Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-23, 10:33 AM  
cyana

Moan-Day Condolences to all who suffer from this affliction! I think I've moaned enough already for all of us and every time I look in my inbox it just gets worse. Ick - pass the Excedrin!

Beth
and Sandra - At least we were at home when we discovered the dead battery and had another vehicle to drive, so it was a minor inconvenience in the greater scheme of life. It could've been much worse had we been out somewhere, although we could've called AAA road service for help. I need to remind DH to try to start the car today and drive it around a bit. He'll probably take it in to get checked out later this week, just to be on the safe side.

It is a lovely sunny morning and not terribly cold. I'm jealously looking at the people out walking!

I told DH to be giving major thought to me picking a retirement date and/or deciding if I want to see if I can cut my hours dramatically after we get the info from the Medicare advisor today about the Medicare supplement and Part D rates. As I'd mentioned previously, our financial advisor says I can do it whenever the mood strikes, but after working since the age of 16, it's definitely difficult to envision life without a regular paycheck. The transition to the smaller company has negatively impacted me in multiple ways as relates to the overall benefits, so the value of remaining at full-time employment isn't as great.

Beth - Are you going to fly into Key West or into Miami and rent a car? We always flew into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, depending on the fares and flight availability (preferring Miami as it was closer) and rented a car. Since we were diving, we stayed between Key Largo and Islamorada (mostly around Islamorada).

Must get back to the slog, as I have something due today that I must get wrapped up.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 11:25 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Happy Monday!

cyana, our plan would be to fly right into Key West. We don't really enjoy renting a car on vacation, and I actually find the idea of crossing all those miles of bridges a bit daunting (though very pretty, I'm sure). Great that you are starting to think about choosing a retirement date!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 11:28 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Margaret's Triple Threat (Lower Body strength work plus abs = 40 minutes)
Jackie's Essentrics class

Beth, I've never been to Key West but I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it!
Sorry about that nasty migraine.

Cyana, I'm laughing at your "geriatric car", LOL!
I will feel relief for you when you retire because you work such long hours every week!

Sandra, until you mentioned it, I had forgotten about the Core Body Balance routine from Powerfit Harmony with Stephanie Huckabee. I'll have to see if I still have that set.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 04:06 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: Body Pump at my gym. I concentrated on keeping my core braced, and went a little bit lighter on the Back segment. Everything went well!

Cyana: When to retire is a big decision, but I haven't regretted mine at all.

Paine: I never used the other workouts in Powerfit Harmony, but I did hang on to the three core-focused ones. They are just 20 minutes, not too hard, have quite a bit of variety, and include balance and back work. Stephanie is a nice lead, too.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 05:30 PM  
cyana

I actually have some good news to report (I know y'all are relieved, LOL!!!) I was feeling MASSIVELY grumpy this morning.

In talking with the Medicare advisor this afternoon, the primary Medicare G supplement plans he recommends for clients in our area are either through United or Anthem. United has a perk that's called Renew Active, which allows you to use various gyms and such in your area. For me, that would include multiple facilities, to include Planet Fitness, LA Fitness, a local gym that's part of our city park system, Workout Anytime, a YMCA, Orangetheory, and up to 4 classes/month at PureBarre. Heck, sign me up for retirement tomorrow, so I can be like Sandra!!! Anthem participates with Silver Sneakers (fewer facilities with some of the same facilities as the Renew Active program as well as some on-line classes). I didn't realize the supplement plans offered those benefits, although I knew the Advantage plans frequently have some extra perks to attract people. What a great return on investment, as people actually have TIME to go to the gym and would be in a position to improve their health and actually reduce the chance of future medical claims. In a crazy world that rarely seems to be based on common sense, this is a major deviation - and a good one, at that! I might even be able to get DH to go with me every now and then, especially after I explained you'd have the option to go when it's less crowded.

And when DH and I calculate out our annual premium cost for Medicare part B, a supplement plan and Rx program, in the event we had to have surgery or be admitted to the hospital (vigorously knocking on wood here), our total out of pocket cost would be less than what it would cost to pay my medical premiums through payroll deduction PLUS all of the out of pocket and deductibles with the high deductible plan (HDHP) that we have. HDHP's are such a disaster for the people who have them, as it has become very clear that many people are putting off medical care because they can't afford the deductibles and out of pocket (OOP).

Sandra - I love Body Pump, so I'm glad your back cooperated so you could enjoy the class today. You've been a retirement inspiration - enjoying an active lifestyle, volunteering and such. I feel a sense of relief today that I really needed to feel after all the stress associated with the change to a smaller company, needing to rush, rush, rush to get on Medicare, dealing with the various snafus, digging for information on benefits, etc.

