Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-15-23, 11:47 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Happy belated Valentine's Day to you both!

I finished my workout week on Sunday with Epic 3 Day 20, dumbbell HIIT and it wasn't that bad actually! I didn't go all out, and used either 4s or 6s pounds for the work (she was using about 9#). Given how exhausted I've been I was glad to have kept up with it.

With that said, once I got the idea in my head to stop dong weight lifting and pivot to easier, more rejuvenating work, I could not get it out of my head (original plan was to wait another 6 weeks til Epic 3 was complete) so I decided to just give myself relief now. I plan to do something like this:

Wednesdays-easier/shorter Firm workout
Thursdays-easier/shorter barre workout
Fridays-whatever I want but probably a combo of cardio/abs/stretch
Saturdays-harder/longer Firm workout or Cathe if I'm feeling adventurous
Sundays-harder/longer barre workout

Today I did an easier/shorter Firm, Firm Basics Sculpting with Weights with Tracie, and it was exactly the right thing. I was energized, still modified up (I mean, it's such an easy workout) but not too touch and feel great now. No dread or anything and I'm still feeling pretty exhausted from the funeral last Sunday and work stuff.

I don't know what an easier/shorter barre means to me right now, generally likely to do mostly Pure Barres but they aren't on the easier side, but I'll just have to see how I feel tomorrow. Lots of great harder/longer Firm and barre workouts to choose from for the weekend though.

Eventmom Haha yes sometimes TA gets to be enough, or really anyone if you do it for long enough. I absolutely adore Caroline but I did reach my burnout point I guess. Also, I have developed that puffy/tired/hungry feeling like I've been overtraining and just need to take a break from the heavy lifting. And it's not Caroline's fault but life is just too hectic to really push it right now. I think lighter workouts are right for now in my life.

Buzzer Wow great job on your continued runs and I love hearing about these Dove workouts. Now that you've done two, would you say they are Firm-like? Also, how is the music if there is any? I've thought about getting them for years. It sounds like they are real winners!
Old 02-15-23, 05:11 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

margaret richard all my best volume 3a + some of the fitprime just right cardio - it was a freebie with another fitprime purchase on totalfitness dvd. the fp is not a must have sort of a walking workout really with some push ups at the end. lots of stretching.

ebianco - the TA workouts led by her trainers while she had her baby I totally forgot about, probably on purpose. I'll get back to them at some point but right now with running out to the barn, trying to get my campus office packed up I need that chill vibe and dang margaret made me sore!!! given all you've been through some 'easier' workouts seem to make sense. A little recovery is in order.

buzzer - well hope you are okay. We are 73 degrees today but when I head out to the barn at 7:30 am the wind chill will be 10 so I guess you have the cold that is heading our way. stay warm!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 12:03 PM  
Buzzer

Ran with the trainer... DONE!
Dove workout #1 again.. DONE!

I ran on valentines day, four 5 minute runs with a 1 minute walk. I ran at 4.8 mph, and walked at 3. I did a little over 2.5 miles total. I kept the incline down under 4%. There was one point in a run the incline he did was 17%! I totally skipped that one. I did -3%. HAHA!! he can ask me to run for 5 minutes (20 minutes total), but he cannot expect me to do it basically on a super steep hill or stairs!!

Yesterday I took the day off. "We" had a kid party on V day so parents could have a night off and go out to eat or whatever. It ended up that LB woke up with a head cold, so I made elderberry syrup, plus some chicken soup. Then I had to go to Costco for the food for the kid party. Then I got home, DH wasn't home, and it was getting close to when kids would be here, so I went out to the garage and cleared out the space for the kids. There was boxes and bins and all sorts of things covering the area, and blocking where the movie would be projected. Then I went into the house and move all of the bins from the middle of the living room, where they are making me insane, and put stuff in bins and moved them to the laundry room. Then I cleaned the house a bit. Then kids started showing up... so I cut up veggies, made a dip, and brought it out to the garage for the kids and LB. THEN, I ran inside and made the nuggets I bought... other kids showed up. I took the food out to the garage, then a neighbor showed up to chat. I chatted with her a bit... in my messy house. I had to explain I was working on the laundry room/pantry and we are not hoarders.

DH started the movie, so I went out when the neighbor left and popped popcorn. It started snowing, and since I didn't know where all the ice was and I didn't want kids slipping on their way to the house if they had to use the restroom, I kept going out and sweeping away a path to the house from snow. I did that about 4 or 5 times. Popped more popcorn. Got drinks for LB. Snuggled LB because although she was sick, DH still wanted to go on with the movie night. Afterwards, when the kids were being picked up, I cleaned up the popcorn, drinks, nuggets, and moved everything back to the house.. then cleaned the kitchen, put away the chicken soup, all the leftover food from the kids.... you get the idea. I was NON. STOP.

Anyhow, I got out to the garage for one last trip of stuff to bring in after the party, and DH and LB are watching TV. I have been running all stinking day, and they basically hung out the whole time. DH was on his phone for the whole kid party and his big responsiblity was setting up chairs and starting the movie. I lost it. DH got mad at me for losing it.

So I decided to take yesterday off. I did some school with LB, I made meals, but I didn't workout, I didn't do much of anything. We watched some movies on TV. I was just done.

Today I did Dove 1 again. I do love that workout! Ebianco: I can see how people compared it to the firm, because it is non stop and some of the moves are the same. I would say it's similar to the firm? But not really Firm like. It is cardio with weights, but not at the same time. I would say more like Great Weighted Workout with some cardio thrown in. #1 is pushup and ab heavy! She does step ups like the Firm. No heavy weights, all light weights. I don't know. I would definitely say more GWW.

I really like it though! Today I brought my weights up to 5 lbs each, and it was still doable. I could honestly go up to 8 lbs and I think I'd be fine. She is just non stop though, like the Firm!!

Eventmom; we got snow! I don't think I have left the house for more than LB's Spanish class on Monday. We have about 8" of snow from yesterday. Today is supposed to be warmer, then another snow coming through next week. Hopefully I will get out today. LB has horse lessons, so there's that we have to do today!

My best laid plans are not really going well. LB has a head cold, the snow and cold, the house is a disaster again, just when I felt like it was finally feeling better... I just feel like everything is falling apart. I need to figure out how to pull it all together again!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-23, 12:39 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I've been taking it much easier with exercise this week, still feel very exhausted but I'm hoping that will let off over the next few days?

Thursday I was especially tired and really wasn't up to exercising. I ended up just walking on the treadmill for 50 minutes, then tacked on the 10 Minute Solution Pilates stretch chapter to make it an hour. That was really all I felt I could do, and I sure did love that stretch chapter.

Yesterday I remembered how much I loved the stretch from Thursday, that I decided to just do 10 Minute Solution Pilates - abs, 1/2 legs, total body, and stretch chapters for a 35 minute workout. It was just so great and rejuvenating. This was my first workout video ever (in fact I originally had it on VHS) and I used to do it every day, sometimes repeated chapters to make it a 60 or 70 minute workout before I started seeking harder workouts and found VF. Anyway, I can see now why I did it every day, it just feels great!

Today I can tell I worked some neglected muscles in my torso from the pilates yesterday, but also refreshingly not very sore at all. Today I returned to the Firm with Volume 1, the whole thing and used 12 pounds for my heavy weights (except the chest flies I used 20s), used the rebounder for the "running" cardio, and 8# for medium weight, used 1.5# ankle weights for the mat work which felt so easy at first...then it REALLY became very rapidly hard all of a sudden and I had to skip reps, hahaha! Anyway it was terrific. Wow my heart rate was up and yes, buzzer talk about non-stop, it was great but wow yes I'm not used to non-stop anymore!

My original plan was to do a Pure Barre tomorrow but I'm a little concerned my legs will be too sore! I'll just have to see how I feel.

Eventmom oh yeah I forgot about the guest trainers in TA continuity, I could see how they wouldn't be the same as TA herself. Haha about MR, yeah she's a toughie too. I'm so glad I got a few of her workouts, though I haven't done them in a while. I should pull them out soon.

Buzzer Wow that's interesting info on the Doves, good go know! Well I love GWW too, it's one of my favorite workouts, so that still really appeals to me. I also like the non-stop because it feels like it's just not a second wasted in the workout and it goes by really fast.

