Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-13, 07:53 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey211 View Post
Glad to get you back at enabling!
Sending me all those links to tutorials and even KB options on Amazon? That was some expert evil enabling, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpotcat View Post
I heard swinging can result to nice round assets. Enjoy!
That was the deciding argument for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Part of my January challenge is doing 350 kettlebell swings for 6 days out of the week. I do a swing challenge often (a few thousand reps) and I've never had any adverse effects from it. The key when doing swings for volume is listening to your body. Once you feel your back tiring, stop.
A few thousand reps! Wow, Debbie, you never cease to impress me! Last night I was talking to a friend who told me he did not do KB swings often because he finds it hard on the back. My impression was that he is probably not using good form (I suspect he rounds his back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
Poke around in Tracy Reifkind's blog for some beginner programs http://tracysfoodandthought.blogspot.com/ - she puts up some of her programs scaled for beginners/intermediate/advanced exercisers and gives good suggestions on size of bell, swing timing and set lengths. She's also of course put out a book on swings and a few DVDs - swings are her thing!
That's a great resource, thank you! I already read a few interesting posts and bookmarked it to explore later.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 07:54 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
I recommend just perfecting the swing. The swing is the foundation of kettlebell training. I personally took a year to perfect certain kettlebell exercises before I started doing an actual workout. I'm so grateful that I didn't rush into it. It plays a huge role in my fitness regime.
I agree with this. Focus on perfecting the swing until it comes second nature to you, then go further.
Don't forget to insert cobras and child poses at the beginning between swing sets! Your lower back will thank you for it.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 08:41 AM  
LAC

I read Tracy Reifkind's book a few months ago. Really need to get that out and follow some of the programs she lays out. While Tracy is all about the swing, if I remember correctly, she doesn't encourage doing it every day and that is why she took up yoga.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 10:00 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
I read Tracy Reifkind's book a few months ago. Really need to get that out and follow some of the programs she lays out. While Tracy is all about the swing, if I remember correctly, she doesn't encourage doing it every day and that is why she took up yoga.
There are differing thoughts on whether or not the swing can be done daily. Tracy does not recommend it, but Pavel says it is okay to swing everyday. In her book IIRC, Lisa Shaffer recommends changing up the number of sets and reps when you do swings so that you're not doing the same workout day after day.

I think it's really a matter of listening to your body and finding what works for you.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 10:30 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
The key when doing swings for volume is listening to your body. Once you feel your back tiring, stop.
This is key advice. I have been toying with kettlebells on and off for a few years. I followed tutorials and practiced my swings. I was trying to do the 200 swing challenge last year and watched Tracy Reifkind's tutorials. But I still hurt my lower back pretty badly and it put me out for a few months. I think first and foremost I didn't listen to my body. I felt my lower back tightening up and I continued on and finished my set for the day. If I had done the swings every other day or stopped immediately when I felt my back tighten up, I don't think I would have had a problem.

Another thing for me is I was using a 15 lb kettlebell and I think for swings to be done properly, I should have gone heavier with the kettlebell. I haven't done them since last year, but these are the two changes I would make if I decide to go back in.

Good luck and enjoy!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 01:00 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
I agree with this. Focus on perfecting the swing until it comes second nature to you, then go further.
Don't forget to insert cobras and child poses at the beginning between swing sets! Your lower back will thank you for it.
Thank you for the cobra/child pose suggestion. Cobra is a difficult pose for me because of my tight lower back (compressed vertebrae) so I suspect that I need this even more. I'm also thinking of looking for a KB trainer in my area to help me out with form and make sure I am not developing bad habits as I learn the swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Another thing for me is I was using a 15 lb kettlebell and I think for swings to be done properly, I should have gone heavier with the kettlebell. I haven't done them since last year, but these are the two changes I would make if I decide to go back in.

Good luck and enjoy!
Wow, really? 15lbs feels pretty heavy to me (especially on the first few reps) and I can't imagine swinging much more than that right now. Then again I usually work with really, really light weights...
Old 01-24-13, 01:11 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Thank you for the cobra/child pose suggestion. Cobra is a difficult pose for me because of my tight lower back (compressed vertebrae) so I suspect that I need this even more. I'm also thinking of looking for a KB trainer in my area to help me out with form and make sure I am not developing bad habits as I learn the swing.

Wow, really? 15lbs feels pretty heavy to me (especially on the first few reps) and I can't imagine swinging much more than that right now. Then again I usually work with really, really light weights...
Fuzzie, maybe sphinx might be an alternative to cobra?

Regarding the weight, I started out with 8kg (slightly more than your 15 lbs), but quickly moved on to 12kg--my 8kg now feels WAY too light for double swings. I think if the weight is too light, it may contribute to imbalances.

On the other hand, using just 12kg, I'm pretty fatigued by 50-75 swings; I'm in awe of those who are doing more reps with higher weights!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 01:19 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Fuzzie, maybe sphinx might be an alternative to cobra?
Absolutely. I usually move into cobra through a sequence of cat-cow, sphinx, cobra. I find it allows my back to slowly open up to the pose.
Old 01-24-13, 03:00 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
There are differing thoughts on whether or not the swing can be done daily. Tracy does not recommend it, but Pavel says it is okay to swing everyday. In her book IIRC, Lisa Shaffer recommends changing up the number of sets and reps when you do swings so that you're not doing the same workout day after day.

I think it's really a matter of listening to your body and finding what works for you.

~Sissy B
Yes, this, exactly
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 06:33 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post

~Sissy B
I agree, and it really is important to listen to your body.

I definitely would not follow an instructor's advice to the tee, because as time goes on, they tend to change their point of view.

I know that in RKS they recommend doing dead lifts when you tire from doing swings. I think this is the wrong thing to do and I've voiced my opinion and concern here on VF. Your lower back is already fatigued and the last thing you want to do is deadlifts!

I personally recommended around the body passes. It's not only a great core tightener, but its cardio effect is great.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell swings