Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-02, 09:07 AM  
skimmy

Step Co. Step or Reebok Step (the new one)

OK, so I need help deciding which step to buy. The Reebok is cheeper, and has more heights, but am I sacrificing quality? Please help me out! Thanks!
skimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-02, 10:04 AM  
PamelaP

What you'd really be sacrificing with the new Reebok is not quality but size, specifically width. The Step Co. step is 43" wide whereas the Reebok is more like 28". You're talking about the royal blue one that adjusts to different heights, right?

PS: I moved this thread to the Equipment conference with a redirect in General Discussion.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-02, 10:41 AM  
skimmy

Yes, I'm talking about the blue one. I didn't even thing to look at the size of it. So, it's about half the width! Wow!
Old 04-17-02, 11:21 AM  
Vic

The length may not be a HUGE deal depending on your height though. I orginally bought a different brand of step in the beginning (years and years ago) until I decided I really liked doing Step and shelled out the $100 for the Step Co. step. Gave me other one to a friend who's around 5'1" and she liked the shorter step just fine. I suppose you also need to consider your fitness level.
Old 04-17-02, 11:34 AM  
skimmy

I am also 5'1" and VERY petite, so maybe the shorter one might not be so bad... especially as a starter step (although I am pretty fit, I just haven't stepped for YEARS!)
Old 04-17-02, 12:11 PM  
rockette
VF Supporter

The Step Co. Step is also a great weight bench

Hi,
I'm 5'2 and I used a shorter step for a few weeks and then found a Step Co. step at Play It Again Sports for $50. You might want to try a used sporting goods store if there are any in your area. Yard sales and Goodwill have also had steps for much less than retail. Thd Step Co. step made a big difference in my workouts and I love the fact that it's great as a weight bench(which was a problem I had with the shorter step).

Rockette
rockette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-02, 12:58 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

"The Step" is extremely

versatile. I personally recommend "The Step" because of the versatility. Since I bought several extra risers, I use my step for step ups and for bench work.

If you decide on "The Step", check out, www.fitnesswholesale.com. You can get the whole set for $69.95 plus shipping. It's also the same price at this website http://www.fitness1st.com/Steps_and_Benches.html

What I would do personally is see which company is closest to you that way the shipping wouldn't be so bad.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-02, 03:07 PM  
Brenda0506

I recently bought full size Step from Reebok, the black one with the snapin risers in grey. I'm very happy with it. I can adjust it and use it as an incline bench. I this one over the blue one from Reebok because the blue one just didn't look durable to me. I chose this one over the one from The Step Co. because I like how the risers just snap in.

Buying my step has been one of the best purchases in a long time.

Brenda
Brenda0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-02, 06:44 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I am short (5'), but I prefer the longer Step Co step. It's just more stable esp if you are working out with Cathe. It makes the moves so much easier to execute.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-02, 10:29 AM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I believe the blue Reebok bench is identical to a Weider step I bought at Sears. It was convenient to be able to adjust it on the fly, but the width turned out to be a real issue for me - it was pretty much impossible to do the workouts I wanted to do.

The bigger problem was that it broke! It turns out that the Weider Step (and maybe the Reebok, too, since they look so similar) did not have a stop to prevent you from pulling it too far up. I accidently pulled it too hard and it came out of the track and couldn't go back in. It was stuck permanently at about 2 feet tall.

I'd be nervous about buying the Reebok blue step without getting a chance to look at it really carefully - and keep your receipt!

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step co. step