Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-18, 06:01 PM  
Sara1000

Any Silver Sneakers members here?

Do you find you still prefer your exercise videos?

When you reach 65 and if you choose to get Medicare Advantage you may receive a free memberships to local gyms through the Silver Sneakers program. In our town this includes the Y.

Although the Y has many machines, since the membership is free for me, I go almost daily to use only the recumbent bike and sometimes the treadmill. I have tried weight machines at various gyms and always found them somewhat tedious and boring. The only machine I sometimes use at the Y is the lat pulldown - since I don't have a pull up bar.

Everything else I think I need I get from workout videos - right now I'm using various Cathe upper body workouts. So much variety! I don't come close to her weight on the newer videos - seems like she has really increased her weight over the years - but I do keep pushing myself to go as hard as I can. You have to be careful of your joints as you get older.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 11:30 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I'm a member of Silver Sneakers but don't go to gyms. They have an online fitness video series but I keep forgetting to do them! They also send out emails with lots of interesting and useful info. Oh - you don't have to be a member of a Medicare Advantage plan to belong to Silver Sneakers. I think it depends more on your insurance company and if they offer it. I have Medicare as my primary insurance with a United Healthcare supplement and I get Silver Sneakers included with that.

P.S. Yes, I still prefer my fitness DVD's!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 08:00 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I’ll be joining the Y in July “just in case” I decide I want to stop in for a class. It’s close to my house, but I haven’t been to a gym in years and it would be so obvious if I Joni-O’d a class.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 09:01 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I’ll be joining the Y in July “just in case” I decide I want to stop in for a class. It’s close to my house, but I haven’t been to a gym in years and it would be so obvious if I Joni-O’d a class.
I haven't done any of the classes - but I think if you tell the instructor you may leave early if it doesn't feel right they would understand.

Where I go they have regular classes and different SS classes. On the equipment about half the patrons look over 65 and the rest are serious body builder types and some just very fit looking, some overweight, some not at all. Some of the patrons look ancient and I am so glad to see them using the gym.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 01:08 PM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

My insurance includes $100 off of the YMCA fee or other approved health club fees. I joined the Y mainly for the deep water jogging classes and the fact that I can do that type of workout at other times early in the morning. I went to 2 Silver Sneakers classes, both had good instructors. It looked like the age range was between the mid-sixties to 80s. For weights, they were doing between 1 - 5 lbs, well below what I usually use. The cardio, balance and stretching seemed good for beginners. the elderly and those with limited mobility etc.

If I wanted to do the pool and Silver Sneakers' classes, I would have to wait for an hour in between the two. I guess I would fit into the age range at almost 77, but they are not for me just yet. I have more videos than I care to admit to and thus have the ability to enjoy the flexibility and freedom to adjust my routine however I wish on any particular day.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 01:44 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Joni LOL
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silver sneakers, ymca