Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-14, 01:52 PM  
slysam

Question about prenatal yoga

Hi, I am very early in the first trimester. Other than fatigue, I could do most of my normal workouts. I do have quite a few decently challenging (but not to much so) prenatal workouts that feel right for me now. But I've not had good luck with prenatal yoga dvds. The one's I've tried felt slow and boring too me and I wasn't sure I was getting much out of them. It might be different later on. The normal practices have a warning not to do them when pregnant. Local prenatal classes usually suggest not doing yoga until the second trimester and don't allow you to join until 3 months (that sort of makes sense for a class anyway to wait until that iffy first trimester is over before going fully public). I do have a fertility yoga set that claims the luteal phase yoga is safe for early pregnancy (it is very mild) but they specify that you transition to prenatal yoga as soon as you see the positive test.

My question... Does anyone know whether I should be able to do regular yoga like "Namaste" yoga and just avoid or modify certain poses? Or whether there are any reasonably short, semi-fun prenatal yoga practices on dvd? Ideally one without too much "baby talk" as I've had a couple miscarriages so am a little self protective of my emotions right now until I get past 12 weeks. I have Shiva's and it looks okay for later but involves using a chair for support or even to sit on and I don't really need those modifications right now. The others I tried were very slow (and an hour long) and used lots of blocks and props which really isn't my preference. I prefer more of a flowing style of yoga with minimal props. If the DVD has nice music--all the better.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote