Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-02-21, 12:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Oh, no Nathalie! I'm so sorry that happened! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. And, big Watulan (((hugs)))!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 01:03 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello Watulans!

I'm continuing with my 20 in 20 rotation. I did Caroline Girvan's Epic II Day 45 Fearless Dumbbell complex (I'm sure I botched the title lol) on the recommendation of manleym on another check in thread. I also really liked it and I like Caroline although I'm not matching her weights. First off, I don't have 35 pound dumbbells, second, well, I tend to switch to a barbell if I'm going heavier than 25 pound dumbbells. I also won't do lateral raises with the kind of weight she uses. Anyway I enjoyed it and will definitely do more of her workouts once I'm completed my 20 in 20 rotation. Yesterday I pulled out Susan Chung's original RapidFire that I haven't done in years and also liked it a lot. I watched the instructional segment for the first time and it was very helpful. Her husband did the movements and he has extensive training and credentials so I trusted what I was seeing. Today is Amy Dixon's Super Fit Bod which I've only done once and I liked it there have just been so many choices I haven't gotten back to it. This rotation has been super fun so far!

We are still getting beans at a steady pace. One thing I have learned is that the pods can be hard to spot! If DH is home he checks the plants with me so I don't miss any hidden treasures. They have been very good! Yesterday I blanched and froze some more of the fresh corn we got. We will probably make one more trip to our favorite farm to get the last of the harvest since they are normally done by mid August.

Nathallie, I'm SO sorry about your broken ankle but relieved it wasn't both ankles!! Maybe you won't need surgery? Let us know what the orthopedic surgeon says. Sending healing hugs your way!

manleym, I'm intrigued by an instructor calling herself BurpeeGirl, although not so intrigued by the burpees themselves. Did she do a whole lot of them?? Thanks for the suggestions for instructors to do for the 20 in 20 rotation. I'm finding there really are a ton of options out there!

FN1, I don't have any "scientific" evidence, but I have found that if I take it back a notch I can do more when I bring it back up. I think you and I both tend to do maybe more than we should (hence our nicknames) and don't recover enough. I was forced to take a big step back several years ago when my appendix ruptured and could only do walking for a few months, but when I was able to go back to a more "normal" routine I almost felt invigorated. Maybe something similar is happening to you? I didn't really notice it as much with strength as I did with cardio. Anyway it's good news that you were able to get through KPC (which doesn't seem as hard as it did when it first came out, at least to me) but wow on those pike rollups! Those are still hard! I actually started doing the abs section of Pyramid Upper first then the rest of it since my abs were already tired from the routine.

Chele, good to "see" you and good that you are getting around a bit better. That's a great suggestion to Nathalie to get a rolling walker. Crutches always seem a bit unstable.

Waves to all!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 05:19 PM  
Mickey12

Oh Nathalie, I am so sorry to hear about your injury. Well that just stinks that it happened on your vacation. I hope you can muster up a good attitude and hopefully have at least a little fun and relaxation. Sending prayers to you.

Cataddict yum on the beans and corn. Your talk of blanching and freezing corn reminded me of my grandmother. She had a superior garden and was always putting up, via canning or freezing, her bountiful harvest. That brings back such nice memories of my childhood. My paternal grandparents lived next door to us so I was at their house a lot since both my parents worked. The summer days were so long and carefree……

Linda the Suzanne Deason Gaiam workout that I have on DVD is called 5 Day Fit Yoga, so it’s not the one you have. But the way Gaiam recycles material, I wouldn’t be surprised if the same workout was on your disc too.

Manley I totally agree about Christie’s Totally Hot Cardio. That workout is just fun, fun, fun!

Yesterday I started to do Cathe Fit Tower Advanced Total Body. I was about 15 minutes into it and we lost electricity due to a storm. Grrr! So, I did the rest of it today. It’s about 50 minutes and not too brutal so it was enjoyable to me. It was a gorgeous day in my area so I got outside for a walk at lunch too.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week.
Old 08-03-21, 08:30 AM  
horusosiris

Happy Tuesday to All

Natalie
– Sorry about your injury. How did your visit with the orthopedic surgeon go?

Manley and Mickey
- I totally agree that Totally Hot Cardio is such a fun workout.

Manelym-Gabby Thomas runs in the 20 meter finals today. She one of my son’s athletes that he coached while she was at Harvard. nNw that she is a professional, he assist her main coach. There has been a lot of controversy going into this race because two late entrants, Christine Mboma and Beatrice Masilingi, have DSD (differences of sex development) with naturally very high levels of testosterone. They were banned from the 400 meters by Olympic rules but the same rules do not yet apply to the 200 meters. This is a very difficult issue for the women involved and the other runners.

For me, this is the real spirit of the Olympics. These two high jump athletes decided to share the gold medal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjSCT97GSsA

Cataddict – Great job on finishing the CL rotation. How is your 20 instructors in 20 days going? I am also not doing new to me instructors but just 20 different instructors.

Kitty- Some of Suzanne Bowen's workouts are good. I could not do a steady dose of her but periodically doing her workouts are boredom busters for me. I also use Tracie Long, The Firm workouts and Leah Sarago as boredom busters.

Kitty- I have found that if I take things down a notch that my athletic (cardio and strength) actually increase. Actually, I think that periodization is the key (i.e., you have to do low moderate and high intensity) to see gains in cardio endurance and strength. Athletically speaking, too much of one thing is rarely good.

VF- do you have Cathe’s Fit Tower?
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 02:14 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

First of all, sending out many hugs, healing energy and love to Lavna and all our injured Watulans!!!! Stay strong and hope the healing continues quickly.