I would have been so annoyed at the movie night with the kids too, and you had to do ALL that running around while DH got to just lay around, especially as he was the one that insisted on having it even though LB was sick It makes me tired just thinking about it and trying to entertain too when you'd moved all of the stuff out of the laundry room and the house was in disarray. I would have taken a day off too!
Old 02-18-23, 10:49 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Thursday - MR all my best 3b + some cardio
Friday - bender ball pilates evolution + 20 min gina b walk
Today - MR all my best 4 part A + Caribbean aerobics low impact

got busy with trying to get moved out of my campus office. I should have been out weeks ago but with the pony I just didn't have time to get into campus and move out.

buzzer - I hear you on plans, this has not been my vision of retirement, no real rest or down time. I haven't even had time to shop for towels and things for our re-done bathroom. Sorry you're dh just sat around while you did all the work.

ebianco - volume 1 WOW, I did not keep that particular firm mostly because the warm up just right into stuff that's dang hard!
Old 02-19-23, 09:08 AM  
Buzzer

Ran with Trainer.. DONE!
Dove #1 again.. DONE!

The trainer had us do 20 minute run (!!!!) and a 2 minute walk, then another 5 minute run. I read the reviews before doing the workout, and people were saying the 20 minute run wasn't 20 minutes but instead 16 minutes and some seconds. So since I did a 3 minute walk warmup, I went into a run 1 minute into the trainer workout (so I did 4 minutes of walking) I worked my way from 4.1 mph to 4.4 mph, and stayed there for the 20 minutes. I could do it!! I did flatten out the inclines, since one incline was up to 17% !! We are beginners, we aren't going to run hills like that. So I kept the incline 4% and lower. It was great! I was so proud of myself that I ran for 20 minutes! Of course, I used to run for an hour and it was fine, but that's not where I am anymore. 20 minutes was a huge accomplishment!

I have slowed down the pace from 4.8 to 4.4, however he walks at 2.6 mph and I walk at 3. So I figure it's a tradeoff. I will work up to the speed at long intervals again, right now I am happy to have completed it, even if my run is someone elses fast walk!!

Yesterday I did Dove 1 again. I just love this workout! It is really complete. The only thing I don't like about it is that the weights we use for biceps are too light, however the way she moves, I went up to 5's this workout and you couldn't move at her pace with higher weights. Plus the moves between exercises so fast, you wouldn't be able to grab a bigger weight then pyramid down. It's fine though. I am really enjoying this workout! I even did some of the pushups, which I am currently hating pushups. She does a million sets of pushups, and after about half a million (when she did the decline pushups) I grabbed my 15's and just started to do chest press. I am good with that.

I don't know, there's just something about this workout I love. I think it's because it's one of those where you are done, you don't workout crazy hard, but you feel worked out and good. She doesn't spend a ton of the time on legs, however I think that's why I like it. The legs can be tough, however they aren't overworked so I can still run the next day and not regret my workout the day before. She does maybe 8 burpees, however I put my hands on the weight bench and do them (very cheater way). I get a cardio workout, but not a sucking wind cardio workout. I get a weight workout, but not a "my muscles are dead!" workout. I don't know. It's perfect right now! And it's FUN! I really should try some of the other workouts, however I am just loving this one too much. Hopefully the two I haven't tried are as fun as this one!

Today is another running day, 5 minute intervals. I'll have to see if I can increase my speed or if the lower speed is good for me.

I will say that I have been running off and on since November, and pretty much every other day in January and February (so far). I have lost zero weight, zero inches, and my muscles are tired almost every day. Out of 30 workouts in this series, I have completed 23 with no results. I know things are changing inside, I now have more endurance and my muscles are adapting, however as far as a weight loss program, I am so far calling this a bust. It's a good thing I like to run because otherwise I'd be really upset right now!

Yesterday was another running day... LB had martial arts (I always call it karate, even though it isn't karate, so I am trying to retrain myself to call it martial arts) at 9:30am. We had a little time off, which we wasted a bit and she practiced her violin, then we had violin at 12:30. It was supposed to be 45 minutes, however the teacher did 90, so we had to quick grab some chick fil a, get food into LB, and then go to her pre-testing from 3-5pm. The pre-test was like 45 minutes away. So it was a panic day! LB was exhausted. We got the prep cycle schedule (which is what she is going into in martial arts for her belt) and there is a class scheduled every Saturday until Mother's Day, then MD weekend we are going to Breckenridge for her next belt testing. That makes me even more glad we quit Westernaires! We would have missed all the rides until after Mother's Day! There's no way we could do both. And Martial Arts would have won had there been a conflict.

Today I hope is a quiet day! I feel like all we do is run anymore. I'm tired, LB is tired. The house is a complete disaster, luckily DH took the bins for the pantry out to the garage, however I still have some stuff that didn't make it into bins, plus some things that just need to be carried out. So I will have to do that today. Plus work on the laundry room/pantry room so we can get the new washer and dryer! So I guess today won't be a quiet day after all. ugh.

