Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-11, 09:29 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

back DOMS doing kb overhead swing...normal?

I just got Lauren Brooks' kettlebell workout (the first one) and did the 40 minute workout for the first time yesterday morning. I liked the workout and her instruction. However, this was my first time doing the overhead swing move..which I like alot!
Today though my whole back is sore from DOMS. Mostly in the upper back area between the shoulder blades. I actually started to feel it last night before bed which seemed pretty quick to already feel DOMS. I'm thinking this is probably pretty normal...but I just wanted to check with all the kettlebellers out there to make sure just in case. Is it possible I was doing the move incorrectly? It's definately DOMS and not an injury, and my lower back feels okay. Anybody want to reassure me?

On another note, I think I may have been doing swings "too squatty" in the past according to Lauren. She says that this causes someone to work too hard for a high rep move. The second question I have is...is this really a bad thing? If you can handle doing the swing with a little more of a squat than she shows would it actually injure you or is she just saying it would be to fatiguing?

Thanks for any responses!
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 09:35 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi eyefit--I am new to KBs myself. I haven't yet done any overhead swings; I can't answer that Q, but I am interested to hear what kind of responses you get. Also, I am getting Lauren's DVD soon on loan, so I'll be doing this myself.

Regarding swings, I watched many online tutorials before I started doing these, and most suggested that your calves want to remain pretty straight up & down, with your knees bending only slightly--so, different from a squat in that respect. I think (someone please correct me if I am wrong!) that the idea is to base the move on more of a deadlift than a squat. One of the tips that has helped me so far is to imagine the power you need to leap off the ground.

The moves I am struggling with are cleans and snatches. I need to watch more tutorials on those or I am going to wind up black & blue on my forearms!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 09:46 AM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

I am no expert, but I think different instructors do different levels of a squat like move when doing swings . . the key is to make the power come from yours hips though, not your legs or back, as you thrust forward. So, if you can think of the power coming from your hips, it makes a huge difference. The KB seems to fly up much easier, and the thing that is surprising (to me) is it causes by inner thigh area to be sore afterwards but not during.
Old 09-17-11, 10:08 AM  
Missiscipi

I tend to gravitate to the more squatty swing due to my kettlebell beginner experience was Brook Benten's Butts and Guts and she did more of a squatty swing. I think it built my quads quickly more than my glutes. I do try to do more of a bifold swing when I am really concentrating on it because you do tend to get fatigued quicker doing a trifold (squatty swing).

As far as DOMS in your upper back, yes, I definitely get that from high pulls and snatches if I haven't done them in a while! They are great for developing the upper back!

Here is a "note" from Joey Alvarado facebook page (Combat Kettlebell Systems, Shadow Jitsu dvd) about different swings -

"Should I swing this way? Or that way????
by Joey Alvarado on Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 1:12am

Since i have been involved in the kettlebell industry, i have noticed this whole "swing" debate. Its seams to be never ending. Everyone is so critical of one another and quick to judge someones form. They feel that if you are not swinging the kettlebell the way they were taught, then it is incorrect. This whole debate continues on to other exercises as well. Especially the snatch.

This is the way i break it down. Please keep in mind that this is my philosophy and my opinion. I feell that there is always more than one way to do something. I was taught to swing and snatch from a certified coach. I like that way and it works for me and and so do the people i train. I also believe that there are numerous swing and snatch variations that are equally effective. Technique varies from organization to organization. IKKF guys swing different than RKC guys. RKC guys swing different than Crossfit people. Crossfit people, from what ive seen, swing differently than the way i was taught. Yet i see hundreds of people loving Crossfit and getting in crazy shape from it. How can i say that the way i swing and snatch is better than theirs?? Mike Mahler made a post regarding people who heckle him online. Thats some audacity. One of the most respected names in the industry, and someone is critiquing his form. lol

What it boils down to is that kettlebell training becomes an extension of your personality period. People gravitate towards what suits them. Hell i actually practice a bunch a different swing variations. It really depends on how i feel that day. But i also learn from everyone. Im a huge advocate of Jeet Kune Do philosophy. What people do not realize is that Bruce Lee was a genius. One of my favorite sayings is, "take what is useful, and discard what is not". Ive learned moves by watching people like Steve Maxwell, Steve Cotter,Mark de Grasse, Mike Mahler, Marcus Martinez and many more. My system is a culmination of everthing ive learned from my coach, various other people and moves i have developed myself.

I guess this whole note stemmed from someone who made a comment on one of my videos. He said my snatch was incorrect. It honestly makes me laugh. Fitness is like comparing apples and oranges in my opinion."
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 10:42 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

wow, thanks for that info Rozy! I felt like I was doing okay with my swing until I watched Lauren's tutorial, then I second guessed myself. I never got hurt or injured...which is my biggest worry with kettlebells. I get worried that even if I'm not immediately injured that maybe I'm causing problems for later? It's nice to know there may be more than one correct way. I definately keep the power in my hips when I'm swinging up either way I do it. I've always focused hard on snapping my hips on the upswing and squeezing my glutes. I've gotten better at keeping my back straight, head up and arm's relaxed as I swing up too. That was something that clicked best when I did RKS. The DOMS I felt this morning are already feeling a little better now that I'm moving around some. I can really see how the overhead swing will improve my upper back strength! I really loved the way that move jacked up my heart rate too...awesome!

Snatches are another move that I realized I was probably doing wrong (learned from Bob's cardio shred...which I realize now he was criticized for bad form in some parts of his kb videos). I didn't know you are supposed to use the high pull as a base for the snatch...that is something I'm really struggling with perfecting so I've stepped back from snatches lately and have been practicing high pulls more instead.
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell form, kettlebell swings, swing, swings