Hi you guys. Oh such drama lately. My son Justin had to be rushed to ER last Wed night. Severe stomach pain. He ended up in the hospital until late yesterday. More tests, more procedures and they had to already replace the stint in his liver. Somehow it had gotten infected. But he's home now and better. I am slightly more insane but we're all getting thru it! ;-)

So lets see...here's last week and this week so far.
Thurs: I did Body Jam 65. So much fun and I needed something to take my mind off Justin. I bought this one off eBay.
Yoga: Poweryoga.com Dan Ward and Yin Restorative. Needed something calming and this worked great.

Fri: Hammer Plyometric + ISO Speed + Abs, Not my favorites but I worked hard and am feeling it. Both were a little too fast paced doing burpees to pullups back to burpees, etc. So I just did the pullups with my assist. I did like the weight work though.
Yoga was Gaia.com Troy Hadeed Magic Morning

Yesterday: Cathe Live 163 Buff Upper Body. Oooh I like this one. Have done it a couple times and love the triset work!
No Yoga as I went to help son get settled back in from the hospital.

Today I did Body Attack 66. Weeee! I just got some new Reeboks similar to the ones they sell on LM and love how my feet don't hurt during the impact moves. Finally some good shoes.
Just finished Poweryoga.com Serge and Humility in our Hips. A lovely, lovely slower flow. Not too hard, not too fast. Ahhh.

Sending everyone Olympic sized fierceness and much healing and love. I'll be back.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 03:07 PM  
fanofladyvols

cataddict we have been getting cucumbers and green beans from a friend. These beans are waxy I don't understand how they grow that way but they're awful shiny and yummy.

kittybug girl you know I bring the low key around here. I always plan my rotations to ebb and flow. I could not give my all and do Cathe's rotations as is. If my strength is intense, then my cardio is lower intensity. And vice versa. Its not just about my body either. I need it mentally. I always feel like the stress of exercise is the only stress I can control.

horusosiris are Cathe's fit tower workouts Barre workouts?

Manley I was almost tempted with the 20/20 challenge but then I realized I want to stick to something right now. I may end up doing it later like around the holidays. I think it would fit my mindset better since everything is so hectic anyway.

kim im jealous of your weather nice enough to walk in. It's so humid here!

Alta how do you decide what you're doing during the week. Do you set up a schedule?

Great big deep schmugah hugs to ChelePA, lavna, and Kate. Hang in there!!

My plan is to do 21DF with PIYO until my hike. Then some weightlifting rotation after the hike..can't decide.

Today was kettlebells and 21DF Total body cardio. Since my kettlebell exercises covered being warmed up and ab work, I skipped the warmup and ab crunchfest in 21DF.

Sweaty, healthy wishes to all!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 03:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Quick post and I will come back later. Yesterday I planned to do the Amy workout but felt pretty worn down so did some walking instead. It's on tap for today now that we've gotten our melons and fresh corn from the farm. Funny but I called the farm yesterday to see when their season would be over and expected to get a recording. Instead, the farmer himself answered the phone and I was so surprised that I accidentally hung up on him! I called right back and apologized and he said they were picking today and tomorrow and then they were done for the year. So I will be blanching and freezing for the next few days as DH wanted plenty.

Kate, wow on all that your son and you have been through! So very frightening and good that he is starting to feel better. Also good that your workouts are helping to relieve some of your stress, although I can't imagine how stressful it has been for all of you! I must ask, what model of Reebok shoes did you get? I'm always in the market for shoes with a ton of cushioning as these old feet definitely need it.

Back later! Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 05:26 PM  
horusosiris

Kate - so sorry for all that you and your son are going through. I am glad that your son is improving.

Linda - some of them are barre (like Turbo Barre) but most are not strictly barre but they may contain some barre type moves.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 05:51 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Sorta quick drive-by post, Watulans!! Busy, busy, busy!

Yesterday was Cathe's Afterburn Bonus Burn premix because I had to see where I was at. Yep, taking things down a notch for a couple months has definitely given me a boost. I don't get it, but I ain't complaining!! Thanks Horusosiris and FN2 for your input on this. I did stumble on something called aerobic base building that at least kinda explains some of it, but the periodization makes sense to me and is something for me to look more into. Because periods of less intensity yet still gaining benefits sounds just awesome to me!

Today I was going to revisit my Inner Dimension sub but then...I have this CD I burned YEARS ago back in 2006 with a bunch of Yogi Wade's 90-minute practices someone had made available as audio-only podcasts online. Anyone remember Yogi Wade (Wade Zinter, I think?)? I can't believe this old CD still plays! Anywho, I did one of the practices that was appropriately titled 'Sweat Fest' and OMG. THAT WAS HARD!! Guess I need to be revisiting his stuff and find if there are more current practices out there somewhere.

I am so jealous of you ladies and your fresher than fresh produce!! MMMMM!!!

BIG HUGE hugs to you and your son, KateTT, to Nathalie and her ankles, to ChelePA and her whole family, and to anyone else needing a hug right now.

Okay, hope to catch up more laters...stay fierce, y'all!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 07:45 PM  
Mickey12

Kate, I hope things calm down for you soon. Sending love and hope and strength for you and Justin.

Today I did Cathe’s Hiit 30/30. I really like this one for a quick and dirty workout. I also went for a walk at lunch. Our weather has been spectacular lately.

There was a thread about some old Leslie workouts on the General Discussion section and I ended up buying all four from Amazon thanks to our great VF group. Very excited to get them. I think they’re pretty old and I am anxious to see the old sets and crew.

We went to see Jungle Cruise over the weekend. It was a lot of fun because there were references to the Jungle Cruise ride in Disney (which we love) and it made it really enjoyable. The story was better than I expected too.

Goodnight my Watulan friends.

Tags
watulan check-in