Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-31-23, 07:08 AM  
dlb

Good morning!!

Yesterday was a workout bust.. Started working at 7 AM & stopped at 630 PM. I don't mean to make it sound like I work non-stop. Believe me, I take lots of mini breaks throughout the day

Pat – I hear you on the retiring & house stuff. Over the past 2 years, we did major stuff on the outside. Now it is the inside that I’d like to work on. Our house is 100 years old & the basement is unfinished. It is not big but more than I want to maintain when I do retire.

There was nudity in the Blonde movie, just in case...

Diane – Do let us know how you like Hello Fresh – my son & grandson live with us but within the next couple of years they WILL be on their own. If my son wasn't here, we would waste a lot as well

Donna – I’ll have to check out “Improved Health”. I think we have similar tastes.

Good morning to Beth & Summer Breeze

Have a nice day everyone..

Debbie
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 09:09 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was a nice day so my DD and I took our Golden on a longer walk. I added on a short Yoga w/ Joelle in the evening.

Today so far:

Improved Health - Day 1 - 7 day Interval Program. It was from this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fa42ZHVbLNzXVa

I think I'll work my way through that playlist for a bit. Today's workout included a long warm-up/steady walk followed by 5 rounds of 1 min fast walk/run and 2 min lower impact/slower paced intervals. For the fast walk/run intervals, I actually pulled out the top of my Fanny Lifter and did some basic step moves. I don't want to run in place - the impact isn't great fore me, but the step allows me to get my HR up higher w/out impact. Anyway, I am really enjoying these workouts - they are easy to "make your own". This one was music only (your typical pop-stuff you hear on You Tube these days) no talking.

Yoga w/ Joelle - 10 Day Morning Yoga Challenge Day # 1 - I enjoyed this one!

I'm going to do the Improved Health strength training routine later today. It is lower body and I figure that I can do it more justice by doing it on its own. It is only 15 min so I'll either get it in at lunch or after work.

Random comments....

- We have also done a ton of work on our house. It started w/ the outside, painting and re-paving our driveway, then we did a massive plumbing project (re-piped the whole house), then painting, then 2 bathrooms. On tap for this year is one more bathroom and the roof. It is never ending. I would like to do something in our kitchen...but DH is resisting. I'll have to work on him. Size-wise our house would be ok for us in retirement - it isn't a huge house, but we have an acre of property and a fairly long driveway. We could pay someone to take care of it - and that would be no worse than moving into a condo or townhome w/ an HOA or other fee. But we have to drive everywhere here and I would like to live in a walk-able town/small city. But my DD probably has 3 years of undergrad left. She is technically a sophomore, but she has taken a rather meandering path so I think her undergrad is going to take 5 years to complete. And then, hopefully vet school and hopefully the Virginia-Maryland vet school so she can get in-state tuition. we shall see....lots of moving parts.
And our cars are elderly - we actually have four of them - 2 from 2008 and 2 from 2013. One of the cars belonged to my mom and we kept it. One of the 2008's is on its last legs - it runs fine, but the frame is rusting out and it is $1,200 to fix it and that is about the worth of the car. Anyway - some type of new vehicle is in the cards for us as well. If we do eventually move to a walk-able place DH and I should be able to manage w/ one car between us when we are retired.

- Re: Hello Fresh - I want to try something like that - none of us in the family enjoy grocery shopping - and we never really have a good plan about what to eat. We do go through a fair amount of produce. My mission in January was to eat a salad a day and I pretty much did - I mean I missed some days but the majority of the time I did eat a salad a day.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 09:33 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Happy last day of January. We're having some wet snow but it's already petering out. My yesterday:

~ SeniorShape 10 Minute Cardio Warmup
~ Bird 15 Minute Stress Relief Yoga
~ 5,688 steps

Debbie, You're allowed to have a workout bust day. . Our house is also 100. There's so much I want to do with it, but when the time comes we just may end up selling it to a flipper rather than putting so much money into it now. We both have severe arthritis and the reality is we probably couldn't keep up with landscaping, stairs, etc.

Donna, I bet your Golden was happy with the longer walk. I'm looking forward to reading about your seven day interval program if you decide to commit. That piping project sounds massive! DH has been going through our place pipe by pipe since we moved in almost 30 years ago. Good job maintaining your investment.

Well good morning to Summer Breeze, Beth and Diane!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 09:50 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Yesterday:

47 minute outdoor walk

It felt like spring out there yesterday but we had a little brief snow this morning which melted already. I have a salon appt this morning for a color and blow out so probably no walking today to mess it up.
Maybe a MR day.

