Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-30-23, 01:15 PM  
horusosiris

Happy Monday to All!

I predicted the winner in all of the football games. I am hoping that Patrick and KC wins!

Kate- So glad that you had good news

Chel- hope your husband improves soon

Bee- how did the covid scare turn out?
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 04:49 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello all!

Workouts:

1/28 Amy Bento Body Box Cardio Only premix. This was a good workout but would have been even better had her cuing, not, well, sucked. She repeated the easy moves at the beginning of each combo ad infinitum, then combined 3 or 4 moves together that turn around, etc. at the speed of light or so it seemed. **sigh** I guess I need to do her workouts more often so I remember the combos. Anyway I followed it with Chris Dorner's On the Mark, Set, Hiit as a finisher.

1/29 Ripped with HiiT Back Bis Shoulders. With any luck, my arms will not fall off today or tomorrow. This one worked my biceps in particular very hard. I suppose this means I need to go back to a heavier weight regimen so I don't lose what strength gains I have made. I was trying to hold off a bit in anticipation of STS 2. I followed this with a second go at Chris Dorner's 20 minute fat burning step that she released as one of her shorter workouts around Christmas. Good finisher and I liked her red and green checked holiday themed leggings. She chatted a lot. Sometimes it annoys me more than other times.

So manley's comment about Chalene reminded me that I need to throw some of her cardio into the mix. She does chat, but Chalene's is more of an "OC" type vibe and the "class" reflects that as well, whereas Chris has a more of a down to earth vibe. JMHO of course. They both have their places in my pantheon of workouts.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 05:04 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm back!

horusosiris, I had the teams I *wanted* to win the AFC and NFC, and then the ones I *thought* would win. I'm rooting for the Eagles for a very non football reason (other than the fact that they have a jail at the stadium-how cool is that lol). I absolutely despise the chant that the Chiefs fans do. EDIT-realize original post controversial. Anyway I can see why as a Dallas fan that you would find it tough to root for the Eagles. I couldn't root for the Bengals, Browns, or, may the Lord strike me dead, the Devil Ravens. I have no dog in this fight so I just hope it's a good game, nobody gets hurt, and the commercials are entertaining.

Chele, after I posted I remembered that you said your DH had an MRI that didn't reveal anything helpful. And he is sick too! Poor guy! Hope he feels better soon. The movie you saw about Elvis reminded me of a story I just read where a guy bought a table decoration that was the head of Elvis and the body of a turkey and it has now become a family tradition to display it every year! I simply cannot imagine what said combination looks like.

Ugh! Moby is obviously back but has to fly (swim?) for now....Hugs and waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 01-30-23, 08:39 PM  
Mickey12

Hey Watulans,

Cataddict I did Amy’s Body Box yesterday. I had never done it before and I didn’t like it. I found the combos odd and not very fun. The body weight and weight intervals were hard and some felt like an injury waiting to happen. I didn’t even like the music. I only made it through half of the workout and quit.

Then tonight I wanted to do her first Advanced Step Challenge to see how it compared to her more recent step workouts I have been doing recently. I had done this one before but not in years. So, I was also disappointed in this one. I did about 15 minutes and then put in Cathe’s original IMAX since it was mentioned here lately. I did the first half and stopped but it was so much more enjoyable than the Amy Bento workouts I have done of late.

We haven’t watched any football all season so nothing to add there. I’m not sure if we will even watch the Super Bowl.
Old 01-30-23, 11:17 PM  
ChelePA

Just popping in so I don’t forget. I know many of you enjoy documentaries. The Swimmers on Netflix was very good. Both my husband and I really liked it. Very inspiring!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 08:29 AM  
Mickey12

Good morning!

Today I did KCM Trim Down and ooooh it was fun! Thank you to Cataddict for gifting this to me! When this and Shape Up were released I didn't buy them because I didn't think I would like workouts with just Kelly and no background exercisers. It didn't bother me at all. Both 30 minute workouts had the same format of 1 minute of weight moves and 1 minute of boxing. I really liked the music which was geared for each section of either boxing drills or the weights and it was some of the really old music that Cathe used in the Rhythmic Step era.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 01-31-23, 09:03 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hi gals!!
Sad news that Cindy Williams died. I watched Laverne and Shirley religiously!

Workouts continue. I'm getting a few barre workouts so will add those in.

Mon: Live 314 PHA Supersets. Super fun! A bit different. Instead of moving between ONE upper and lower, you do Supersets of TWO each. It was good. Two sets of 8 exercises each. I repeated each set to make a longer workout (43 min).

Today shooting for more Live. I'll be back!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 09:24 AM  
ChelePA

Kim…I really like that format you described. Sounds like a good one.

Kate…also loved Tuesday nights TV line up.

Bee…how is everyone feeling?

Cataddict…love your reason for picking the Eagles. Haha. I’m just excited for the Super Bowl party because my nephew is coming in from Poland. He’s been gone 9 months. It was quite unexpected that he’s allowed to come visit because originally it was supposed to be 12 to 18 months before he could return. And my niece will also be coming in from out of state to see him and celebrate her 30th birthday. Fingers crossed… Nothing changes.

Decided to give CDorner Fitness another try. I saw that she was releasing a low impact 30 minute step for beginners as the first part of her progression series. I guess she’ll do an intermediate one Wednesday and then advanced one later in the week. I pulled out the topper, since this looked very simple. Absolutely perfect for me to get back on the step. You ladies would find it boring Good music too! Plus there was a Michele in her live audience, and every time she called out and encouraged her, I felt like she was talking to me. Ha ha. It was a nice warm up for Peloton upper body work and core that followed.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 11:09 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello all!

