Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-11, 02:37 PM  
Daizyduke

kettlebell help

Hi. I just purchased my first kettlebell. I also bought a Bob Harper dvd to use with it. Reading the forums, I have learned that he doesn't have the best form. I'm guessing that the swing is the first exercise I should master. Are there any free online tutorials/videos that I can refer to? I need really clear instructions. I tried going to youtube and watched a Lauren Brooks video on swings. That particular video did not give me proper stance info - for example - how far apart to put my feet or in which direction my feet should point. Thanks for any help.
Daizyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 03:33 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Feet are usually slightly wider than the width of your shoulders. Especially wider if using a competition kettlebell, as it needs to pass through your legs. Toes are slightly turned out.

There are a number of examples on youtube. Too many to list. Did you type kettlebell swing into the search field? If not, try that.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 08:40 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Not to be insulting, but you might try looking for "Kettlebell's for Dummies" at your local library. Sarah Lurie wrote it, and it really helps with some of the basic questions when you're new to kettlebells. It has a few pictures of various exercises. For example, one of them she shows how to practice cleans standing a few feet from a wall, so the bell doesn't swing out too far in front of you.

Hope this helps!

Pam

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 08:52 PM  
Getfit

I like http://livefitrevolution.com. It is a free site and there are demos of exercises. She also has workouts and you can see the instructor correcting the participants form. I have found this website very helpful.
Old 08-16-11, 09:50 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

I second the KB for Dummies book. I took classes and have all the DVDs but a book is great for reference. Sarah has some great pointers and pictures for the Swing and other moves.

MariaW
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 09:56 PM  
gmac

I also recommend Kettlebellsbfor Dummies. I currently have a copy checked out from my library and have found it useful.
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 07:31 AM  
Sissy B

Daisy - I like Kettlebells for Dummies too. I have several copies of Sarah Lurie's instructional DVD that used to come with the Go Fit Kettlebells. She goes over 5 basic exercises including the swing with variations and Turkish Get-ups. If you would like me to send you a copy let me know.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:51 PM  
Daizyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Daisy - I like Kettlebells for Dummies too. I have several copies of Sarah Lurie's instructional DVD that used to come with the Go Fit Kettlebells. She goes over 5 basic exercises including the swing with variations and Turkish Get-ups. If you would like me to send you a copy let me know.

~Sissy B
Are her instructions VERY clear? I have looked on youtube, and most of the instructors aren't clear enough in their explanations. If you have an extra, that would be great if you could send it. Should I send you money for shipping? THank you so much.
Daizyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 02:16 PM  
Just_Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizyduke View Post
Are her instructions VERY clear? I have looked on youtube, and most of the instructors aren't clear enough in their explanations. If you have an extra, that would be great if you could send it. Should I send you money for shipping? THank you so much.
We just started out with kettlebells. I know you're not looking for a system, just free you tube help, but...save your pennies and get The Skogg System. The instruction is better than anything I've watched on You Tube and we are loving it. We also got RKS, and that's very good, but we're going to do an entire rotation of Skogg first to perfect our form. That's the beauty of Skogg, doesn't get boring yet we're really learning well. Then we'll do RKS and then hopefully Skogg will have his next system out.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 07:46 PM  
Sissy B

It has been a while since I've watched it, but I remember it being pretty good. And don't worry about sending me any money - it's really not necessary.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell beginner, kettlebell form, kettlebell swings, kettlebells for beginners