Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-23, 09:55 AM  
Megan
VF Supporter

Karen Voight's streaming classes

Hey, sorry if this has been covered here before - I tried searching but didn't find anything.

Last week I came found Karen Voight's streaming site. Here she has her live classes available on demand . There are two classes - BodySculpt and Core & Stretch. She has recordings available going back to August 2021 (over 230 classes in total).

They are a bit pricey for streaming - $12 for Core & stretch (60min) and $15 for Body Scuplt (90 min) and you only get access for 48 hours. But, I was excited to get new workouts from Karen so I decided to try both.

The Core & stretch class I did was different from her description on the home page, but not in a bad way. It was mostly core with some stretching integrated throughout, and a good stretch section at the end. I did this last week and din't take detailed notes, so I can't remember exactly what was in here. There were some interesting exercises and a good variety.

The Body Sculpt class started with an extended warm-up (15 mins). This was long for a warm-up but I found it was getting my heart rate up and there was some standing core work in there as well. Then there was an interesting dynamic stretching section with toning elements (e.g. an extended high lunge sequence). This was really good.

Then we got out the light weights for a mostly upper-body toning section (about 10-15 mins). This was similar to the upper body section in Great Weighted Workout, but with some compound and balance elements. Then there was a heavier weight section, still mostly upper body but with a tough lunge section at the end.

At about the 60 minute mark we moved down to the floor. This section started with upper-body (triceps, still with heavy wegiths). I had to stop at that point for time but skimmed through the rest - this is typical floor work for core & lower body with modern updates and some classic exercises. I'll finish that tonight.

Production values are good for a home recording, and the music was good and loud enough. She is teaching a live class and will call out form pointers to the participants (who you can't see). Cuing and form tips are top-notch, as you would expect from Karen Voight.

Overall I loved both workouts! I'm so happy to have some new content from Karen, one of my favourite instructors. I'll probably try to work these into my routine once a month or so.

If anyone else decides to try these, can you post a breakdown here? I'm curious to see how much variation there is between workouts.

The workouts I did were Core and Stretch January 20 and BodySculpt January 29.
Old 02-01-23, 11:45 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

thanks for the review. I found these recently (like a few weeks ago) but didn't purchase. I wonder if she'll venture into downloads so one could actually purchase a workout.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 12:22 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I'm also a big Karen fan. Are you saying it costs that much just to stream a class one time? That does seem pricey, but I haven't done much streaming of workouts so maybe that is typical.
Old 02-01-23, 01:11 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I'm also a big Karen fan. Are you saying it costs that much just to stream a class one time? That does seem pricey, but I haven't done much streaming of workouts so maybe that is typical.
It's kind of the going rate for single live studio classes....especially a celebrity instructor. I actually know several instructors that charge that much for their Essentrics or yoga classes online (I don't).

I think it's when you want that particular instructor, you know? You're paying for taking a class from them.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 01:45 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
That seems $$$. Most streaming services are a monthly rate for unlimited access to workouts. This is more like taking a private, online class.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 03:14 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
That seems $$$. Most streaming services are a monthly rate for unlimited access to workouts. This is more like taking a private, online class.
I know so many people who are charging that much. Not that I think it is ok. But I have paid $15/class for a local yoga class that was online at that time. Her in person classes are also that much. I know instructors on the east coast, west coast, and in Texas who charge that much, also.

And, I took a class from Erika Vipond (Essentrics and yoga) for $15. I also paid $15 for a class from Natalie Spadaccino a couple times....just because I learn so much from her.

So not unheard of. Karen is a celebrity. You are taking a Zoom class or getting access to a replay.

Kari Anderson also charges quite a bit for her streaming/on demand.

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 02-01-23, 03:43 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I know so many people who are charging that much. Not that I think it is ok. But I have paid $15/class for a local yoga class that was online at that time. Her in person classes are also that much. I know instructors on the east coast, west coast, and in Texas who charge that much, also.

And, I took a class from Erika Vipond (Essentrics and yoga) for $15.

So not unheard of. Karen is a celebrity.

Kari Anderson also charges quite a bit for her streaming/on demand.
Oh, I’m not doubting it’s the norm. I’m just baffled that there are people willing to pay it on a regular basis. Especially when you can pay that same amount per month and have access to unlimited workouts.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 04:08 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

It is pricey, but I might consider it for a special occasion workout.
Old 02-01-23, 04:13 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Oh, I’m not doubting it’s the norm. I’m just baffled that there are people willing to pay it on a regular basis. Especially when you can pay that same amount per month and have access to unlimited workouts.
I agree, and quite honestly I am baffled, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
It is pricey, but I might consider it for a special occasion workout.
That's how I look at it. I would never take these classes regularly, but it is a 'treat".

Old 02-01-23, 04:56 PM  
donnamp

Thanks for posting about this! I would definitely be willing to try one out.

I look at it as taking a class - you don't get to "keep" the class -it would be like going to a studio in person and paying for a class.

It isn't something I would do regularly, it would add up quickly!

But, for an occasional treat it would be nice.

Maybe she will eventually offer a streaming platform where the classes are archived or something - or maybe this is enough for her.

I always wished KV produced more DVDs back in the day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
karen voight, karen voight streaming