Yesterday was a goldie oldie of Chris Dorner-#62 "Fun Music Step Int/Advanced." Well, again I see how she has changed her approach. In this one she did the combo slow after describing it, whereas later on she would do the move first, then do it slow. I much prefer seeing what the finished elements look like together, then I can either do the steps slowly or the entire progression. I usually try to do the whole part at tempo and practice getting it right. Don't know if I explained what I mean in a way that makes sense! Not enough sleep last night! I also notice that her chatting seems to be during the whole workout instead of just the warmup in the earlier workouts. I can tolerate the shoutouts more easily if they are mostly confined to the warmup. When she answers comments throughout sometimes it confuses me and I miss some cuing. Oh, one more thing, this one was interrupted by ads in the middle! Argh!!

Chele, Chris did an "a" "b" and "c" version of a workout before and I thought it was a great idea! I had already had it in my head to do the "c" version when she does it later this week. Funny that you perk up when you hear your name---I hear my name as well and do the same thing! I'm glad you liked it!

Kate, you are rocking the Lives! I have to throw one of them in again. I've been trying to broaden my horizons and use different instructors more frequently, with mixed results.

Kim, IIRC the group of DVDs that Amy Bento released together weren't all that well received--at least on VF. They were Body Box, ASC5 and Drop Sets. I haven't done Drop Sets in awhile either. I think Amy is very talented. I'm wondering if editing made her workouts hard to follow. I know there was pressure on instructors not to do much repetition as the home audience was going to allegedly be doing the workouts many times, but really, there needs to be some or it's just frustration. Glad you liked Trim Down--have you tried Shape Up? These two were good releases, IIRC.

bee, thinking about you---between family illness, the weather and trying to work all at the same time you have your hands full!

manleym, did you ever find a hair tool that worked for you? So frustrating trying to make baby fine hair cooperate---and don't even get me started as to what it looks like when I first get up in the morning.

Yikes! Today the boys are out of school and I'm on pizza delivery duty! Gotta run! Hugs!

Old 01-31-23, 05:00 PM  
manleym

Kim and ChelePA CCountdown is Callanetics Countdown. There are 3 levels on the dvd and Lacey recommends doing level 1 days 1-5, level 2 days 6-15, and level 3 16-30. Or something like that. I combined levels 1 & 2 because neither seems enough on their own, but are nice combined, at least for me. Kittybug jumped straight to level 3 cuz she's just that good, but I wanted to "follow" Lacey's recommended time frame to see if I notice any differences/changes. And I've heard level 3 is HARD, so I'm scared! Kittybug is the expert and pro at Callenetics. She rocks!

Football last Sunday!! What games!!! BOTH of them were amazing and crazy, for very different reasons!! The wheels fell off the 9ers and they just.couldn't.keep.up....Hubby predicted (said - "you heard it here first") that the 9ers would use McCaffrey as the quarterback and they did for a few plays. Then a tight game between KC and Cincinnati. To the wire! I'm rootin' for KC to win the SB.

Horusosiris fun that you can say "called it!" on both games! I thought the Eagles and KC would win, so I "half called it." Also pulling for KC.

Bee I hope everyone is doing well and have the covid scare behind you. I read recently that on May 11 the gov't will end covid as a public health emergency. Curious to see what this will look like - no more testing, etc? Hubby's boss has covid. First time he's had it. Awhile back he rode 12 hours in a car with his wife who had it, and he didn't get it then. He started feeling badly Saturday and testing positive Sunday. Weird how/where/when people get it. Hope all is well with you.

Kate I was also sad to hear of Cindy Williams' passing. That was a great TV era. Glad you have more barre workouts coming your way! Let us know what you get, in case I need to FOMO! HA!

Cataddict good distinction between Charlene and Chris's chatiness. Well said. Charlene is definitely staged and scripted, whereas Chris is not. Ugh on the hair - haven't really found (or tried to find) a solution. I am wearing my ponytail lower so it doesn't pull so much and I've adjusted where I place my barretts, hoping my hair won't pull and break. I also changed out the towel I use as a mat while working out. Previously I used a microfiber towel I got when I belonged to the gym but thought that could be contributing to my hair breaking since the towel grabs and doesn't really allow for much movement. I switched to a cotton-ish towel and it seems to have a bit more give when I'm rolling my head around (not really, but you get the idea.) Hoping that will help some.

ChelePA thanks for the Swimmers recommendation. I'll add that to our watchlist. We're watching Ken Burn's documentary on Prohibition. It's been interesting learning where some terms like "bootlegger" originated. So in "honor" of watching this Prohibition documentary, hubby had an old-fashioned and I had a glass of red wine. HA! Speaking of hubby's, how is yours feeling? So frustrating when you don't feel well and all the results come back as not seeing anything. Been there...hope ya'll get some results soon and he gets over this. So exciting that your nephew and niece will be coming in town in a few weeks! I know you can't wait to see them! YAY! I'm glad you tried Chris again! She really is a ton of fun. Fun that she acknowledges a Michelle! She refers to a Kathy Campbell often, and my ears perk up because I worked with a Kathy Campbell at the start of my career.

Kim Trim Down is one of my favorite KCM workouts. Also like Shape Up. Have you tried Fitness Ladder yet? Good to know about Amy's workouts. I don't seem to reach for them often (don't have BBox or ASC 5) and I think it's the cueing. That's one of the reasons I like Chris Dorner so much. Her choreography can be complex, but she is such a good cuer it's each to catch on.

We're iced in here. Came in Monday night and will be around a few days. No school today or tomorrow. Not putting a toe, nose, anything outside for a few days. Reading, working out, watching TV is on my agenda. Cataddict how did pizza duty go?

Everyone stay safe! I know we're not the only ones dealing with bad weather!
manleym is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in