas Page is a former WWF (wrestler) who got interested in yoga after being injured...his wife got him into it. He's made his own program, even renaming poses and adding his "dynamic resistance". I am not a yogi and have not been able to get into yoga but am enjoying this program. The workouts are short and methodical in how they progress.

He isn't zen at all and his motto is "this ain't your momma's yoga". He's gruff and a bit of a showoff/hotdog. For some reason, I am liking it and liking my strength gains. I am picky, so I'm surprised I found something I'll do!

Jackie
Sounds interesting, thanks.

Tags
barre, bodyweight, pilates, resistance training