Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-03, 01:25 AM  
Nancy N.
VF Supporter

Joined a gym, video hiatus?

I just joined Gold's Gym two days ago after having a fit during Cathe's Power Hour.

I was trying to workout and DH was trying to manage the fussy toddler around my 8'x6' rug (or whatever size it is... it's just a rug, for gawd's sake! Can't they stay off my rug?? Can't I have my teeny rectangular space all to myself for one or two hours a week [you can see my workouts have become more and more sporadic]) and I was in the middle of jumping back during some push-ups and, at the last moment, I barely see that DH (the 'D' isn't standing for 'dear' in this story) is about to walk right in the path of my jump back - and he's carrying the baby, and he'd recently wrenched his back, so he'll go down really badly if he goes down and he'll probably toss the baby - so I stop what I'm doing.

ARGGH!! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO ASK FOR A LITTLE BIT OF SPACE??? ARGGH! THIS KIND OF STUFF IS GOING TO GET ONE OF US HURT!!!! ARGGH!

So I yell at him a bit, and he said he didn't see me, of course, blah blah blah. My endorphins are waning, my exercise enthusiasm is fading. I try to soldier on, but get mad all over again because this is a VERY old battle that I can't seem to win. I pull a Katy Kaboom and throw my 18-pound body bar on the floor. Heads turn. Yeah, now I got their attention! It gets a little ugly after that, I won't bore you documenting the exchange of accusations. I love the guy dearly, but sometimes he can be such an IDIOT. He said half-jokingly that I was just mad because I had to drop my weights during the legwork on Power Hour!

So I go out an hour later and check out two gyms and sign with Gold's. I already went to a half-hour Core Conditioning class (not what you would expect it to be... the teacher took suggestions as she was new to the class and we ended up working chest, bis, tris, lats, and legs! Lots of squats and lunges, she kicked my arse!) and it was fun. Really, really happy with the notion that I'll be able to work out on a more regular basis (knock on wood), even though it'll cost me $51 a month. Oh, well, I probably spend that much on videos when it's averaged out over a year.

So, I just made a short story long. Any advice to help with the transition? I already subbed skull crushers when everyone else was doing dips - can't handle the shoulder pain. And I pyramided down a lot while everyone else mostly seemed to stick with the same weight. I'm looking forward to using the free weights on the floor (the ones outside a structured class). I'll have to go over to Hardgainer and check out Andrea's progress. Maybe I'll have to copy her!

Sad thing is, I have all these new DVDs and I can't use them. Oh, well. I expect I'll use them once in a while and they'll certainly come in handy once the toddler is in kindergarten!!

Toodles.
Old 04-23-03, 01:37 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

I know the feeling

It's extremely hard finding the time to do videos with demanding toddlers, dh and babies around, so the gym for the time being presents a good option.

To throw my two cents worth into the equation as an instructor...it's not seen as good etiquette to substitute different exercises on most occasions whilst the instructor is actually teaching a class.(this is in a group fitness setting) If you can, mention the modifications you'd like to make beforehand, so there is no embarrassment from anyone's perspective. Most instructors are pretty flexible - I am, especially with triceps moves, but I'm especially grateful when a participant alerts me to his/her needs...that way I can cue an alternative and tailor the class to my participants needs.

Hope you have fun!

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 07:47 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Just a suggestion . . . take it or leave it. . .

Hi!

Congrats on your new gym membership. I hope it gives you the peace you need.

I was home with my kids for a few months and would get frustrated about not getting in the workout. I found that doing it before they wake up (yes, getting up at 5:00 am) was my best bet. I felt great all day knowing that I got the workout over with. I didn't do this everyday, but it was great to do it several days a week. Other days, I slept in to catch up on my sleep.

So, if you find that you want to revisit your DVD's along with your gym workouts, consider doing the videos early in the morning.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 08:01 AM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

:)

I know you didn't mean it to be a funny story, but it did bring a smile to my face.

For a person with a father, a husband, a son, and SEVEN brothers, you'd think I'd understand men better. No dice. Here's a woman slinging around weights and a barbell, the television's on, there's music and activity -but he didn't see you??????? :rolleyes: I'm sure he's telling the truth; he DIDN'T see you. But how can that be???? Sigh.....

By the way, I don't mean this as a man-bashing thing. (The aforementioned seven brothers would have my head on a platter if I started THAT!) It's more of a Mars and Venus type thing. I spend a lot of time being honestly confused by the opposite sex.

