Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-14, 10:49 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I was taking aerobics classes in the 80's that were highly choreographed. I asked the instructors where they learned their routines or if they choreographed them themselves. They said they learned them from tapes. That was it for me. I figured I'd just use tapes too. All that were available at that time were Kathy Smith and Jane Fonda. However, I turned on the TV and discovered Charlene, Gilad, Denise Austin, Margaret Richard and Joanie Greggains. It was truly a golden age of exercise TV. I've never looked back since.

I have taken Pilates and Yoga classes, but my base fitness is done with videos.
Old 10-13-14, 08:37 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I was taking aerobics classes in the 80's that were highly choreographed. I asked the instructors where they learned their routines or if they choreographed them themselves. They said they learned them from tapes. That was it for me. I figured I'd just use tapes too. All that were available at that time were Kathy Smith and Jane Fonda. However, I turned on the TV and discovered Charlene, Gilad, Denise Austin, Margaret Richard and Joanie Greggains. It was truly a golden age of exercise TV. I've never looked back since.

I have taken Pilates and Yoga classes, but my base fitness is done with videos.
And pilates and yoga can rely on videos, too ... and steps beyond ...

I had learned enough of the U.S. East Coast shoot-the-s#!t patter from live aerobics classes in Miami and Miami Beach, Florida, and live mat pilates and yoga classes in New York City (though, against some of a handful of relatively greedy studios' preferences, overwhelmingly their level-deflated beginners' yoga classes for that express purpose), that I formulated my own, at-home routine, replete with cues and aforesaid affirmations. A list of poses alone doesn't do it for me anymore, with my aging memory.

Only certain dvds and totally-to-offline downloads (that era in downloads has, sadly, passed) enabled me to repeatedly, efficiently play them ... in order to research the intermediate stuff without having to look at Shiva Rea's body ...

Nothing personal, Shiva-ji: I have your Yoga Shakti-- it's barely lost its "virginity" -- thankfully, Amazon.com at the time had been running a sale to get rid of too many of them in stock. I have done the 35 minute classical sequence plus some of your 5 minute kriyas; and will probably do them again soon; I share your dancer's spirit but not your body type ...
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 10:48 PM  
Genevieve M

When I've tried to go back to the gym, this is what I experience:
- aggressive power grab for parking spaces
- instructors using a mike who are just LOUD
- music that is blaring

On the whole, very unsatisfying and not cheap, either! I would much rather do my video thing at home.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 08:52 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo View Post
Inspired by Judy's thread, it got me thinking about the dismissive attitude that still prevails today towards at-home fitness: "videos don't work." Where does this mentality come from? Is the bias that tainted video fitness in previous decades still prevalent today?

P.S. I had a whole dissertation ready on why I think video fitness still gets dismissed even today, but I would rather hear your personal opinions and experiences versus reading my windbag musings.
Videos don't work if you don't do them. Oh yeah - NOTHING works if you don't do it. But I think a lot of people have trouble self-motivating, so they buy a video, stick it on a shelf, and tell their friends that videos don't work.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 08:59 AM  
PhyllisG

I think you are right about self motivating. I get that comment often from people who know I work out at home. Yet I find that easier than getting in my car and driving to the gym. I work out early in the a.m whatever the weather is. Years ago I took a step class at the local gym and found it not very inspiring. At the time I was doing a lot of Cathes step DVDs and these classes were just not as much fun. Also I find the gym equipment is often too big for me and gravitate to the free works which again I have at home.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 09:54 AM  
TinierTina

Audiophile exercisers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
When I've tried to go back to the gym, this is what I experience:
- aggressive power grab for parking spaces
- instructors using a mike who are just LOUD
- music that is blaring

On the whole, very unsatisfying and not cheap, either! I would much rather do my video thing at home.
It makes a lot of sense!

I would have to really pay through the no$e to find the gym with my kind of ambient piped-in music that I can dance-exercise to in the open areas (I won't and don't own an iPod) ...

I know those gyms exist-- here in the big city; in fact, I guested at one ... the ones who know not to play explicitly-lyric'ed hip-hop, jazz, or that caterwauling alternative music ....

But, really!

For the most part, music is OK on the videos and I wouldn't turn down some of that world-class instruction that comes with it.

I also do .w4m files (Windows music files) when my transmission speed is right-- at home, as well.
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 01:17 PM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

Sort of OT but this thread reminded me of watching the season of biggest loser where there was a contestant representing every state. One contestant who got sent home (Poppy I think) talked about how she lost weight after getting sent home by using workout dvds and she said something like Remember workout dvds? I'm single handedly keeping these companies in business. I knew she was exaggerating to be funny but her comment just rubbed me the wrong way. Like just because you didn't realize they still existed doesn't mean there isn't a big community of people out there who have been doing them all along.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym membership, ymca