Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-13, 06:47 PM  
try2bfit

Kettlebell Swing Form Question

Do you bend your knees when doing a kettlebell swing? I am viewing the virtual SKogg instruction and this background exerciser doesn't seem to bend her knees at all. Skogg also stated "that bending the knees isn't wrong but it is not correct." Then I viewed Youtube kettlebell swings and some people bend their knees a lot (and it looks like bad form). Also, is the virtual Skogg instruction similar to the instruction on Skogg DVDs? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Jody
try2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-13, 08:21 PM  
Eibhinn

My (completely untrained and self taught from videos so take it for what it's worth) understanding is that a major problem people make when doing swings is turning it into a squat and then driving upward to propel the kettlebell, when the movement should be propelled from the hip snap/forward and backward movement of the hips. Within this movement pattern I've seen more and less knee bend. Of all the demonstrations I've seen, Michael Skogg in the Skogg 101 instructional from his set de-emphasizes knee bend the most. The RKCs I've seen seem to have more knee bend, but it's still not pronounced.

So the amount of knee bend seems to maybe have a little to do with variations in kettlebell style. I think Skogg is a bit more "soft-style" kettlebell, which I think is a bit more inspired by kettlebell sport, therefore the intention is to do things in a way that is less physically taxing so that you can manage to do extremely high reps. RKCs are more "hard style," which I think is more focused on brute strength and power. Therefore it makes sense that the style might not be quite as concerned with no knee bend, because the knee bend recruits a bit more muscle in the leg, whereas I find following Skogg's instruction to bend the knee as little as possible makes swings physically easier, but perhaps I can't go quite as heavy (haven't checked that last bit out).

The degree of knee bend might also have a bit to do with our physiology - perhaps the level of flexibility or strength dictate how little bend we can have in our knees when swinging. The main point is to avoid doing swings as a squat, so it's likely best to try to reduce the knee bend as much as possible.

Again, since I'm not even remotely expert in these matters, I welcome anyone to clarify or correct anything I've said.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-13, 09:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I trained with Tracy Reifkind briefly and I just re-read the section of her "The Swing" book where she first describes/teaches the swing to make sure I didn't say anything wrong here. As Eibhinn said, the swing is not a squat. Tracy explains that it's a hinge where your legs meet your torso, and it's a back and forth motion rather than up and down. Think of a swingset on a playground. That's the movement you want. Personally, I think most likely, your legs will bend at the knees a little, but maybe it depends on your physiology. In the pictures, Tracy's knees are somewhat bent.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-13, 09:51 PM  
suegy3

Your knees should be soft which is a slight bend. And yes, it's similar to bee said...the movement is a swing back and forth, not up and down. This is how Skogg and I believe Steve Kotter explained it the same way.

When I first started kb training, I was bending my knees and they started aching. I started to correspond with Lisa Shafer about it and realized that I was doing it wrong. Since then, I haven't had any knee pain.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 11:06 AM  
Kyra

I can't imagine not bending the knees during a swing. The amount may depend on your particular anatomy so don't get hung up on how much so and so bends their knees, and attempt to mimic it. Think of hiking the bell back; propel through the hips/hip snap forward; arms like rope, just guiding the bell.

Also, be very careful who you watch on YouTube. I ONLY watch people who I know, know a lot more than I do.

EG, good video to sum this up: Flip swings. The person in this video is David Whitley, who knows his stuff. Note that his knees do not appear to bend all that much, but the power is still coming through his hips. I personally bend my knees more than that, but I have totally different anatomy than Whitley, and am only a fraction as strong. (Dude bends nails.) So - no absolutes, your form is your form. HTH

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 11:15 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
Think of hiking the bell back; propel through the hips/hip snap forward; arms like rope, just guiding the bell.
That's what I do...think that I'm hiking a football (of the North American variety ).

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 12:13 PM  
gladgirl

Here is a link to Lauren Brooks video KB swing re-do...she talks about swings early on and now...
http://www.ontheedgefitness.com/videos/
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 12:24 PM  
katmom

Here are some additional videos regarding swing form. The second one is pretty lengthy, but worth watching.

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/artic...ell-swing.html

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/artic...ell-swing.html

Tags
kettlebell swings