Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-13, 02:21 PM  
calendria

kettlebells and lowerback

I just got a dvd set from Sarah Lurie from Amazon. I am starting with 10# kettlebell and the Iron Core Kettlebell: Kettlebells the Iron Core Way Volume 1

well I have a hard time during the warmup and swinging the bell around my knees in the chair-yoga-squat.

Also, I feel something in my back. It doesn't hurt really, but it feels more like my lower back muscles had some stretching (and my hamstrings - omg) as I had to keep my back super straight and in squatting, standing, etc.

so . . . . any ideas? also, it was a lot of fun. It felt good to lift weights. I hadn't done that in 10 years!!!
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 02:56 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
I just got a dvd set from Sarah Lurie from Amazon. I am starting with 10# kettlebell and the Iron Core Kettlebell: Kettlebells the Iron Core Way Volume 1

well I have a hard time during the warmup and swinging the bell around my knees in the chair-yoga-squat.

Also, I feel something in my back. It doesn't hurt really, but it feels more like my lower back muscles had some stretching (and my hamstrings - omg) as I had to keep my back super straight and in squatting, standing, etc.

so . . . . any ideas? also, it was a lot of fun. It felt good to lift weights. I hadn't done that in 10 years!!!
Welcome to the world of kettlebells! Lol sounds like you were diligent about your form. I felt it in my back in the beginning too. Make sure to keep your back flat and suck in the abs and breath. Your core is probably just a bit weak.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 03:49 PM  
dela

I still get that feeling in my back, I have been using kettlebells on and off for years. I am not a big fan of swings in general because I'm always concerned about that feeling, but I just take rests. Like in Kettlebell kickboxing during the minute of swings, I will generally rest for a few seconds once or twice during the one minute.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 04:25 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Calendria every person is unique so there is no dvd that can be perfect for everybody. I personally think Sarah is pretty good. Try to add some mobility warm up specific to that area before starting the dvd.

Dela : if you talk about swing in general you should have not tht feeling, quite the opposite. Swings should loosen you up. If you are talking about general swing maybe you re not using your hips enough and are relying primary on your back.
I have back issues and swing and snatches ( precise technique and some core strength are advisable before snatching, good start is half snatch ) actually helps me stretch it out.
Jerks and heavy rack holds instead re not the best for me.

Old 09-21-13, 02:49 PM  
calendria

well I just watched a youtube video and I think that I was swinging to low to the ground and I need to swing closer to my body to avoid back pain.

I am soooo sore today. omg.

I have sore inner thighs, hampstrings. omg

just all over my legs lol

and yes, I do have a weak core
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-13, 05:29 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Certainly watching lots of tutorials to perfect your form--especially when doing swings--is helpful. Still, I find that my back can get tweaky with KB, and what also helps is frequent stretching during the workout. Many people swear by cobras, but I also like to stretch my hip flexors (e.g., low lunge) as well as get in some reclined twists.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 08:50 AM  
Eilene

Always remember to keep your abs tight the whole time and at the top of the swing tightly squeeze your butt & abs. I felt it also in my back in the beginning...not any more since my core is strong.
Eilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 09:35 AM  
katmom

This is a pretty good link showing form for the kettlebell swing. I find it helps to keep your eyes on the wall in front of you and keep your chest up as you hinge at the hips.

http://www.myomytv.com/perfecting-th...common-errors/
Old 09-23-13, 09:08 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
well I just watched a youtube video and I think that I was swinging to low to the ground and I need to swing closer to my body to avoid back pain.

I am soooo sore today. omg.

I have sore inner thighs, hampstrings. omg

just all over my legs lol

and yes, I do have a weak core
I made this mistake in the beginning, also. Try it so the bell swings just below your crotch and it takes a lot of the weight off the low back.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 11:31 AM  
slysam

I get sore muscles from kettlebell swings if I return to them after a long enough break not doing them. My back adapts pretty quickly though. The only other activity I recall getting DOMS in my low back is deadliest with a very heavy weight. Those muscles are definitely involved (depending on the technique) -- I don't really feel any other type of pain from them though just the delayed sore muscles the next day or two after at first. But I can see that perhaps some mobility work concentrating on the hips and lower back before might help as well as some stretching of those muscles afterwards to keep them from getting too tight.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell swings, low back pain