Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-23, 05:56 PM  
michl43

Question OT DIY pedicure over 60 / strained back

I’m 62, and have been doing my own pedicures (just filing and trimming, but it takes at least 20 min or more) sitting on floor. This weekend I strained my lower back from the bending involved. Just wondering is there a safe position such sitting on chair figure-four or another way so I could start doing it safely, or should I just go to a professional?
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 11:22 AM  
michl43

I’m guessing I should just get pedicures or try to not bend so long if I do it myself
Old 01-03-23, 11:39 AM  
donnamp

I would suggest maybe not bending over for so long - like maybe do one foot, then stand up - do some back bending/extension exercises - then go back and do the other foot. Then if you do polish - do the same thing - one foot at a time or 3 toes at a time or something like that. It was probably the prolonged leaning forward that did you in.

I have noticed that my flexibility and mobility is going down the drain - so I have to keep up with that type of work to retain what I still have!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 12:43 PM  
michl43

Thanks
Old 01-03-23, 02:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Try laying on your side on the floor, and do the pedicure in that position. switch sides as needed.

when i was pregnant, this was the modification I did for abs and pilates moves to avoid pressure on the back and that artery that supplied all the goodies to the fetus.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 02:37 PM  
michl43

Thanks
Old 01-03-23, 10:22 PM  
BunnyHop

I've just begun investigating this sort of thing myself.

I've started using Dazzle Dry polishes, and they are quick dry and long lasting. Not cheap, since you need to buy the whole system to use them, but the longevity alone has me convinced.

Next time I do my nails, I plan to also do my toes (for the first time in a long time). The quick drying times should be a help.

Another issue for me is not sitting on the floor. I do much better if I sit in a chair and prop my foot up on something, higher than hip level. Easier to see, less struggle to maintain the position, and less awkward all around.
Old 01-03-23, 10:44 PM  
michl43

Thanks. I’ll definitely try that, and also a chair sitting figure four might work while also getting a stretch

Tags
off topic, off-topic