I'm still up in the air on selling the house.
It just needs too much work and I'm not in a financial position to keep up with it anymore but where to go? That's the million dollar question.

DONNA, nice workout. I need to look into Improved Health.

PAT, nice workout for you too.

Waves to everyone! Gotta run.

Have a great day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 09:56 AM  
amoodygirl

Good morning!

Well, Angel’s dad had part one of the surgeries yesterday and so far, so good. Hopefully he will be home today or tomorrow. Next surgery is the gall bladder removal. We went to Great Barrington yesterday to do our food shopping and then I cooked our first Hello Fresh – a vegetarian Moroccan Stew and it was yummy! Interesting that if I had seen this recipe I wouldn't have considered it but having all the ingredients at hand and measured is such a plus! The house still smells wonderful!

Today’s workout:
  • Les Mills Body Step 54
  • Pushups
  • Yoga with Kassandra’s 10 minute low back stretch

Pat: Re: Super Bowl! I am a lifelong Giants and Jets fan (met Joe Namath when the Jets’ training camp was at Hofstra University on Long Island - I was 12 or 14!) and just enjoy the game, although I wish it weren’t so brutal. I’m rooting for the Chiefs – something I like about Mahomes. It’s going to be a great matchup! Love my new yoga room. We went out last night and I bought a lamp as I’m now studying the Tao Te Ching so candlelight wasn’t sufficient. It’s really shaping up! Now have to hang pictures, etc. Good workouts!

Debbie: Wow, what a long day. Hello Fresh – first one was great!!! The difficulty is my husband has a huge appetite (6’1” and never been overweight – unfair!) so for last night I made some extra Basmati rice which did the trick. I always tell him if I were tall, I would never have to worry about what I eat! Again, UNFAIR!

Donna: I’m with you – I wish we lived in a walkable community. We are between two large shopping areas – Saratoga Springs and Clifton Park, both of which are overcrowded. I read that our county, Saratoga, is the fastest growing county in the upstate area. It seems we discover beautiful areas and the same happens. Long Island, San Diego and now Saratoga. We are talking about a 55+ community that is designed to be walkable. I’m also looking for better healthcare. Massachusetts has some of the best healthcare in the country, especially close to Boston. But, again, it’s crowded. Sigh…. I think I can sum up Hello Fresh better after using it for a full month. I HATE food shopping! DH loves it but never seems to get out there and do it! Argh…..

Summer Breeze: It’s a very tough decision to sell and move. The problem is there’s so much cost involved in house maintenance. I want a warmer climate but Florida is out, California has water and fire issues, as does most of the Southwest. I would like to only own one car. I’m still doing a lot of research. What is helping me is making a Yay/Nay list – what we want, what we don’t want. I don’t like this adult nonsense! Enjoy your salon visit!

Waves to Beth!

I hope everyone has a great day. We’re in for a cold snap.

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 08:06 AM  
amoodygirl

Good morning!

We’re under a wind chill watch right now. The temps have dropped significantly and the wind chills may go into the -30s at some point. Yikes! Hoping to get through February without any major storms.

Yesterday afternoon I added a Bad Yogi Perfect Body Upper Body practice and Body Electric Abs

Today’s workout:
  • Margaret’s Sculpture Upper Body I - hit all the major upper body muscles
  • Sciatica Yoga practice (Lesley Fightmaster)

I will most likely add another yoga practice this afternoon. I'm so enjoying my room. However, yesterday my DH, thinking he was being funny, came around the house with 2 of my stuffed animals and was knocking on the window. Since I was wearing headphones, I thought it was the heating system banging. I got up and opened the door and yelled at him! I know he was being funny but when you're in the flow of yoga, don't do that! Silly man....

Not much else going on – hope everyone has a wonderful hump day!

Diane
Old 02-01-23, 09:17 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was a dreary, wet day so no dog walk. Although I did add on the Day #2 strength workout from Improved Health - it was lower body and pretty mild! I added on a Jessica Valent floor routine.

Today, I was in the mood for Ellen - so I did Lengthen, Strengthen and Breathe

At some point today I will add on the Improved Health weight workout for the day and a walk of some type - maybe indoor, maybe outdoor.

We actually had a dusting of snow!

On the house front - I am pretty sure we are never going to get the money we invested into our house back. But, it is much nicer now to live in - the pipes were always leaking and always at the worst time - the final straw was having a major leak on a Thursday night and having a plumber here at 9:00 p.m. Our bathrooms were also quite dismal. So they needed work and painting and such just need to be done from time to time - along w/ our driveway falling apart. So, some of it is just required maintenance and some was "upgrade" but I doubt we will see the money we put into it. But, we also aren't going anywhere right away so it is nice to have it be upgraded for daily living. I figure I have 5-6 years left to work.