Beth - If it makes sense for you to fly into Key West, I'd go for it, as it will save you a long drive down the Overseas Highway, the cost of a rental car, multiple tolls, and you should easily be able to get by walking and taking Uber/Lyft. I will say, driving over the 7-Mile Bridge is pretty amazing (and a little scary). I'd love to kayak in the Keys. We were going to go once, but the weather ended up being crappy, so we had to ditch that plan.

Paine - I'll bet you feel good on Mondays, since you usually take Jackie's AM class. I feel better about the prospect of retiring today, so hopefully once we're officially signed up and have confirmation of all our Medicare plans, I'll be ready to have The Big Talk with my boss.

Waves to ALL!

Old 02-07-23, 08:34 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, glad you got some good news when you looked into benefits! I wonder if DH & I would actually save on Medicare. We have a pretty good plan through my job that I pay fairly high premiums for, especially since I had to get the "family" plan for just the two of us (I think health care should be +1, +2, etc. up to maybe 5 or more).

RE Key West, we like just getting there and not having to travel around - that's why cruises work for us because it's the boat that does the moving, haha. But we did book Key West for July. DH is worried about the heat, and it is supposed to be very hot and humid - but we're at a beautiful B&B in a garden like setting, so I figure we can take plenty of afternoon siestas.

Happy Tuesday!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 09:10 AM  
cyana

A quick good morning fly by. It's another beautiful morning, so I'm really, really hoping that work cooperates today so I can get out for a mid-day walk and enjoy some sunshine, fresh air and Mother Nature's Vitamin D. I had to use yesterday's lunch break for the phone call with the Medicare Advisor and had to look out the window enviously at people who were out walking - some in shorts!

Beth - The family coverage thing makes me nuts, too. IMHO, there should always be a rate for EE + 1 versus just single or family. Why should I pay the same premium as someone with 5 kids???? It is hot and humid in the Keys, so I'd try to get out in the mornings to do your active "stuff" and do exactly what you mentioned - chilling out for an afternoon siesta at your B&B. You could also save any museum-type trips for the afternoon and take advantage of their A/C. Hopefully your B&B has some hammocks or comfy lounge chairs in the shade for reading or snoozing. If we didn't dive all day (typically a 2 dive morning boat trip, another one in the afternoon most days and at least one or two night dives over the course of the week - we were pretty hard core), we'd go out in the mornings and come back to our hotel, have a leisurely lunch and take a nap during the hottest part of the day.

Time to get back to this spreadsheet. Waves to ALL!

Old 02-07-23, 10:11 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Morning all! Catching up a little:

Friday:
~ Improved Health Easy Gentle 13 Minute Walk
~ 7,159 steps

Saturday:
~ Introduction to the Chakras, my grandniece's first workshop at the yoga studio; otherwise a total rest day
~ 5,041 steps

Sunday:
~ GYM for 30 recumbent bike and 20 arc trainer
~ 5,580 steps

Monday: total rest day; 3,642 step

I'm so proud of Char. She did a wonderful job with her first studio workshop and made an impressive handout, too. My only other news is getting a steroid injection in my hip yesterday. Honestly, my PA was wonderful and I barely felt it. My hip is very sore though. Today I start the second round of PT at my preferred place. I asked him point blank if I'll ever be able to sit cross legged in yoga again and he was quite confident of it. In how many months, who knows.

Cyana, I hope you get out for that walk today, you sure deserve it. Thank you for reporting on your Medicare venture. I have to say, the news sounds positive! So when do we start admiring your new Sandra type fitness schedule?

Beth, you took a cruise! How fun.

Sandra, good news about your barre class achievements.

I'm hopelessly behind everyone and haven't read below the posts I can see. Please have a wonderful day!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 11:12 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Deep Stretch Yin Yoga with Mimi Solaire (Back Stretches practice)

Pat, I think you'll be able to sit cross legged in yoga again.

I'm waving to everyone!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 12:46 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning mat mavens!

I’m playing catch up….

Saturday
~Foot/calf exercises & stretches + foot acupressure
~beach walkabout, 12,869 steps
~Joelle’s 45 min zoom yin yoga practice

Sunday
~12 min Tank Top Arms (YT)
~fitbymik 15 Minute Standing Booty Band (YT)
~2 long walks, 19,275 steps
~Foot/calf exercises & stretches + foot acupressure

Monday
~Yoga class under the palm trees by the beach
~the usual foot stuff
~two Waikiki walkabouts, 12,763 steps

Beth - We went to Key West back around 1980. I remember it was fun and very pretty. We drove down the Keys from Miami & it was very picturesque. I get not wanting a rental car, it’s one of many reasons we like Waikiki.

Pat - Sounds like your preferred PT has you on the right track. Wishing you a complete recovery! It’s been a long haul for you, (((hugs))).

Sandra - Glad your back is better.

Cyana - Sounds like you’re getting serious about retirement planning. Like Sandra, we have no regrets about taking the retirement plunge.

Hi Paine!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote