Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-16, 02:59 PM  
AnMrsDe

Gosh, I used to do Slim & Limber so often a few years ago....I guess I got a little burnt out on it, but it is an excellent stretch.

Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but Mimi Solaire's Deep Stretch is a great one with 4 segments that are body focused, with most being around 20 min. Some of the segments use the stretchy band or strap but is not necessary. It mentions on the cover that it is Yin, but it really isnt. She does hold the poses awhile but not long enough to be considered yin. It always makes me feel so good afterward and I reach for it often.

Also, if short on time, I used to do this one all the time too...Kathy Smith's 8 min. stretch on her Timesaver Cardio Fat Burner workout. I don't reach for it any more since it's hard to get to on the dvd and forget about it. But I had it memorized and did it a lot after my walks. It mostly focuses on the lower body although she does include neck stretches.

ETA: I thought of another oldie but goodie: Karen Voight's Pilates Core Power. I used to do it often and need to pull it out again! It's done all on the floor, 45 min., but you could skip segments if need be as it's chaptered. Good, soothing music and is pilates-focused with some additional core work and nice back strengthening work. OK, I just talked myself into doing it this week!

Some of my current most used stretches come from streaming sites that I wrote down before the subscription was deleted. I definitely found some good ones online!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 03:07 PM  
Lori_Michigan

+1 to trying Sahra's offerings instead of Miranda. I have Essentrics TV, and I pretty much stick with Sahra's workouts instead of CS. I think I'd enjoy Miranda as a person, but just not as an instructor. I find myself much more stretched out and not as frustrated when I do Sahra's workouts. But everybody's different!

I'd also recommend Michelle Dozois' Dynamic Flexibility -- it's 30 mins and it hits everything. Karen Voight's Stretch and Core Conditioning is really relaxing. I also would put Ellen Barrett's Floor Fusion in the more stretchy pilates category. Even Trudie Styler's Core Pilates is stretchy, in my opinion.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 04:22 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I see that Michelle Doizois' entire Dynamic Flexibility workout is on YouTube. Looks like there are lots more complete workouts of hers there, too. I need to take a closer look!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 06:00 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I see that Michelle Doizois' entire Dynamic Flexibility workout is on YouTube. Looks like there are lots more complete workouts of hers there, too. I need to take a closer look!
Cool! I think it's part of the Peakfit series, but I was lucky to get mine in a trade, and I don't have the rest of the set. I wish Michelle would put out more just like this one!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 06:45 PM  
jillf

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Yoga with Adriene's yoga camp on youtube. Slow, stretchy, daily for 30 days, short, felt great. The key (like all these things) is doing it on a regular basis.
I just discovered Adriene and I love her workouts! Also recently started taking yoga classes 2days/wk. Slowly noticing improvement in my tight hamstrings, hips, and lower back. I like classical stretch but I feel Sahra has better workouts for flexibility than Miranda does.
jillf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 11:24 PM  
Scorpio6

I just do plain old stretching using either a resistance band or a yoga strap, and do it on my bed. No video, no book, just me and my body and most of the time some relaxing new age music or soft jazz. The body can only stretch so many ways and your body will tell you when it's had enough. Just go slow.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, miranda esmonde-white, tangoflex