All that being said, I would love to re-do the kitchen, but that is going to be a hard sell to DH. And, if we are leaving, I'm not sure if it makes sense or not.

Diane - ugh, I'd be mad at my DH if he interrupted my yoga zen!

Summer Breeze - hope you enjoyed your salon appointment! it is hard to know where to go - you want to live near family/friends, but so many places are just too expensive to live on a fixed income.

waves, everyone!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 12:01 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning everyone! I had a terrible night of insomnia, freaking out legs and foot cramps. That's very unusual for me since I began taking CBD, I hope it was a freak incident. Anyway:

~ An old Body Electric
~ Kassandra's Yin Yoga Without Props
~ 4,802 steps

I loved the yin practice but will incorporate a block next time.

Summer Breeze - we're grappling with those same thoughts. For right now I'm just focusing on crisis to crisis, i.e,. new oil tank when the old one began leaking, fixing siding after a leak, etc. Have a good time at your hair appointment!

Diane, your yoga room sounds wonderful, I wish you many peaceful hours in it. How fun that you met Namath! My mother was working at Hospital for Special Surgery in NY when he had his knee operations. She wasn't his nurse, but got to briefly meet him when he went around visiting all the kids in the hospital. He was super nice to everyone. Stay warm, not looking forward to Friday-Saturday.

Donna, good workouts for you. It's definitely worth it for you to be living in a house that you enjoy. Good luck selling the kitchen - maybe prices will start to regulate a little, knock on wood.

Good morning Beth and Debbie!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 08:18 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,
I got behind with work things from traveling last week, so this week has been doing a lot of catch-up.

The Hello Fresh does sound interesting! I also want to start making healthier food choices, but sometimes it feels I get so busy with work distractions, team meetings, etc., to the point where I only have a few minutes for lunch. By the time dinner comes around, I'm too tired to think about making anything that's involved.

On Monday, I did Hamelin Cardiotone. It was low impact, but I burned quite a bit of calories! I'm kind of enjoying him right now. I like the workouts in front of the barre, and I also like he has a rotation so I don't have to think about pulling different workouts together. I do plan to pull in a strength workout here and there.

Tonight, I am trying Hamelin Tone. He's playing classical music and it seems like a soothing workout.

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-23, 09:51 AM  
amoodygirl

Good morning,

We slept in this morning – 7 am! Unheard of! The weather has turned bitterly cold so probably not too much outdoor activity today, other than taking out the trash. Angel’s dad, Scott, is home from the hospital. Without getting too graphic, he’s full of drains, etc. and still in pain but he had a very noisy roommate at the hospital and the family never let up – yelling at each other, etc. I’ve been there. People are so damn obnoxious and inconsiderate. It’s a freaking hospital – how can one get better???

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I did a wonderful Kassandra practice:
30 min Beginner Yoga - Therapeutic Hips & Lower Back DEEP STRETCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybgqdffxrQE&t=583s

This was wonderful and probably why I slept so well last night. Made our second Hello Fresh – a black bean soup but I made it into more of a chili by adding vegan crumbles. Delish!!!!

Today’s workout:
  • Elliptical workout – using one of Sunny Health’s You Tube workouts
  • Pushups
  • Sciatica Stretch

Donna: That’s the problem with renovations and upgrading our homes. We may be here for a couple more years. I want to add a whole house generator, which may or may not add to the value of the house. So trying to justify the cost is tough. My friend is a realtor and she doesn’t believe it adds to the value but it does add to peace of mind. How long have you lived in the house? That’s a lot of work but so much was necessary.

Pat: Oh man, I hope the insomnia and cramps were a one-off. Still, you managed to get your workout in so good on you! I had a friend in 8th grade who was, shall we say, a little promiscuous and was hell bent on meeting the backup quarterback for Namath. We met him as well, Richard Todd, but he was not at all interested in a 14 year old, thankfully! It was a fun day! Namath was very nice to his fans but, to be honest, his Medicare commercials drive me up the wall! LOL!

Beth: I never clicked early on with Hamelin but never say never! I will revisit at some point. Hello Fresh has been a hit here. I’m only on my first week but both meals so far have been yummy. It does take a bit of prep work and cleanup, though. I’ll keep everyone posted.

Hi to Summer Breeze and Debbie! Have a great day!!!!

Diane