Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-17, 12:37 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11 View Post
I agree there are many examples on Youtube on how NOT to kettlebell. Recipes for injury. You've go great recommendations above.

Genevieve M, here is Karen Smith, Master StrongFirst Instructor describing and demonstrating details for proper hip hinge, swing, deadlift.

I was trained in a gym by Danny Sawaya, a StrongFirst Team Leader. Danny was trained directly by Pavel Tsatsouline. Danny trained me the same way Karen describes in this video. No injuries in two years training. I was in the best overall shape/fitness ever. Mobile. Flexible. Strong. I miss it...can't train there now due to my asthma. Just providing info so you know who/why I'm recommending her. Of course there are other ways to swing...injury free & strength is my main focus.

Hope the links below helps Genevieve M

This first link is from Karen on the Girls Gone Strong Youtube channel [lots of great info on this channel]

https://youtu.be/2Yp2OX0KJdA

This second link is from Karen's own channel...she has even more info/instruction there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDBosfFUuDs
Lauren Brooks is also StrongFirst certified. Anyone that has trained that way definitely knows their stuff! I am also subscribed to Karen's YouTube channel
Old 09-02-17, 02:08 PM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
Yeah, I looked at the videos that Amy has, and it really looks like she is swinging the bell too low (not close enough to her body/crotch on the downswing - it looks like it is closer to her knees) and she also looks like she is arching her back at the top. I wonder how she is able to do that without feeling back pain??

Like everyone else mentioned, Lauren Brooks has great videos regarding swing form, as well as Tracy Reifkind and the others mentioned.

Personally, a cue that works for me is to think of yourself doing the broad jump. Without a kettlebell in your hands, prep yourself like you're about to try to jump as far forward as you can. Then pretend to jump forward while keeping your feet on the ground. To me, that motion is what the swing should feel like, but of course with the bell in your hands. Another cue that Lauren uses a lot is to "keep your shoulders packed", meaning don't let them roll forward as you swing...keep your shoulder blades in your pockets
Yes...totally agree about Lauren & StrongFirst. And those are great cues...the broad jump one is spot on. And the shoulders packed is great for swings and also for shoulder press, waiters walk, rack, and turkish gettup etc

So much going on with kettlebell training...really takes concentration. Well I guess that's true for all strength training, regardless of the tool
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell swings