Eventmom: I'm glad you are getting your office cleaned out! Kinda makes it a little final though. After years of having the office, I always hated the final cleanup, and I'm sure it's worse when you have been there longer than I always was. I hope your pony is doing better! You've had a lot going on lately too.

Ebianco: I haven't forgotten about you! I got your address, however I feel like I am so rushed when we go out I haven't popped anything in the mail for you. It's not that you aren't important, it's just that I am so frazzled and am driving around with it. I just feel so scattered lately! I need to pull my head together. I hope you are doing well! Sounds like it, however sometimes I know I appear better than I actually am. I need to look back at what stretch you did last Thursday, it sounds great! I LOVE Firm Vol 1. That was my gateway workout! I can recite that whole workout with her, and even do things with her I know it so well. Sometimes, if I am feeling up to it, I do my Susan impression all the way through the workout, even doing the facial expressions and mouthing the words. I love that workout! That's one I will never, EVER get rid of!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 02-19-23, 08:49 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

MR all my best vol 4 part 5 + 20 minutes Kari Sweat II

rode my horse!

buzzer - yeah, getting out of this office has been a process. I kept my dissertation research in boxes in it, and it's been a bit emotional to get rid of my data. Also found some really old stuff that I have no idea why I kept all these years (30 years moved from PA to Tulsa to Norman) but I also never really had time to sort through all of it. I've still ended up bring home some boxes but mostly I've filled recycling bins. sigh. Great job on the running! The pony is getting better and we only have to give him medicine every 5 hours, we'll reduce it further next week.

ebianco - waves ! hope you had a good weekend.
Old 02-20-23, 11:36 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I finished my workout week yesterday with Tonique youtube warm up (her beach youtube workouts don't seem to be on YouTube anymore, so thank goodness I downloaded them a few years ago) which was 10 minutes, then Pure Barre Resistance series #1, the whole thing which was 50 minutes, then Super Callenetics just the leg stretches and it was about 68 minutes altogether. I felt so invigorated after this workout!! I feel bulky and puffy from the weight training and I am hoping pilates/barre/tonique/etc will help lean me out again. Although, I am likely to still incorporate Caroline's upper body workouts because that really gives me results for my upper body. For barre, I am going to cycle through the whole Resistance series of four then tackle the Focus which are longer/harder, at which time hopefully my barre endurance will have improved!

Today and tomorrow are planned rest days although I'm still getting my steps in on the treadmill and through cleaning. I have absolutely zero obligations today and finally I am feeling less exhausted. I am just moving so leisurely and it's been great.

Eventmom Haha yeah Firm Volume 1 is really hard but I like my modification of doing the cardio on the rebounder. You are in the zone with MR! I've heard the bender ball workouts were good but I never ended up getting any.

Buzzer Wow congratulations on your 20 minutes of running! I hear you about weight loss results but at least you're enjoying the running! I miss running so much but my knees continue to feel fantastic which is a constant motivator for me to stay away. The Dove workout 1 sounds amazing! i know what you mean about falling in love with one workout so much you don't even want to move on. I felt that way with Turbo Fire years ago, I really liked the TF 30 and then TF 45 workouts so much that I just didn't even want to try any of the others LOL.

You are so sweet about sending something in the mail, don't let it stress you out seriously!!! If you already got a card that's lovely, but if you didn't yet then don't stress yourself out, I really appreciate your support and can feel the love

Haha I also do the Susan impression in Firm Volume 1! Isn't that better than dieting, and it's tough, eh? Gets me every time And let's sweep! (inner thigh work)

The 10 Minute Solution Pilates stretch chapter is great, but if you don't have the DVD it's nothing really unique that you wouldn't be able to find something similar on youtube. The first half is spent on hamstring/hip flexor stretching and the second half is straddle stretching and standing around the world with some other stuff mixed in like cat/cows. For me it's the nostalgia and comfort because I've done this workout countless times.
Old 02-20-23, 05:07 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

joy of yoga - old one by Sara Ivanhoe. Not sure where I got but it's new to me. I made a note no downward dog so I went for it, I wanted something not too hard but dang plenty of downward dog. anyway, may not be a keeper.

ebianco - the rebounder would help with Firm vol 1 but it's tough in any form. Callanetics - so apparently Hamelin d'abell (sp?) I'm on his fb group - so he does one on one consultations and often recommends the original callanetics 1xweek to 'pull in / tone' so if you're feeling a callan moment might think about that one.

hi buzzer!
Old 02-21-23, 11:08 AM  
Buzzer

Two days (unintentionally)off... DONE!
Ran with trainer in Morocco.. DONE!