The toddler WILL go to kindergarten, and that will be a bittersweet day. But if you can remember your fun workouts waiting for you in the cupboard, all will be well In the meantime, use the gym and enjoy. Your tapes/DVDs can fill in on those days when everyone is asleep or safely occupied -in another city

Do keep checking in, though. We want to hear how it's going!

Andrea
Old 04-23-03, 09:01 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

I hear ya!!!!!

It's really really really hard to exercise with little children at home. I can't workout after they go to bed, or before they wake up because of my choice to cosleep with my toddler. Soon I will be able to, as she will be able to stay in bed unattended (with a monitor, but soon = 6 mos, not 'next week').

I have a lot of space, actually - but not really the time. I feel badly about not being with the kids during the short time that we have every evening after work, and before bedtime, that I tend to not want to workout in the basement. I'd rather workout in one of the two main floor TV rooms, but Kalina is still at the "See mommy workout, make her pick me up" age.

Joining a gym is a great solution - it worked great for me.

The children will allow you to workout as they get a little older. My 4yo actually is content to watch Dora while I workout, as long as I make sure sh has the refereshment she needs beforehand.

And yes, the DVDs will be there!!!

Funny - I started working out at home because it was more convenient, and then it became inconvenient after I had the kids!
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 09:14 AM  
Elisa B.
VF Supporter

Oh, Nancy, I hear you! I have thought about joining a gym for essentially the same reason -- kids and DH just can't stay out of my physical and mental space when I'm working out. Not such a big deal if I'm lifting weights, but I just cannot follow along with any kind of choregraphy while someone is talking to me. I've explained to all of them again and again that they may not interrupt me unless there is a fire or someone needs to go to the emergency room, I've tried reasoning with them, I've tried yelling at them, but still they don't get it. They are all old enough to manage on their own for an hour, so it is incredibly frustrating! Especially when the interruptions are things like: "Mom, do we have any milk?" "Mom, do you know where my [fill in the blank] is?" "Do you want to hear something funny that happened in an episode of SpongeBob?" "I'm bored." "I think the cat threw up." Grrrr.

Elisa
Elisa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 01:10 PM  
Nancy N.
VF Supporter

Liz - Thanks for the tip on alerting the instructor, that's really important. I wasn't prepared for triceps work b/c the class was supposed to focus on abs/back/glutes and chest! I felt a little out-of-place when I was doing them, this is going to be a whole new experience after so many years of independence!

Sancho - I wish I could do early early workouts (my hat's off to you!), but I work on the computer in the late evening hours, usually till midnight, and I'm still nursing and co-sleeping (in the process of weaning, I'm ready!!), and so I really need to sleep until 6:30. And even if I could occasionally get up that early, my husband leaves super early so I would be on pins-and-needles wondering if the baby was going to wake up in the middle of my workout.

Andrea - Thanks for the commiseration! And I do associate a sense of humor with the incident. We (teenage son witnessed mom's meltdown, too) all ended up laughing and making fun of my fit when all was said and done - especially the part where I sat on the couch shaking my empty fists as though I was playing maracas! And you're right about the first day of kindergarten - I'll probably cry!

Leela - Everything keeps changing, eh? We have to constantly re-evaluate our game plans! Glad things are working out for you. And, just a note, it's your fault that I bought the Slim Series!! Still in shrink-wrap, of course.

Elisa - Had to laugh at your children's sense of emergencies. While working out amid the chaos you are forced to develop nerves of steel along with muscles of steel!
Old 04-23-03, 01:53 PM  
Andrea
VF Supporter

Hi Nancy,

It's funny...I wish I had a gym nearby to join, and you wish you could work out at home! Although, I wouldn't be able to give up my home workouts.

You may be surprised though, that this stage of your toddler's will pass quicker than you think. Mine is only 2.25 years old and he's gone through many stages! He is just getting to where he'll watch a movie while I workout...but it has to be Toy Story. I tried something else one time and it lasted about 10 minutes!

Enjoy the gym, definitely use the assisted pull-up machine, and let us know how it's going!

Andrea
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 05:34 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Nancy...

LOL about buying the slim series!

About that weaning - how's it going? Kalina hardly nurses in the daytime, UNLESS I pop in a slim series tape.

She does nurse to sleep, and nurses a few times briefly at night.

She's almost 21 mos old.

I'm doing the "Don't offer, don't refuse" method of weaning - ready to be done!
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 11:53 AM  
Nancy N.
VF Supporter

Leela -

It's rough going! He'll be two next week and has a GREAT fondness for tee-tee. I'm hoping to write down our subdued struggle. If I can accomplish this, I'll share it with you.

Take care!!

Tags
gym membership, ymca