I love this trainer! I seriously do. I have done 25 workouts in this series, and am bummed it's almost over! I need to look up the next series with him. I remember seeing a whole bunch of progressions with him, I am just not sure where to find it all! I will figure it out though. The history, the other languages, the tidbits of info, and his knowledge of the body and how it works is so fascinating. I looked him up, and apparently he is a pretty big deal in the running world. Sadly, he had a really bad really rare form of cancer in 2020, however he has mostly recovered and is doing well. Then, he got hit by a car in 2021 He is recovering from that too! Man, he is amazing. I am really loving this program.

So today we did 4, 5 minute runs. I did them at 4.5 mph, which is .1 mph faster than I was the last few runs! Not a huge jump, but it is a progression! I'll take it. I walked 3.3mph between the runs, for a total of only like 2.1 miles. Then I walked at the end for .54 miles, ending with 2.64 miles total. Not horrible, I am getting there! I looked up my year to date, and I have run 43 miles since January 1. Not that my clothes feel any better, however I am going on the impression that my innards are changing even if my outward isn't. I am loving the runs, and I am definitely slower, but enjoying it! I think at this point I'd rather enjoy it than go faster.

I was considering taking on the laundry room project. I have the floor, I just had to figure out how to do things. So I took DH in the room, and pointed out things I wanted to do, and questioned some things that I had no idea what they were. He gave me a few pointers, then took pictures of the room. I asked him "why are you taking pictures?" he said "I am going to see if Tim can do this." Tim is a guy we had work on our garage. He is fabulous! We absolutely love him. He fits in with the family, and loves the dogs. The dogs love him too. So Tim came over yesterday and looked at it, and he will be here Monday to work on it! I am kinda relieved. I had no idea what I was doing, and really didn't have much desire to do it, just to have it done. So I am grateful for Tim!!

Ebianco: I have a card for you, I have just been driving around with it. I suck. I will send it off today, LB will remind me and we will do it! HA! No wonder I don't keep in touch with people. I don't remember to. I get so caught up in other things I forget, then get home and smack my forehead. I am glad you can feel the love from us. We really are still praying for you (that we can remember to do!) and supporting you and your family best we can from across the country! LB hears about my workout friends, so she is good at reminding me to add you guys into our prayers

Firm vol 1... we did that one with my Mom years ago! We would walk around quoting Susan all the time! HA! If I was whining about something, she would say "hard eh? Keep working" I saw her during covid on a video she posted to a group I'm in on Facebook, and she still fit into the yellow leotard!!! She really puts me to shame!!

On the Dove, I am modifying my lunges to putting the front foot on the step. My toes are just not having lunges anymore, and I am finding this is a good alternative since my toes don't bend that way anymore (on the back leg). I was looking in the mirror and they were all cockeyed and it looked like it could lead to pain. I really do love this workout! I think I said it before, however it doesn't have a big emphasis on the legs, which is what I need since I am running and I don't want to overdo it. I'll have to try the other workouts soon though so I can see if they are just as good as #1. I would recommend this one though if you are in the market for a new workout!!

Eventmom: it has been BEAUTIFUL here! we had the door open yesterday! Today is beautiful again, however this evening is snow. Hopefully not too much, I don't want to miss another community day tomorrow. I hope you guys are getting some of this warm weather too!! I totally get it about your office. So sad! Hard to get rid of things you've had for so long, that literally have been your adult identity. I held onto things for a while after LB was born, just in case I went back into the business. However, I eventually had to admit that I was just storing it, and probably not ever going to go back to using it. I took one last read through, one last look, closed my eyes, and put it in the trash. It was hard. I still regret only one thing I got rid of... there was a rolling workout from a magazine that was a great workout! I kept it for years, and still kinda know what it was, however I am really sad because I am pretty sure I tossed it. It reminds me a LOT of some of the TTapp, so I would love to find it and see if it was Teresa!! I think it's just gone though.

Anyhow, hopefully it gets easier for you and you don't look back! you have had a great career!! I remember my Mom after she retired saying that she doesn't know how she ever found time to work. She just somehow kept so busy in retirement!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14

Tags
fitprime just right